News
Port-Harcourt helicopter crash: NSIB recovers Black Box, search for 3 missing people continues

The Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), in collaboration with other Search and Recovery partners has recovered the Flight Data Recorder (FDR) and Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) from the ditched Sikorsky SK76 helicopter.
The NSIB’s Director, Public Affairs and Family Assistance, Mrs Bimbo Oladeji disclosed in a statement made available to newsmen on Friday in Lagos.
Oladeji said that the Search and Recovery partners in the investigation are the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency , the Nigerian Navy, and HydroDive.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the ditched Sikorsky SK76 with registration 5N BQG crashed off the coast of Bonny Finima, Atlantic Ocean, Port Harcourt, River on October 24.
The helicopter, operated by Eastwind Aviation, was transporting eight passengers at the time of the accident.
Oladeji said that since the accident, NSIB and its Search and Recovery partners had coordinated a search and recovery effort.
She added that the search had been in collaboration with local and international partners to locate and retrieve the bodies of the deceased and the critical components necessary for a comprehensive investigation.
The spokesperson said that the FDR and CVR, commonly referred to as the aircraft’s “black box,” was retrieved Friday morning.
According to her, the device is crucial in helping investigators analyse flight performance and cockpit communications to determine the sequence of events leading up to the accident.
She added that the recovered recorder had been secured for transport to NSIB’s data analysis lab, where it would undergo data extraction and analysis by NSIB’s specialists.
Oladeji added that the analysis would help the bureau gain insights into the operational and technical conditions preceding the accident and to help determine the cause of the accident.
She said that as at Friday , three individuals remained unaccounted for, and long-term search efforts continue in coordination with local and international partners.
She added that further updates would be provided as the investigation progressed and significant developments emerged.
The NSIB Director-General, Capt. Alex Badeh commended the recovery teams and stressed the importance of the investigation.
“The recovery of the Flight Data Recorder and Cockpit Voice Recorder marks a monumental step in understanding what led to this tragic accident.
“The black box holds vital information that will provide invaluable insight into the sequence of events leading up to the accident, which will help us to determine the cause and inform any necessary safety recommendations.
“While our thoughts are with the families of those still unaccounted for, concerted efforts are being made to find the missing individuals and provide answers to the families affected by this accident, ” he said.
NAN also reports that the NSIB has recovered bodies of five of the eight individuals said to be aboard the ill-fated helicopter.
On October 31, the bureau announced the recovery of the wreckage of the ditched chopper. (NAN)
National
CDS INTRODUCES ATTACK DRONES AND LOCALLY MADE BOMBS IN ABUJA

General Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, has assured that all security challenges facing the nation will be effectively addressed by the year’s end.
This statement was made during the launch of attack drones and the demonstration of locally produced bombs, developed by a homegrown technology firm.
The event was attended by security specialists and senior government officials, as General Musa showcased the indigenous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to the audience.
Accompanied by Ajao Adewale, the Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, and Caleb Mutfwang, the Governor of Plateau State, General Musa emphasized the ongoing bureaucratic obstacles in acquiring military equipment from abroad.
Governor Mutfwang stressed the urgency for decisive measures against insecurity, calling on leaders to prevent any entity within the nation from possessing military capabilities.
The operational features of the UAVs were also demonstrated, with General Musa expressing satisfaction with this advancement, labeling it a pivotal step in combating insecurity in the country.
News
Lift wanted tag on socialite, Aisha Achimugu – Coalition urges EFCC

A coalition of youth organisations has urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to reconsider its wanted tag on socialite, Dr Aisha Sulaiman Achimugu, OFR.
The organisations, Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative said this in a joint press statement they issued on Thursday in Abuja.
According to them, the declaration of Achimugu wanted by the anti-corruption agency came to them as a rude shock.
The joint statement was signed by Comrade Emma Niboro and Ali Ameh for Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative, respectively.
They described Achimugu as a dedicated friend of the youths, who had always shown commitment to the welfare and care of the downtrodden.
According to the youth coalition, “we know the Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, as a man who came with utmost zeal to sanitize the agency. He has already demonstrated this and we are proud of his achievements so far.
“However, we urge him to resist pressure from politicians, which is a plague that has dwarfed EFCC for several years of its existence.
“The commission had hitherto remained a tool for politicians to undue their perceived political foes and this has always rubbed off on the credibility of the agency.
“The case of Achumugu doesn’t appear to be different in any way, as the haste with which she was declared wanted showed there is a hand of Esau and voice of Jacob.
“Our appeal is that the commission should withdraw the wanted tag on her and give her ample time to report to the commission, as she has never been indicted of any offence whether in Nigeria or outside the country.”
While noting that Achimugu is a global figure, they added that they can always vouch for her integrity.
“We know her, she has always been of immense help to the youths and other members of the society.
“Her closeness to certain politicians should not be used as a tool to persecute or harass her,” the youths further stated.
News
Appea Court Lack Jurisdiction To Declare Abure As The National Chairman Of LP – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has overturned the Court of Appeal’s decision that recognised Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP). In a decisive ruling, a five-member panel declared that the Court of Appeal lacked the legal authority to determine the party’s leadership matters.
In a unanimous verdict, the highest court in the land stated that the Court of Appeal had no jurisdiction over the matter. The panel observed that since the case revolved around the internal leadership structure of the Labour Party, it fell outside the jurisdiction of the courts.
The ruling reinforced the long-standing principle that leadership disputes within political parties should be resolved internally, rather than through judicial intervention.
The Supreme Court stressed that leadership struggles within political parties are purely internal matters. According to legal principles, courts should not interfere in such issues, as they fall under the party’s constitution and governance framework. By upholding this legal doctrine, the apex court reaffirmed that political parties must settle their leadership crises independently.
The Supreme Court upheld the appeal lodged by Senator Nenadi Usman and a fellow appellant, ruling that their claims were valid. Their appeal challenged the earlier judgment, arguing that it was flawed due to jurisdictional overreach. After thorough legal scrutiny, the Supreme Court found merit in their argument and ruled in their favour.
The legal battle also involved a cross-appeal filed by supporters of Julius Abure, who sought to challenge the decision against their leader. However, the Supreme Court dismissed this cross-appeal, declaring it unsubstantiated and lacking merit. The ruling effectively ended the legal contest over the Labour Party’s chairmanship, cementing the judiciary’s stance on non-interference in party leadership disputes.