• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

JUST IN: Seun Kuti Out Of Police Detention

Elanza by Elanza
May 23, 2023
in News
0
JUST IN: Seun Kuti Out Of Police Detention
0
SHARES
12
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Afrobeat singer Seun Kuti who has been in police detention over his trial on charges of assaulting a police officer was released on Tuesday evening.

Seun Kuti was arraigned before a Chief Magistrate Court, Yaba on May 16, over charges of assaulting a police officer.

RelatedPosts

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

This was after a video in which he was seen slapping and shoving a police officer on May 13 on the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos State went viral.

The police charged him with slapping an inspector after driving dangerously on the bridge and deliberately blocking a moving police vehicle.

Chief Magistrate Adeola Olatubosun had during his first arraignment ordered his remand for 48 hours.

She, however, held that the Seun Kuti should be admitted to bail in the sum of one million Naira with two sureties in like sum, at the end of the 48-hour remand.

However, the Magistrate had after the expiration of the 48 hours last on Thursday, adjourned the case till today, Tuesday.

This was after she extended Kuti’s remand by four days following an application by the police to enable completion of investigation into the alleged assault.

But the Magistrate failed to show up in court early today, leading to protests by some youths at the court premises.

They carried placards with inscriptions such as “Free Seun Kuti”.

One of the protesters, who didn’t mention her name, alleged in an interview with NAN that the absence was mischievous and intended to further keep Kuti in custody.

ALSO READ:  Air Peace Blames Turbulence For Benin-Abuja Flight Mid-Air Delay

Another protester, Mr Hakeem Abodunrin, urged the court not to delay Kuti’s release from custody.

” The alleged offence is straightforward, and the case should be treated accordingly,” he said.

Activist Omoyele Sowore announced on Tuesday via his Twitter handle that the music star has regained his freedom.

He wrote, “Just to announce that @RealSeunKuti has been released from @PoliceNG detention in Lagos. Hasta la victoria siempre!”

Recall that Kuti’s lawyers in a statement had earlier said that he would be released on bail as ordered by the Magistrate.

A viral video shows Kuti smiling gleefully as he is being welcomed by by his teeming fans after his release.

Tags: Seun kuti
Previous Post

Celebrating a Great Achiever, Dr, Mrs Elizabeth Jack-Rich @30

Next Post

Newcastle qualify For Champions League After 20 Years

Elanza

Elanza

Related Posts

El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Govt Most Corrupt, Worst in Nigerian History

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Ojima-ojo The Labour Party Candidates Forum on Tuesday alleged political persecution in the arrest of former Kaduna State...

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Next Post
Newcastle qualify For Champions League After 20 Years

Newcastle qualify For Champions League After 20 Years

Bukayo Saka Signs New Long-Term Arsenal Deal

Bukayo Saka Signs New Long-Term Arsenal Deal

Recommended

DHQ to Deploy Special Forces ‘Savanah Shield’ Against Terrorism in Kwara and Niger

DHQ to Deploy Special Forces ‘Savanah Shield’ Against Terrorism in Kwara and Niger

7 days ago
FHA Mall Debuts in Abuja

FHA Mall Debuts in Abuja

8 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,074)
  • News (9,647)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform