Connect with us

National

Expository Bible Calls Strengthening Biblical Preaching in Africa

Published

on

By Abubakar Yunusa

The Langham Expository Bible Preaching Initiative (LEBPI) has concluded its inaugural Africa Expository Bible Preaching Summit (AEBPS), held from August 12th to 16th, 2024, at First Baptist Church, Garki, Abuja.

The summit, themed “Preaching that Honors God” (Isaiah 55:8), brought together esteemed preachers, leaders, and scholars to address the state of biblical preaching across Africa.

In its communiqué, the summit commended preachers who have remained faithful to expository preaching, often at great personal cost.

This dedication, the summit noted, has been instrumental in nurturing biblically grounded congregations and promoting sound preaching across the continent.

The summit called on pastors and preachers to recommit to the unwavering proclamation of God’s Word through expository preaching.

This method, the communiqué emphasized, is essential for delivering the transformative message of the Gospel with clarity and relevance, addressing both individual and societal needs.

A significant portion of the communiqué was dedicated to addressing the integrity of the pulpit.

The summit urged preachers to reject greed and materialism, upholding the pulpit as a sacred space for imparting God’s truth. It also condemned the promotion of false doctrines, which undermine the credibility of the church and mislead congregants.

The summit further advocated for active church involvement in societal issues, particularly in combating injustice and insecurity.

It emphasized the church’s role in promoting justice and peace amidst rising challenges like terrorism and banditry, which threaten national well-being.

Finally, the communiqué highlighted the importance of mentoring the next generation of preachers and acknowledged the invaluable contributions of women in the ministry.

ALSO READ:  Kyari: Driving Culture of Transparency, Professionalism, Productivity

The summit called for the establishment of robust standards for biblical teaching and preacher development to ensure that the tradition of sound, expository preaching continues to flourish across Africa.

The summit’s resolutions are expected to guide and inspire ongoing efforts to uphold and promote preaching that honors God throughout the continent.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

INEC: We are not partisan in failed recall of Natasha

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)
INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Police arrest crypto billionaire Blord over fraud, terrorism links

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

Channels

Continue Reading

National

INEC Not Partisan In Failed Recall Of Natasha – Spokesperson

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Police arrest crypto billionaire Blord over fraud, terrorism links

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

The lawmaker has made headlines in recent months after she accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexual harassment, a claim the Akwa Ibom lawmaker has equally denied.

She was thereafter suspended by the Red Chamber for violation of its rule of conduct.

Continue Reading

National

NSA Hands Over Ex-NYSC DG, 18 Other Kidnapped Victims To CDS

Published

on

The National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has handed over 19 kidnapped victims rescued by the security agencies to the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa.

The brief ceremony took place on Thursday at the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja.

The victims included Ambassador Gideon Yohanna, the former Director-General of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (retired) who had spent 56 days in captivity and 17 others, including a child.

Both Ribadu and Musa pledged to remain relentless until the criminals are wiped out and normalcy restored in the country.

“As a result of the work of our armed forces and other security services, we are able to rescue and bring back our own people,” he said.

“This time, it involves important personalities who served this country. We thank God for their lives, we are grateful to those who made it possible.

“This is an ongoing operation and we are doing it quite silently, we will go after the bad ones.”

ALSO READ:  Australia: Govt Publishes Proposals To Improve rlRoll-out Of Cyclone Reinsurance Pool
Continue Reading