• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Court orders I-G to release singer “Speed Darlington“ within 48 hours

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
December 23, 2024
in News
0
Court orders I-G to release singer “Speed Darlington“ within 48 hours
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram
A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Monday, ordered the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, to release the detained Singer, Darlington Achakpo, popularly known as Speed Darlington, within 48 hours.

Justice Musa Liman made the order in a ruling on an ex-parte motion moved by Achakpo’s counsel, David Ihuoma.

Justice Liman ordered the I-G to charge Speed Darlington to court or release him on bail unconditionally within 48 hours.

RelatedPosts

Sultanate Debunks Viral Protest Video Against Sultan Over Hardship

Hajj 2026: IHR Hails NAHCON Over Smooth Airlift, Seeks Better Services

Death Sentence Review Demanded as Youth Groups Unite for Victor Solomon

The judge adjourned the matter until Jan. 6 for the hearing of the substantive case .

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Speed Darlington, 39, was allegedly arrested by the police over allegations of “defamation and cyberstalking” of Burna Boy but was released on bail on 8 Oct.

A lawyer and human right activist, Deji Adeyanju alleged that Speed Darlington was apprehended in Lagos State following a petition by the ace award-winning artiste, Damini Ogulu, aka Burna Boy, and was moved to Abuja where he had been in detention.

The singer, also known as Akpi, was arrested on 4 Oct. following the release of a contentious video in which he allegedly mocked Burna Boy’s association with American rapper, Diddy, who had faced legal issues with the FBI over charges of sexual exploitation.

He was said to have been rearrested by the police on Nov. 27 and had since been on detention.

Meanwhile, in the ex-parte motion marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/1832/2024 dated and filed on Dec. 13 by his team of lawyers led by Deji Adeyanju, the I-G was the sole respondent.

ALSO READ:  Autonomy only way to save LGs from paralysis— Shehu Sani

The singer sought “an order directing the release of the applicant from the detention facility of the Force Intelligence Bureau at the Force Headquarters or any other facility where he is being kept by the respondent, pending the determination of the substantive originating motion on notice.

Alternatively, he sought “an order admitting him to bail on liberal terms pending the determination of the substantive originating motion on notice.

In the affidavit deposed to by Esther Eyisi, a Secretary in the law firm of Deji Adeyanju & Partners, alleged that Speed Darlington had been unlawfully detained since Nov. 27 by the officers of the I-G.

She said on Dec. 6, the singer filed an originating motion to enforce his fundamental human rights.

She said Darlington had been in detention at the Force Investigation Bureau (FIB) Force Headquarters, since Nov. 27, but had been recently transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Guzape.

Eyisi said he was previously arrested by the respondent for alleged cyber defamation and granted administrative bail.

“The respondent rearrested the applicant on November 27, 2024, on the purportedly ground of arraigning him in court.

“Rather than arraign the applicant in court, the respondent has kept him in detention since November 27, 2024,” she said.

She said the singer had been battling with severe high blood pressure and had been undergoing medical emergency that requires him to frequently have access to medical intervention.

“Most recently, while in detention, the applicant’s blood pressure spiked beyond a manageable condition,” she added.

The secretary said despite repeated demands for medical intervention, he had been deprived of medical attention and proper diagnosis by the officers of the respondent.

ALSO READ:  Duhu Dismisses Sowore’s Claims Against Gov. Zulum

According to her, if the respondent does not get the proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment, his health will continue to deteriorate.

She alleged that the I-G had resolved to detain Speed Darlington at his pleasure without arraignment.

“The applicant desires his temporary freedom pending the hearing and determination of the substantive origination motion on notice,” he said.

Eyisi said the singer is willing and ready to stand trial whenever the I-G is ready to arraign him.(NAN)

Previous Post

Maiyaki hands over to Ribadu as substantive Executive Secretary of NUC, identifies obsolete law as greatest challenges

Next Post

Education Alone Is Not Path To Success, Says LÓREIN Executive Chef

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Nigeria Is Not a Secular Country; It Is Multi-Religious, Declares Sultan of Sokoto

Sultanate Debunks Viral Protest Video Against Sultan Over Hardship

by Elanza
May 24, 2026
0

The Sultanate Council in Sokoto has dismissed as false a viral video circulating on social media which allegedly shows a...

Hajj 2026: IHR Hails NAHCON Over Smooth Airlift, Seeks Better Services

Hajj 2026: IHR Hails NAHCON Over Smooth Airlift, Seeks Better Services

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The 2026 Hajj Media Monitoring Team of the Independent Hajj Reporters (IHR) has commended the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria...

Death Sentence Review Demanded as Youth Groups Unite for Victor Solomon

Death Sentence Review Demanded as Youth Groups Unite for Victor Solomon

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

Kafanchan, Kaduna State – A coalition of youth groups from Nigeria’s Middle Belt, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Afenifere, and PANDEF has called...

Next Post
Education Alone Is Not  Path To Success, Says LÓREIN  Executive Chef

Education Alone Is Not Path To Success, Says LÓREIN Executive Chef

Alleged cybercrime: Drama in court as suspect begs to change plea

Alleged cybercrime: Drama in court as suspect begs to change plea

Recommended

FG, Foundation Seek Digital Transition in Civil Service

FG, Foundation Seek Digital Transition in Civil Service

3 days ago
Defect to APM, Group Tells Fubara

Defect to APM, Group Tells Fubara

4 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian Govt laments gaps in polio eradication despite $500m spent

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Musawah Movement Demands Constructive Political Dialogue Ahead of 202

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (836)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (412)
  • Health (253)
  • National (3,341)
  • News (10,409)
  • Opinion (445)
  • Politics (2,188)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (725)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform