Connect with us

News

ANLCA Boss Charges Agents on Policy Compliance, says Proper Classification is Key

Published

on

The National President, Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents ANLCA, Mr Emenike Nwokeoji has charged Agents on the need for compliance to the Nigeria Customs Service Act 2023 to ensure smooth operations at the ports.

Addressing members of the Abia Freight Forwarders Association who paid him a courtesy visit in his office in Port Harcourt the Rivers state capital, Monday, Nwokeoji said for agents to enjoy freight Forwarding business, they should stop taking risks for importers by engaging in wrong Valuation, classification and declaration of imported goods insisting that such practices have put agents in a great risks.

Nwokeoji who expressed happiness for the visit admonished agents “please read the Nigeria Customs Service Act 2023, very well and do the right thing. Don’t take risks for importers, the level of risks we are taking for importers is much and I don’t think it worths it” Nwokeoji insisted.

On the issue of multiple alerts on exiting containers by the Customs and other alleged unwholesome practices by some government agencies at the ports, Nwokeoji said he has concluded with the Onne customs Command on a central alert system and promised to tackle head on, other agencies like the SON, NAFDAC among others on the need to ensure a seamless operations at the Nigerian Ports.

The ANLCA boss, also used the opportunity to highlight on the recent concluded Comptroller General of Customs Conference 2023 which took place at the Continental Hotel in Lagos with the theme, “Leveraging Data Analytics for secure and Efficient Trade Facilitation in Customs Operations” saying it was a hugh success even as he applauded the Comptroller General of Customs, Alhaji Wale Adeniyi (MFR) for the recognition accorded ANLCA at the conference which according to him, has shown the level of harmonious relationship existing between the Nigeria Customs Service and ANLCA.

ALSO READ:  Asset Declaration: CCT Orders Aruwan, Shizzer, Abdullahi To Step Aside

Speaking on the reason for the courtesy visit, the President, Abia Freight Forwarders Association Chief Ijere Ibiam Eleanya stated that it would not be proper for them to wait till next year before visiting the National president.

He noted that as his brothers they should show solidarity and also as footsolders ensure he did not derail in his mandate to return ANLCA to her lost glory.

On his achievements so far as the visit coincided with the President’s 100 days in office, Eleanya said, that the President has done well. “I give him 80%.”

Continuing, he asserted “this Association was engulfed in a very serious crisis for a long time. It is like reconstructing a dilapidated house. And the president has been going round to unite everybody in the Association and in no distance time, all his efforts will begin to manifest.”

He said he was looking forward in two years time for a vibrant association where every member will be happy even as he praised him for a robust harmonious relationship with Customs and other agencies at the Ports.

In his Contribution, Rtn Chukwu Nnanna of Prestige Associates and member Abia Freight Fordwarders Association while speaking to journalists on the sideline of the event, stated that they were happy to visit the National President who has been busy since his assumption of office 100 days ago trying to rebuild what he termed a crisis ridden ANLCA.

On his performance so far, Nnanna who is also a member of the Eastern zonal presidential committee on Government agencies noted that “it has not been easy, you know the National president inherited an Association in chaos, yes, ANLCA was in a very turbulent time before he assumed office, but, I thank God, he is uniting ANLCA and bringing the lost respect and glory of the Association. Customs and other relevant agencies at the Ports are now seeing ANLCA as partners in progress than the previous years when the Association was relegated to the background, I see it as a very big achievement and in the next two years, it will be uhuru for ANLCA”, even as he enjoined every member of the association to rally round the National president for him to achieve his goals of reshaping the association to the part of greatness.

ALSO READ:  Oil Stakeholders Scores Tantita High after Two Years Engagement; Pondi

The high point of the visit was the presentation of the ANLCA National President’s portrait to him as a gift by the association.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FHA to Revalidate Commercial Approvals on Abuja Estates from April 3

Published

on

By Our Reporter

The Management of Federal Housing Authority FHA, under the leadership of Hon Oyetunde Oladimeji Ojo has asked residents of its estates in Abuja to provide approvals and approved documents and building plans for commercial purposes to the office of the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Federal Housing Authority FHA, Abuja forthwith.

A Press statement issued by the management and signed by the Public Relations Officer, Kenneth Chigelu on behalf of the authority directed the submission to be carried out at the Authority’s Head office, Julius Nyerere Crescent, Asokoro , Abuja beginning from Wednesday , 3rd April , 2025.

The directives covers all buildings irrespective of the approval dates , that became expedient , following management discovery of sharp practices by commercial outlets ,as most of this buildings are built either without approval and or in contravention to the granted approval.

Chigelu stated that management discovered that some commercial buildings are in contravention of approval granted them, through alterations in total contravention to the development control regulations of the Authority.

Following the danger posed , management will not allow such negative consequences that will pave way for indiscriminate building collapse, therefore, a controlled demolition was carried out by the authority, with a building with structural defects in March , 2025, on 5th Avenue, Gwarimpa Estate.

Consequently, owners of commercial apartments, which included Hotels , Supermarkets, Hospitals, Schools and Banks including shopping malls through this announcement are expected to submit their approved plans for revalidation.

Management expect strict compliance to this directive, as violators will attract heavy sanctions with authority’s non negotiable stance .

ALSO READ:  Sallah rams: Prices rise in Kano, buyers lament

The release further said ..

 

 

SPECIAL PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT

“The Management of Federal Housing Authority, FHA hereby calls on all owners of commercial properties in FHA Estates in Abuja, Federal Capital Territory to submit their approved building plans to the office of the Managing Director and Chief Executive, at the Authority’s head office, No 26 Julius Nyerere Crescent, Asokoro Abuja from Wednesday, April 3rd, 2025.

“This directive which covers all buildings irrespective of when the approval was given, has become expedient following Management’s discovery that most commercial outlets in these Estates are built without approvals, or developed outside the granted approval.”

” Management has also discovered that some commercial buildings are in contravention of the approval granted them for alteration, in total contravention and disregard to Development Control regulations. ”

“Following the dangers posed by this development, the Management of FHA would not fold its hand to allow this looming disaster to happen. It is to avert the ugly incidence of building collapse that the Authority carried out a controlled demolition exercise of one of its buildings with structural defect on Monday, 24th March. 2025 in 5th Avenue. Gwarinpa estate.”

“Consequently, all owners of commercial outlets: hotels, supermarkets, hospitals, schools, banks, shopping malls etc through this announcement are requested to submit their building approved plans for revalidation. All such buildings must undergo an integrity test.
Strict compliance to this directive is not negotiable as severe sanctions await defaulters. “

Continue Reading

News

Taraba Govt, NAPTIP Rescue 8 Trafficked Children, Arrest Suspects

Published

on

By Nahum Sule, Jalingo

The Taraba State Government, in partnership with the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), has successfully intercepted eight trafficked children who were en route to the South East and Cameroon.

In a statement to journalists in Jalingo, the capital of Taraba State, Mrs. Mary Sinjen, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Child Development, revealed that the children had been deceived and transported to various southeastern states in Nigeria.

According to her, the children were trafficked to locations such as Aba, Onitsha, and Imo State under the false pretence that they were orphans.

The interception took place in Gembu, the headquarters of the Sardauna Local Government Area, where it was reported that the traffickers were seeking additional children to abduct.

Mrs. Sinjen affirmed, “Thanks to the prompt response from the Ministry and NAPTIP, eight of the children have been safely returned to Taraba State.

“The primary suspect, Mrs. Patience, along with several of her accomplices, has been apprehended and is currently in custody as legal proceedings commence.

“Search and rescue operations for other trafficked children are ongoing.”

She further emphasised that the state government will not tolerate any unscrupulous individuals who exploit children’s rights for illicit gain.

“This administration is wholly committed to ensuring justice, rehabilitating victims, and enhancing inter-agency collaboration to combat child trafficking,” she stated.

“We urge all residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activities, as the welfare and protection of our children is a collective responsibility.”

In the meantime, authorities in Taraba have reiterated the importance of community vigilance and reporting any suspicious activities, stressing that safeguarding children requires a unified effort.

ALSO READ:  Senate Urges FCTA To Closedown Illegal Garages
Continue Reading

National

CDS INTRODUCES ATTACK DRONES AND LOCALLY MADE BOMBS IN ABUJA

Published

on

General Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, has assured that all security challenges facing the nation will be effectively addressed by the year’s end.

This statement was made during the launch of attack drones and the demonstration of locally produced bombs, developed by a homegrown technology firm.

The event was attended by security specialists and senior government officials, as General Musa showcased the indigenous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to the audience.

Accompanied by Ajao Adewale, the Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, and Caleb Mutfwang, the Governor of Plateau State, General Musa emphasized the ongoing bureaucratic obstacles in acquiring military equipment from abroad.

Governor Mutfwang stressed the urgency for decisive measures against insecurity, calling on leaders to prevent any entity within the nation from possessing military capabilities.

The operational features of the UAVs were also demonstrated, with General Musa expressing satisfaction with this advancement, labeling it a pivotal step in combating insecurity in the country.

ALSO READ:  Floods hit Maiduguri zoo, animals suddenly break free
Continue Reading