• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Alleged $6bn fraud: Ex-power minister opposes EFCC amended charge

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
October 21, 2024
in News
0
Alleged $6bn fraud: Ex-power minister opposes EFCC amended charge
0
SHARES
9
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A former minister of power, Dr Olu Agunloye, on Monday challenged the amended charge filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in an FCT High Court.

He is standing trial on allegations of some infractions in the award of the six billion dollars Mambila Hydropower plant in Taraba.

RelatedPosts

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Agunloye, who served as minister under former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration, is charged with seven counts bordering on forgery, disobedience to presidential order before Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie.

In the suit, marked FCT/HC/CR/617/22, EFCC alleged that Agunloye on May 22, 2003 awarded a contract titled “Construction of 3,960 megawatt Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Station on build, operate.

EFCC claimed that the transfer basis was to Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited without any budgetary provision, approval and cash backing.

The commission also, among others, alleged that it traced some suspicious payments made by Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited to the former minister’s accounts.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

At the resumed hearing of the matter , the prosecution counsel, Abba Muhammad, SAN, informed the court that the prosecution filed an amended charge before the court and also provided additional six proof of  evidence.

He, therefore, urged the court to allow the defendant take his plea to the amended charge.

Opposing this, Agunloye, through his counsel, Adeola Adedipe SAN, told the court that the case was adjourned for the defence to cross examine the second prosecution witness (PW2), Adewale Agunbiade.

ALSO READ:  Mohbad's Tragic Demise, Deputy Governor Visit Family

He told the court that the defence came prepared to cross examine the PW2.

He stated that the prosecution should allow its witness to be cross examined first before talking about amendment of the charge before the court.

He said the prosecution cannot unilaterally amend the charge before the court.

Adedipe further said for the prosecution to amend the charge against the defendant, it ought to apply formally to the court for leave to do so.

He cited the provisions of Section 218(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA).

Responding, Muhammed said the prosecution has the power to amend the charge against any defendant at any stage of trial before judgment and cited Section 216(1) and (2) to back his submission.

After listening to their submissions, Justice Onwuegbuzie directed the prosecution to formally apply for the amendment of the charge to allow the defence respond to same.

He added that the court would hear the application at the next adjourned date.

The judge subsequently adjourned the case until Nov.  11.

Earlier, the PW2, a Compliance Officer with Jaiz Bank, who previously worked as a Compliance Officer with Guaranty Trust Bank, had on Sept 23 testified.

He told the court that while he was with the later, the EFCC wrote an investigation activity inquiry to the bank in respect two of its customers, Agunloye and one Sotirin  Abiodun.

The witness said GT Bank furnished the EFCC with the account opening documents, statements of accounts of the customers.

Reading from exhibits earlier tendered by the prosecution, the witness told the court that N5.2 million was transferred to Agunloye by Sotirin between August and November , 2019.(NAN)

ALSO READ:  State Chapters Congratulate New SWAN President, Isaiah Benjamin
Previous Post

Bobrisky enjoyed some privileges in prison – FG panel

Next Post

Wizkid breaks Spotify record with hit single “Piece of My Heart”

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Govt Most Corrupt, Worst in Nigerian History

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Ojima-ojo The Labour Party Candidates Forum on Tuesday alleged political persecution in the arrest of former Kaduna State...

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Next Post
Wizkid breaks Spotify record with hit single “Piece of My Heart”

Wizkid breaks Spotify record with hit single “Piece of My Heart”

U.S. election: Harris, Trump head to swing states

U.S. election: Harris, Trump head to swing states

Recommended

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

18 hours ago
Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

7 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,074)
  • News (9,647)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform