Connect with us

Business

Customs Area 1 Ph to Partner with EFCC on National Security

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service Area 1 Command Port Harcourt says it is seeking collaboration with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on National Security.

This disclosure was made Thursday in a press release made available to our correspondent by the Command’s public relations officer Superintendent of Customs Oscar Ivara on a courtesy visit by the Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Mustapha Hashim to the Zonal Command of the Anti-Graft agency in Port Harcourt the Rivers state capital.

Speaking on the relationship between the two sister government agencies, the Customs Area Controller of the Command, Comptroller Mustapha Hashim stated that the roles of the Nigeria Customs Service and that of the EFCC are intertwined, noting that both agencies are geared towards achieving a common National Interest and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of Nigerians.

Hashim, who stated that the visit was to seek further cooperation with the EFCC in the areas of intelligence gathering and information sharing, emphasized that the efforts being put in place by the Nigeria Customs Service to generate revenue, suppress smuggling and facilitate international trade cannot be totally achieved if all security agencies in the country do not work in synergy.

Speaking on the achievements recorded in the command so far, Comptroller Hashim disclosed that despite the low influx of container vessels, calling at the port and other technicalities involving freight differential, the command was able to generate and collect the total sum of N17,065,088,490.16 in the month of January 2024 thereby surpassing the mandated 2024 monthly revenue target of N15,361,810,843.47 with a surplus of N1.713,277,636.7.

ALSO READ:  IGR: NCS generates N9.7 bn in February in Kano

In his reaction, the Zonal Commander of the EFCC, ACE 1 Ahmed Ghali maintained that “the act establishing the EFCC also empowered the agency to beam its searchlights on smuggling activities in the Country, with special attention on money laundering.”

He insisted that it was imperative for both agencies to work together to protect the Nation from unwholesome activities of Economic saboteurs even as he went further to congratulate the Customs Controller on his revenue drive and achievements made, assuring him of his agency’s support and collaboration in any area of need.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Labour Union Backs Tinubu’s Economic Reforms

Published

on

By Abubakar Yunusa

The Association of Labour Veteran and Trade Union Assembly has voiced its support for President Bola Tinubu’s economic reforms, claiming that food prices have significantly decreased across the country.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the union’s interim president, Comrade Isa Tijjani, acknowledged the initial economic hardship faced by Nigerians at the beginning of Tinubu’s administration but insisted that government efforts had led to tangible improvements.

“At the start of this administration, the cost of food soared, and the nation was filled with cries of hunger and complaints. People were urged to be patient as the government worked towards solutions,” Tijjani said.

“Now, the President and his aides have worked tirelessly, and prices have come down drastically. However, I have yet to hear words of appreciation for their efforts. Recognising their achievements will encourage them to do even more for the nation.”

Tijjani, a former national vice-president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, urged Nigerians to differentiate between constructive criticism and unwarranted opposition.

He emphasised that engaging with the government in a respectful and solution-oriented manner would yield better results than resorting to hostility.

“The President of this country today is Alhaji Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Advising him in a humble and respectful manner will be more productive than adopting a confrontational stance. Constructive engagement achieves more than threats and name-calling,” he added.

Tijjani also condemned the recent act of violence in Edo State, describing it as a cowardly attempt to incite division and instability in Nigeria.

He welcomed the swift response of both the President and the Governor of Edo State in addressing the situation and called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

ALSO READ:  FG, States, LGs Shared ₦1.7trn In January – FAAC

The labour leader further urged union members to participate in the upcoming General Executive Council meeting, where the union’s position on national issues will be formalised and disseminated at all levels of governance, from the state to the local and ward levels.

The Tinubu administration has faced criticism over the country’s economic challenges, including inflation and currency depreciation. However, government officials have maintained that their policies will yield long-term benefits for Nigeria’s economy.

Continue Reading

Business

Sterling Bank Stops Transfer Fees On Online Transactions

Published

on

Sterling Bank has announced the removal of transfer fees on all local online transactions.

The move was confirmed by the bank on Tuesday in a press release.

The development makes it the first major Nigerian bank to eliminate the contentious charges for digital banking.

The statement noted that the bank reaffirmed its commitment to customer-centric banking, declaring that the zero-transfer-fee policy is real and effective immediately.

The initiative is expected to bring significant relief to individuals and small business owners who conduct frequent transactions.

The bank’s Growth Executive in charge of Consumer and Business Banking, Obinna Ukachukwu, described the decision as a values-driven approach aimed at ensuring fair and inclusive banking.

“We believe access to your own money shouldn’t come with a penalty.

“This is more than a financial decision—it’s about redefining banking to put customers first,” he stated.

Under the new policy, Sterling customers will not be charged for local transfers conducted via the bank’s mobile app.

Ukachukwu emphasised that the bank’s decision is about more than just competitive strategy.

He said, “We’re not yet the biggest bank in Nigeria, but we’ve been the boldest.

Sterling fearlessly believes in the future of Nigeria, and this is us backing Nigerians with more than words.

ALSO READ:  Trump Is Struggling To Stay Calm On Russia, One Morning Call At A Time
Continue Reading

Business

CBN Debunks Introducing N5,000, N10,000 Banknotes

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria dismissed a report claiming it had introduced N5,000 and N10,000 banknotes to facilitate cash transactions as false.

In a statement posted on its official X handle on Wednesday, the apex bank described the report as fake and urged Nigerians to disregard it.

“The content is not from the Central Bank of Nigeria. Kindly note that the official website of the CBN is cbn.gov.ng,” the statement read.

A statement from the CBN’s communications department further clarified, “The only official sources for releasing statements to the media are our website or statements from our department. There is also no Deputy Governor by such name. We are investigating the source of this fake content.”

The report quoted one Deputy CBN Governor, Ibrahim Tahir Jr., the move is aimed at reducing cash-handling costs and providing Nigerians with more efficient means of conducting large transactions.

“The introduction of these new high-value denominations aligns with global best practices and will enhance economic activities while reducing the stress associated with carrying large amounts of cash,” the Governor stated. The CBN said there is no such name in its leadership.

“The new N5,000 note will feature the portrait of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, while the N10,000 note will showcase Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, both in recognition of their contributions to Nigeria’s development.

“Additionally, the new notes will incorporate enhanced security features, including color-changing ink, holograms, and anti-counterfeiting technology, making them impossible to replicate,” the fake report stated.

The fake report also said the nationwide rollout would begin on May 1, 2025, with commercial banks instructed to start issuing the new notes via ATMs and over-the-counter transactions.

ALSO READ:  Senators Block Ex-Finance Minister From Investigation
Continue Reading