• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Women Bearing Brunt of Sudan’s Acute Hunger Crisis, UN Says

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 10, 2026
in News
0
Women Bearing Brunt of Sudan’s Acute Hunger Crisis, UN Says
0
SHARES
10
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Women are bearing the brunt of the humanitarian crisis in Sudan, with the majority of female-headed households not having enough food to eat, the U.N. said on Friday.

“Female-headed households are now three times more likely to be food insecure. Three-quarters of these households report not having enough to eat,” Jens Laerke, spokesperson for the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), told reporters in Geneva.

RelatedPosts

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

“Hunger is becoming increasingly gendered,” he added, pointing to pre-existing gender inequalities in the country being exacerbated by the ongoing conflict, which entered its 1,000th day on Friday.

UN Women has previously warned that women face the risk of sexual violence while searching for food.

UN agencies called for immediate international action to provide aid to the Darfur city of al-Fashir, taken by the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in late October, as well as to Kadugli, another besieged city in Sudan’s south. Both cities are facing famine.

More than 100,000 are estimated to have fled al-Fashir since the RSF took control there following an 18-month siege.

OCHA said it is looking to make Sudan the first country to sign an agreement with the United States to receive part of the $2 billion in assistance it pledged at the end of December.

More than 21 million people are currently estimated to be acutely food insecure across the country.

ALSO READ:  Group seeks Sowore’s prosecution over leaked DSS court footage

Some 34 million people require humanitarian support, half of whom are children, according to the UN.

OCHA said it did not yet have an update on further plans to visit al-Fashir after international aid staff accessed the city for the first time in December since its takeover by the RSF.

(Reuters/NAN)

Tags: Hunger CrisisWomen
Previous Post

2027: Governor Mbah Vows to Serve Enugu With Integrity

Next Post

Tinubu Committed to Military Firepower Upgrade, Shettima Declares

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

by Nathaniel Irobi
August 17, 2026
0

Nigeria’s headline inflation rate fell to 15.43 per cent in July 2026, down from 15.91 per cent recorded in June,...

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

by Ojimaojo Abubakar
August 17, 2026
0

The Founder of The New Seraph Evangelical Ministries Worldwide and Iya Aladura General, Dr Oluwaseye Yomi-Sholoye, has called on eligible...

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

by Nathaniel Irobi
August 17, 2026
0

Blessing Agbebaku resigns from office amid reported plot by lawmakers to remove him, plunging the Assembly into fresh leadership crisis....

Next Post
Tinubu Committed to Military Firepower Upgrade, Shettima Declares

Tinubu Committed to Military Firepower Upgrade, Shettima Declares

INEC Promises Credible Osun, FCT Polls

INEC Promises Credible Osun, FCT Polls

Recommended

Adeleke Triumphs: INEC Confirms Osun Governor’s Re-Election

Adeleke Triumphs: INEC Confirms Osun Governor’s Re-Election

1 day ago
Peter Obi Denies Telling Soldiers to Reject Tinubu’s Pay Rise

Peter Obi Denies Telling Soldiers to Reject Tinubu’s Pay Rise

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Arewa Youths Urge Wike To Restore DRTS Officers On Abuja Roads

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Group Faults Kwara CP, Demands Rescue Of 176 Abductees

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Drama In FCT Polls As APC, PDP Candidates Step Down For Each Other

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Boost Military Morale Through Positive Coverage, Media Told

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (849)
  • Education (283)
  • Entertainment (469)
  • Health (261)
  • National (3,412)
  • News (11,032)
  • Opinion (481)
  • Politics (2,302)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (782)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform