Connect with us

News

Strike not imminent – ASUU

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has said that strike is not imminent, if the Federal Government implements the agreements reached, in the next two weeks.

Prof Emmanuel Osodeke, President of ASUU said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday (NAN).

It would be recalled that ASUU had threatened to embark on strike over the non-implementation of agreements reached with the federal government.

The Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman had on June 26, invited the union for a meeting to deliberate on the lingering issues affecting universities and to avert the planned strike.

Osodeke said none of the agreements reached with the Federal Government had been implemented.

“At the meeting called by the Minister of Education, we agreed that after two weeks, we will meet to see the progress the government has made.

“We will also see what we will do next, if government fail to implement the agreements reached.

“The meeting in the next two weeks is to see what they have done which will inform our decision,” he said.

The ASUU president said some of the demands included, the non implementation of the 2009 re-negotiated agreements.

He said the agreements had lingered for over six years and government was yet to implement them.

Osodeke said the academic allowances due to their members had also accumulated for over six years and nothing had been done about it

On the issue of revitalisation fund, he said they agreed on the NEEDs Assessment Report to raise N200 billion yearly, for five years.

ALSO READ:  Ministerial List: Kailani Urges Tinubu to Consider APC Support Group Members

“Since 2013, only one has been paid. We need revitalisation fund to upgrade our universities to standard, so that we can be having students and lecturers from outside the country,” he said.

Oshodeke added that the government was yet to stop the proliferation of universities adding that many new universities were being approved without fund to run them.

He said the government was also yet to exit the university salary payment from Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System!(IPPIS) as approved by the Federal Executive Council in January

He said their members were still being paid by IPPIS against the directive by the FEC. (NAN)

News

MSMEs backbone of the Nigerian economy – Minister

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Jumoke Oduwole, has described Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as the backbone of the Nigerian economy.

Oduwole stated this on Wednesday in Makurdi at the opening of a 2-day Benue Inventors and Entrepreneurs Exhibition 2025.

The minister stated that MSMEs contribute more than 48 per cent to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and also account for 96 per cent of businesses and 84 per cent of employment.

She said that entrepreneurship was a key driver of any thriving economy and urged the Nigerians to continue to strive in the sector.

Oduwole said the Federal Government was committed to implementing policies and initiatives that would strengthen the MSMEs.

The minister promised that the government would continue to work on ease of doing business.

“This is just a call to action to continue to support your ingenuity, and we commend your resilience and your determination to build businesses that not only meet your needs in this community but also contribute to the broader economic landscape.

“So the products on display today are a testament to your hard work and creative vision, and I have no doubt that these products are poised to compete both locally and on the global stage.

“To the esteemed consumers and visitors here today, this exhibition offers you an opportunity to experience firsthand the quality and innovation of locally made products.

“By supporting these businesses, you’re contributing to the growth of our national economy, creating jobs and promoting sustainable development.

“Let us make a conscious effort to prioritise made-in-Nigeria products,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Ministerial List: Kailani Urges Tinubu to Consider APC Support Group Members

Oduwole commended Gov. Hyacinth Alia for his vision and commitment to fostering an environment that empowers entrepreneurs, promotes local production and drives the growth of the local economy.

The minister stated that Benue, known as the Food Basket of the Nation, has vast agricultural resources that contributed significantly to Nigeria’s food security.

She said the state has embraced the entrepreneurial spirit by creating policies and directly supporting the facilitation of industrial growth and support for innovative-driven businesses.

“This exhibition is a testament to the creativity, talent and ingenuity that defines the good people of Benue.

“It reflects the spirit of resilience and innovation that defines the individual entrepreneurial energy of this great state,” she said.

Commissioner for Science, Technology, and Innovation, Mr Nick Eworo, said in his welcome address that the state was well positioned to become the hub of innovation and technological advancements in North Central Nigeria.

Eworo said the theme of the exhibition, “Innovating for a Sustainable Future”, reflects the state’s commitment to leveraging science, technology, and entrepreneurship to drive lasting change.

“Benue is brimming with untapped talent, and what you see today is just a glimpse of the vast potential that exists across our state,” he said (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Barau condoles with victims of Edo attack, donates N16m

Published

on

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday sympathised with the families of 16 travellers killed in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Barau met with the families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in Bunkure town, headquarters of Bunkure Local Government Area.

Barau promised to sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

He also announced a donation of N1 million to each family, totalling N16 million.

He said, “I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday.

“May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened and immediately contacted the state governor, security agencies, and stakeholders. They acted swiftly, and so far, 16 suspects have been arrested.”

The state governor, who visited Barau’s house in Abuja, assured him that the state government would support the families.

“We will not take this incident lightly and will ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law,” Barau added.

The Chief Imam of Bunkure, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked the senator for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as a leader needed for national development. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Former DG NBC, Professor Armstrong Launches Six Books To Promote Journalism At 60
Continue Reading

News

FG re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.

The government had announced closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.

It was to remain closed until May.

However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out later.

He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.

He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Former DG NBC, Professor Armstrong Launches Six Books To Promote Journalism At 60
Continue Reading