• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Messi Should Have Own Ballon d’Or Category, Says Guardiola

Ojimaojo Abubakar by Ojimaojo Abubakar
October 20, 2023
in News
0
Messi Should Have Own Ballon d’Or Category, Says Guardiola
0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Pep Guardiola says Lionel Messi should have his own category at the Ballon d’Or but admitted the World Cup winner and Manchester City hotshot Erling Haaland would both be deserving winners of the prize.

RelatedPosts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Messi, who recently left Paris Saint-Germain for Inter Miami, is favourite to win the Ballon d’Or for a record-extending eighth time later this month after leading Argentina to World Cup glory last year.

Haaland could be his main rival after scoring 52 goals in 53 games to help City win the Champions League, Premier League, and FA Cup last season.

Guardiola knows the qualities of both players better than most, previously coaching Messi at Barcelona and currently managing Haaland with City.

“Always I said that the Ballon d’Or should be in two sections, one for Messi, and after look for the other one, so Haaland should win, yes,” Guardiola said on Friday.

“We won the treble because he scored 50 million goals but of course Messi, if you tell me the worst season for Messi is the best for the rest of the players.

“Both deserve it, so what can I say?”

READ ALSO: Napoli Deny Frosty Relationship With Osimhen, To Discuss Future With Striker

Guardiola added: “Egotistically, I would say I want Erling because he helped us to achieve what we achieved, I would love it, but I won’t tell you it’s unfair if Leo wins.

ALSO READ:  Diesel-laden Tanker Catches Fire On Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

“It’s nice that many players for Man City will be there for the first time in many years and challenging for these trophies. That makes us so proud of our organisation.”

The Ballon d’Or awards ceremony takes place in Paris on October 30.

City are hoping to get back to winning ways against Brighton on Saturday after losing their previous two league matches against Wolves and Arsenal.

City midfielder Kalvin Phillips, who has struggled for game time under Guardiola, this week admitted he needs to play more at the club level as he seeks to retain his place in the England squad ahead of Euro 2024.

That has increased speculation he could leave in January and Guardiola did not rule out the possibility.

“The transfer window is over, now we are here together. When we need a game with transitions, Kalvin is perfect,” he said.

“When there is something you need to do, there are still one or two players who can do it better. That’s the simple reason.

“He will be here until winter. After, I don’t know what will happen because nobody knows once the window is open.”

Guardiola admitted it was “so important” that Rodri can return this weekend after the influential Spain midfielder was badly missed during his three-match suspension following last month’s sending-off against Nottingham Forest.

AFP

Tags: Messi
Previous Post

ASUU Strike: Tinubu Grants Waiver, Orders Partial Release Of Withheld Salary

Next Post

Appointments: Clearly, Tinubu Is Not In Charge—Former Lawmaker

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Abubakar Ojimaojo is a graduate of Mass Communication, political and football analyst currently work at elanzanews.ng as Editor. He pride himself as skilled wordsmith with a passion for delving into contemporary political issues on both national and international scale.

Related Posts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the full scope development of 8.6-kilometre highway 105,...

Next Post
Appointments: Clearly, Tinubu Is Not In Charge—Former Lawmaker

Appointments: Clearly, Tinubu Is Not In Charge—Former Lawmaker

Italy Prime Minister Meloni Separates

Italy Prime Minister Meloni Separates

Recommended

A Step In The Right Direction’: Bulus Maiyaki Hails Benjamin Kefas As New FUW VC

A Step In The Right Direction’: Bulus Maiyaki Hails Benjamin Kefas As New FUW VC

6 days ago
Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (255)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (237)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,642)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform