Connect with us

News

I Was Not Involved in the Burning of the Rivers Assembly Complex — Ehie

Published

on

Rt. Hon. Edison Ehie, Chief of Staff to the suspended Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, has categorically denied accusations of his involvement in the fire that engulfed the Rivers State House of Assembly complex on October 29, 2023.

Ehie announced that he has directed his legal team to pursue a criminal libel lawsuit against the former Head of Service, Dr. George Nwaeke, who alleged that both he and Fubara were complicit in the incident.

During a live television segment broadcasted in Port Harcourt on Sunday evening, Ehie, who previously served as Speaker of a faction of the State House of Assembly aligned with the suspended governor, stated, “It is crucial to clarify that I had no role in the destruction of the Rivers State House of Assembly. Like many others, I woke up on October 30, 2023, to the shocking news of the Assembly’s burning.”

He refrained from directly engaging with Nwaeke, emphasizing that he has already instructed his lawyers to take legal action against him for his allegations. “I expect him to be ready to provide evidence to support his claims,” Ehie remarked.

Ehie suggested that the Assembly’s Speaker, Rt. Hon. Martins Amaewhule, should be the focus of inquiries regarding the fire, asserting that the blaze erupted shortly after security personnel permitted the Speaker’s convoy entry into the complex.

The Chief of Staff accused Nwaeke of succumbing to political adversaries in pursuit of quick wealth. He referenced the distress expressed by Nwaeke’s wife over his sudden disappearance, portraying it as indicative of a man who has “betrayed his conscience” and his family for personal gain.

ALSO READ:  Nigeria Rejects Proposal To Restructure AU Peace, Security Unit

Ehie shared WhatsApp messages in which Nwaeke requested financial support shortly following his resignation as Head of Service the previous week. He characterized Nwaeke as “a discontented man” whose remarks do not reflect sound judgment.

Moreover, Ehie dismissed claims regarding Nwaeke’s close ties with Governor Fubara, asserting that the former Head of Service had not conducted any private meetings with the suspended governor. He challenged Nwaeke to specify a date and time of any visit to Fubara without the necessary security clearance.

“George Nwaeke has never been listed among those granted unrestricted access to the governor,” Ehie stated. “The records are maintained at the Government House, and the security clearance, which I supervise, is managed by the DSS. I challenge Nwaeke to provide evidence of any visit to the Government House since October 29, 2023, without prior clearance. There is no record to support his claims.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

MSMEs backbone of the Nigerian economy – Minister

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Jumoke Oduwole, has described Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as the backbone of the Nigerian economy.

Oduwole stated this on Wednesday in Makurdi at the opening of a 2-day Benue Inventors and Entrepreneurs Exhibition 2025.

The minister stated that MSMEs contribute more than 48 per cent to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and also account for 96 per cent of businesses and 84 per cent of employment.

She said that entrepreneurship was a key driver of any thriving economy and urged the Nigerians to continue to strive in the sector.

Oduwole said the Federal Government was committed to implementing policies and initiatives that would strengthen the MSMEs.

The minister promised that the government would continue to work on ease of doing business.

“This is just a call to action to continue to support your ingenuity, and we commend your resilience and your determination to build businesses that not only meet your needs in this community but also contribute to the broader economic landscape.

“So the products on display today are a testament to your hard work and creative vision, and I have no doubt that these products are poised to compete both locally and on the global stage.

“To the esteemed consumers and visitors here today, this exhibition offers you an opportunity to experience firsthand the quality and innovation of locally made products.

“By supporting these businesses, you’re contributing to the growth of our national economy, creating jobs and promoting sustainable development.

“Let us make a conscious effort to prioritise made-in-Nigeria products,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu’s govt hasn’t found formula to rescue economy – Obasanjo

Oduwole commended Gov. Hyacinth Alia for his vision and commitment to fostering an environment that empowers entrepreneurs, promotes local production and drives the growth of the local economy.

The minister stated that Benue, known as the Food Basket of the Nation, has vast agricultural resources that contributed significantly to Nigeria’s food security.

She said the state has embraced the entrepreneurial spirit by creating policies and directly supporting the facilitation of industrial growth and support for innovative-driven businesses.

“This exhibition is a testament to the creativity, talent and ingenuity that defines the good people of Benue.

“It reflects the spirit of resilience and innovation that defines the individual entrepreneurial energy of this great state,” she said.

Commissioner for Science, Technology, and Innovation, Mr Nick Eworo, said in his welcome address that the state was well positioned to become the hub of innovation and technological advancements in North Central Nigeria.

Eworo said the theme of the exhibition, “Innovating for a Sustainable Future”, reflects the state’s commitment to leveraging science, technology, and entrepreneurship to drive lasting change.

“Benue is brimming with untapped talent, and what you see today is just a glimpse of the vast potential that exists across our state,” he said (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Barau condoles with victims of Edo attack, donates N16m

Published

on

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday sympathised with the families of 16 travellers killed in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Barau met with the families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in Bunkure town, headquarters of Bunkure Local Government Area.

Barau promised to sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

He also announced a donation of N1 million to each family, totalling N16 million.

He said, “I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday.

“May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened and immediately contacted the state governor, security agencies, and stakeholders. They acted swiftly, and so far, 16 suspects have been arrested.”

The state governor, who visited Barau’s house in Abuja, assured him that the state government would support the families.

“We will not take this incident lightly and will ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law,” Barau added.

The Chief Imam of Bunkure, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked the senator for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as a leader needed for national development. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Fish Out Killers Of Travellers In Edo, Tinubu Orders Security Agencies
Continue Reading

News

FG re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.

The government had announced closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.

It was to remain closed until May.

However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out later.

He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.

He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Senate Urges Executive Action On South East Roads
Continue Reading