Connect with us

News

Governor Yusuf approves payment of N5bn backlogs of gratuity to 2,000 retirees

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, has approved the payment of the third phase of N5 billion to clear the backlog of gratuities owed 2,000 retirees in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the governor announced this during the commencement of payment to categories of retirees at the Government House, Kano, on Thursday.

Yusuf said that the initiative was aimed toward addressing long-standing backlogs.

He added that the gesture was expected to provide relief to retirees who had faced delayed payments.

The governor emphasised the importance of fulfilling the state’s obligations to pensioners and ensuring their welfare.

Yusuf also assured that the state government would continue to prioritise the timely payment of pensions to all eligible retirees.

According to him, this will be the third phase of the exercise, following the N11 billion payment made last year.

He said the government has reviewed the pension upward from N5,000 to N20,000.

In a separate remarks, the Chairman of the Pension Fund Trustees, Alhaji Habu Fagge, and the Head of Service, Alhaji Abdullahi Musa, described the event as a “significant moment” in the Abba Yusuf administration,

They highlighted the fulfillments of the promises made to pensioners in the state.

The National President of the Union of Pensioners (NUP), Mr. Godwin Abumisi, commended the governor for his efforts at improving the welfare of pensioners.

He noted that the review of pension benefits was a clear reflection of appreciation for the services rendered by retirees.

Represented by Assan Sambe, Abumisi also praised the governor for settling the backlog of pensioners.

ALSO READ:  I didn’t walk out on journalists—Umahi

Garba Dakata who spoke on behalf of the Pensioners expressed gratitude to the governor for addressing their long-outstanding benefits and alleviating the plight of pensioners.(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  Stay Of Our Lands- Biafra Liberation Army Warns Bandits, Terrorists

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar earthquake: Rescue efforts ongoing amidst increasing fatalities

Published

on

The death toll from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,085, with 4,715 people injured and 341 reported missing.

This is according to the Information Team of the State Administration Council on Thursday.

Chinese rescuers are continuing search and rescue operations in hard-hit Mandalay, central Myanmar, following the deadly earthquake last week, and have so far rescued nine survivors from the rubble.

On Thursday afternoon, the second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived in Myanmar.

The second batch of aid supplies include 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies.

The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31. (Xinhua/NAN)

ALSO READ:  MNJTF troops intercept terrorists’ courier, foil IED attack
Continue Reading

News

China threatens retaliation in response to new US tariffs

Published

on

Beijing on Thursday threatened countermeasures after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods, further escalating trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

The U.S. has already imposed 20 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports, prompting retaliation from Beijing.

The latest round, which Trump had announced on Wednesday, adds a 34 per cent tariff hike, raising total duties on many Chinese products to over 50 per cent.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said that the tariffs violated international trade rules and were based on subjective and unilateral assessments by the U.S., calling them a typical act of bullying.

The ministry urged Washington to remove the measures and resolve disputes through dialogue, or it would take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests.

Trump on Wednesday announced new blanket tariffs of 10 per cent on most U.S. imports, with higher penalties based on trade deficits. (dpa/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 2,517 personnel, 83 patrol vehicles in FCT
Continue Reading