Connect with us

News

Fubara pays ₦85,000 minimum wage to workers in Rivers

Published

on

Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara has said his administration has begun payment of ₦85,000 minimum wage for state workers, despite attempts by those he described as “enemies of the state” to deprive his administration of funds.

Speaking during the launch of the 2025 Armed Forces Remembrance Emblem Appeal Fund at the Government House in Port Harcourt on Thursday, Governor Fubara said his administration’s ability to implement the new wage policy has brought relief to civil servants in the state.

He said the greatest achievement in governance is the ability to put smiles on people’s faces by improving their welfare, noting that workers who previously earned between ₦70,000 and ₦80,000 now receive between ₦120,000 and ₦140,000 under the new wage structure.

Fubara reaffirmed his commitment to governing the state with the guidance of God, stating that “only God gives power.”

He also commended security agencies for their cooperation despite external pressures and urged them to maintain peace by continuing to act rightly.

In support of the Nigerian Legion, Governor Fubara announced a ₦40 million donation, doubling the previous year’s contribution of ₦20 million.

He expressed a personal connection to the event, revealing that as the son of a military officer, he understands the sacrifices made by fallen heroes and their families.

He said the state may never fully compensate for these losses but will continue to cushion their impact on the families of fallen heroes.

He, however, expressed concern over remarks made by the acting chairman of the Nigerian Legion in the state, about the lack of opportunity to access the 50 employment slots for children of fallen soldiers promised by the governor last year.

ALSO READ:  AGF lacks power to prosecute offences under Electoral Act – Court

The governor clarified that employment in the civil service had been temporarily suspended due to the state’s focus on hiring professionals such as teachers and doctors.

He revealed that over 2,000 doctors have already been employed and plans are underway to finalize the recruitment of 1,000 teachers for primary and secondary education.

On scholarships, the governor stated that the government is sponsoring students in professional fields, including 150 indigenes at PAMO University of Medical Sciences and and an unspecified number at Wigwe University.

He encouraged patience among legionnaires, assuring them that the state would soon begin processing applications for scholarships

Before delivering his address, Governor Fubara called for a minute’s silence to honour the late Chief of Army Staff, Taoreed Lagbaja, and the former chairman of the Nigerian Legion in Rivers State, Charles Hart.

Channels

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

MSMEs backbone of the Nigerian economy – Minister

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Jumoke Oduwole, has described Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as the backbone of the Nigerian economy.

Oduwole stated this on Wednesday in Makurdi at the opening of a 2-day Benue Inventors and Entrepreneurs Exhibition 2025.

The minister stated that MSMEs contribute more than 48 per cent to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and also account for 96 per cent of businesses and 84 per cent of employment.

She said that entrepreneurship was a key driver of any thriving economy and urged the Nigerians to continue to strive in the sector.

Oduwole said the Federal Government was committed to implementing policies and initiatives that would strengthen the MSMEs.

The minister promised that the government would continue to work on ease of doing business.

“This is just a call to action to continue to support your ingenuity, and we commend your resilience and your determination to build businesses that not only meet your needs in this community but also contribute to the broader economic landscape.

“So the products on display today are a testament to your hard work and creative vision, and I have no doubt that these products are poised to compete both locally and on the global stage.

“To the esteemed consumers and visitors here today, this exhibition offers you an opportunity to experience firsthand the quality and innovation of locally made products.

“By supporting these businesses, you’re contributing to the growth of our national economy, creating jobs and promoting sustainable development.

“Let us make a conscious effort to prioritise made-in-Nigeria products,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Indefinite strike: JUAC shuts  FCTA Secretariat

Oduwole commended Gov. Hyacinth Alia for his vision and commitment to fostering an environment that empowers entrepreneurs, promotes local production and drives the growth of the local economy.

The minister stated that Benue, known as the Food Basket of the Nation, has vast agricultural resources that contributed significantly to Nigeria’s food security.

She said the state has embraced the entrepreneurial spirit by creating policies and directly supporting the facilitation of industrial growth and support for innovative-driven businesses.

“This exhibition is a testament to the creativity, talent and ingenuity that defines the good people of Benue.

“It reflects the spirit of resilience and innovation that defines the individual entrepreneurial energy of this great state,” she said.

Commissioner for Science, Technology, and Innovation, Mr Nick Eworo, said in his welcome address that the state was well positioned to become the hub of innovation and technological advancements in North Central Nigeria.

Eworo said the theme of the exhibition, “Innovating for a Sustainable Future”, reflects the state’s commitment to leveraging science, technology, and entrepreneurship to drive lasting change.

“Benue is brimming with untapped talent, and what you see today is just a glimpse of the vast potential that exists across our state,” he said (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Barau condoles with victims of Edo attack, donates N16m

Published

on

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday sympathised with the families of 16 travellers killed in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Barau met with the families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in Bunkure town, headquarters of Bunkure Local Government Area.

Barau promised to sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

He also announced a donation of N1 million to each family, totalling N16 million.

He said, “I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday.

“May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened and immediately contacted the state governor, security agencies, and stakeholders. They acted swiftly, and so far, 16 suspects have been arrested.”

The state governor, who visited Barau’s house in Abuja, assured him that the state government would support the families.

“We will not take this incident lightly and will ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law,” Barau added.

The Chief Imam of Bunkure, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked the senator for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as a leader needed for national development. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  China offers more loans, no talks on debt forgiveness – FG
Continue Reading

News

FG re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.

The government had announced closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.

It was to remain closed until May.

However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out later.

He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.

He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  AGF lacks power to prosecute offences under Electoral Act – Court
Continue Reading