• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Defence tells court to recuse self from Emefiele’s trial

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
February 24, 2025
in News
0
Court orders final forfeiture of $4.7m, ₦830m, properties ‘linked’ to Emefiele

Former CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele

0
SHARES
13
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A team of defence, on Monday, urged an Ikeja Special Offences Court, to recuse itself from trial of embattled former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele.

Defence Counsel, Mr Olalekan Ojo (SAN), urged Justice Rahman Oshodi, to excuse himself from the case, on allegations of bias.

RelatedPosts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Emefiele is standing trial on a 19-count charge bordering on receiving gratification and corrupt demnds

Also charged is one Henry Omoile, is facing a three-count charge bordering on unlawful acceptance of gifts by agents

The charges are proferred against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

When trial resumed on Monday, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN) appeared for the EFCC.

Mr Olalekan Ojo (SAN) appeared for the first defendant, while Mr Kazeem Gbadamosi (SAN) appeared for the second defendant.

Oyedepo, then concluded the evidence-in-chief of his seventh witness, Mr Adetola John.

In continuation of his evidence, the witness had made reference to a document which was not tendered as exhibit before the court.

He had told the court that he did not receive any complain about the 400,000 dollars he delivered, as instructed during business hours of the day.

When prosecution asked the witness to confirm a whatsapp message said to have been printed from his phone, the defence raised objection.

Ojo, argued that the document was solely meant for identification, as it was not an exhibit before the court.

ALSO READ:  NDLEA intercepts 7.5m tramadol pills, codeine bottles in Christmas consignments

Defence counsel argued that the witness could not read or “speak to” the document.

”The document is a bundle containing whatsapp messages of one Eric, said to be the personal assistant to first defendant”.

The court, however, overruled the defence, and allowed the witness to read from the document marked for identification.

The defence, expressed dissatisfaction with this court’s decision.

Consequently, at the end of the seventh witness’ evidence, the defence elected not to cross-examine him.

Defence counsel, unanimously, refused to cross examine the witness, and rather, orally applied to the court to recuse itself from the case.

They alleged that the court was biased.

In response, the prosecutor opposed the application by defence..

Oyedepo, argued that the court had on numerous times, ruled against the prosecution.

He added that if the defence was dissatisfied with the ruling of the court, they could file an appeal, adding that the defence was delaying the case.

NAN reports that the court has adjourned the until Feb. 26, for ruling.

Meanwhile, Ojo had earlier informed the court of an application seeking for leave to allow Emefiele appeal the ruling delivered on Jan. 8 challenging the jurisdiction of the court to hear his case.

The court had also adjourned until Feb. 26 for hearing of that application. (NAN)

Previous Post

NNPP suspends 4 National Assembly members over alleged anti-party activities

Next Post

IPMAN threatens to halt operations over N100bn bridging claims

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Next Post

IPMAN threatens to halt operations over N100bn bridging claims

Ondo Governor Aiyedatiwa Grants Clemency To 43 Inmates

Ondo Governor Aiyedatiwa Grants Clemency To 43 Inmates

Recommended

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

5 days ago
FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,644)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform