• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Chad capital N’djamena, calm after deadly presidential palace assault

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 10, 2025
in News
0
Chad capital N’djamena, calm after deadly presidential palace assault
0
SHARES
11
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Chad’s capital was calm early on Thursday, the morning after armed men attacked the presidential palace, sparking a battle that killed 19 people, mostly assailants, according to the government.

Beefed-up security and road blocks set up late on Wednesday had been lifted in the area around the presidential palace, where traffic was back to normal, AFP journalists saw.

RelatedPosts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Heavy gunfire erupted near the presidential complex just before 8:00 pm local time (1900 GMT) on Wednesday in the centre of N’Djamena, the capital of the military-ruled, central African country.

Government spokesman Abderaman Koulamallah said a 24-member commando unit carrying “weapons, machetes and knives” attacked the guards of the presidential palace before being swiftly stopped.

The group was dressed in civilian clothing and came from a poor neighbourhood in the south of the city, he said.

Koulamallah described them as drunken “Pieds Nickeles” — a reference to a French comic featuring hapless crooks.

He said late on Wednesday that 18 of the assailants were killed and six wounded. A presidential guard had also been killed and three others wounded.

Hours after the shooting, Koulamallah appeared in a video posted on Facebook, surrounded by soldiers and with a gun at his belt, saying: “The situation is completely under control… The destabilisation attempt was put down.”

Koulamallah, who is also the foreign minister, told AFP that Chadian President Mahamat Idriss Deby Itno was inside the presidential palace at the time of the attack but gave no more details.

ALSO READ:  Security Gains: Group Commends Matawalle as Bandit Kingpin Goes into Hiding

Opposition members have voiced doubts about the government’s account of events.

Max Kemkoye, spokesman for the Political Actors’ Consultation Group (GCAP), spoke on Thursday of an “unfortunate synopsis” and a “set up” orchestrated by those in power.

The government spokesman said he would make a statement to accredited diplomats later in the day and the prosecutor is also expected to make a statement.

AFP

Tags: presidential palace
Previous Post

Nigeria’s Aruna ousts Pitchford to progress at WTT Star Contender in Doha

Next Post

Minimum wage will be reviewed in less than 2 years – FG

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Next Post
Minimum wage will be reviewed in less than 2 years – FG

Minimum wage will be reviewed in less than 2 years – FG

Why there is delay in fuel distribution from Port-Harcourt Refinery – PETROAN

Why there is delay in fuel distribution from Port-Harcourt Refinery – PETROAN

Recommended

Sokoto Govt. Pledges To End Polio Virus Type 2 This Year

Sokoto Govt. Pledges To End Polio Virus Type 2 This Year

6 days ago
Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform