• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

BREAKING: Court Remands Ngige in Prison After Arraignment for Alleged Contract Fraud, Bail Hearing Set for Monday

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
December 12, 2025
in News
0
BREAKING: Court Remands Ngige in Prison After Arraignment for Alleged Contract Fraud, Bail Hearing Set for Monday
0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

 

A former Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, was on Friday arraigned before an Abuja High Court sitting in Gwarinpa by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged N2.2bn contract fraud.

RelatedPosts

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

Justice Maryam Hassan ordered that the former minister be remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the hearing of his bail application, fixed for Monday, December 14.

Ngige pleaded not guilty to eight counts bordering on abuse of office and acceptance of gifts from contractors of the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund while he served as its supervising minister between September 2015 and May 2023.

After the plea, EFCC counsel, Sylvanus Tahir (SAN), applied for a trial date and asked the court to remand the defendant.

He said, “In view of the not guilty plea entered by the defendant, we humbly apply for the trial date. We further pray my Lord that the accused person be remanded at the Kuje prison pending the commencement of the full trial.”

The defence lead counsel, Patrick Ikwueto (SAN), however, opposed the EFCC’s submission and urged the court to grant his client bail on health grounds, noting that the former minister had been in EFCC custody for three days prior to the arraignment.

He said, “The defendant has taken his plea, and your lordship is now in full control of this trial. As I mentioned earlier, the defendant has been in the custody of the EFCC for the past three days, during which the charge was served on him. We can see the charge was filed yesterday and assigned to this Court.

ALSO READ:  PHOTOS: Tinubu meets with members of PDP G5 in Aso Rock

“The issue of whether he will be granted bail or not is a right in our Constitution. The defendant is not an unknown person in this country. I don’t think there is anybody in this country who will say they don’t know the defendant. Even from the charge, it was stated that he was a minister of this country.

“I urge your Lordship to grant the defendant bail, and we are ready to grant any requirement your Lordship will put to grant him bail. Even this morning, he mentioned how he needs to go to the hospital. The prosecution is asking for his remand, knowing fully well they don’t have the facility to cater to his health issues at Kuje.”

He argued that the allegations were not comparable to terrorism or treason charges that would justify denying bail.

“It’s not like he ate the ministry’s money or that of NSTIF. The trial will start, and we will see how those contracts were awarded. It’s not a terrorism charge or treason offence,” Ikwueto stated.

He also challenged the EFCC’s application, saying the defence was not given time to respond.

“We were not allowed time to file our own counter-affidavit. If the prosecution will give us time, we will.”

The prosecution, however, countered him, noting that the defendant’s alleged offence was not trivial and should not be downplayed by the defence.

“The offences with which the defendant was charged are by no means minute; they are rather enormous crimes that if found guilty, he will spend nothing less than five years in prison because of the attempt to trivialise the crime and bamboozle the Court,” the prosecution said.

ALSO READ:  El-Rufai and the Irony of Political Hostility

He told the court that Ngige failed to return his international passport after he was permitted to travel for medical treatment in October.

The court adjourned the matter to December 14 and ordered Ngige’s remand in Kuje.

Tags: Contract fraudNgige
Previous Post

Defence Minister’s Condolence Visit to Family of Late Brig. Gen. B. M. Uba Draws Praise

Next Post

Dangote Refinery Cuts Fuel Price, Now Selling at ₦699 per Litre

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

Nigeria’s Inflation Eases to 15.43% Amid Soaring Food Prices

by Nathaniel Irobi
August 17, 2026
0

Nigeria’s headline inflation rate fell to 15.43 per cent in July 2026, down from 15.91 per cent recorded in June,...

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

by Ojimaojo Abubakar
August 17, 2026
0

The Founder of The New Seraph Evangelical Ministries Worldwide and Iya Aladura General, Dr Oluwaseye Yomi-Sholoye, has called on eligible...

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

Edo Speaker Quits as Impeachment Looms

by Nathaniel Irobi
August 17, 2026
0

Blessing Agbebaku resigns from office amid reported plot by lawmakers to remove him, plunging the Assembly into fresh leadership crisis....

Next Post
Dangote Refinery Cuts Fuel Price, Now Selling at ₦699 per Litre

Dangote Refinery Cuts Fuel Price, Now Selling at ₦699 per Litre

My Wedding Asake Will Perform Says Wizkid

My Wedding Asake Will Perform Says Wizkid

Recommended

FG Empowers 1,127 Plateau Youths with Agricultural, Auto Skills

FG Empowers 1,127 Plateau Youths with Agricultural, Auto Skills

5 days ago
First 100 days: How Adamu is reshaping tax collection in Nasarawa

First 100 days: How Adamu is reshaping tax collection in Nasarawa

2 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Arewa Youths Urge Wike To Restore DRTS Officers On Abuja Roads

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Group Faults Kwara CP, Demands Rescue Of 176 Abductees

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Drama In FCT Polls As APC, PDP Candidates Step Down For Each Other

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Boost Military Morale Through Positive Coverage, Media Told

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (849)
  • Education (283)
  • Entertainment (469)
  • Health (261)
  • National (3,412)
  • News (11,032)
  • Opinion (481)
  • Politics (2,302)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (782)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform