• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

AGF seeks to take over trial of MTN Nigeria CEO, others

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
July 8, 2024
in News
0
AGF seeks to take over trial of MTN Nigeria CEO, others

Mr Lateef Fagbemi

0
SHARES
7
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Mr Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, on Monday sought to take over the trial of Karl Toriola, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD/CEO) of MTN Nigeria Communications Ltd; and others.

Counsel to the AGF, Mrs Aderonke Imana, told Justice Inyang Ekwo of a Federal High Court in Abuja, upon resumed hearing in the matter.

RelatedPosts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Imana informed the court that the prosecuting agency, the Nigerian Copyright Commission (NCC), and the police had been notified through a letter to furnish the AGF’s office with a report.

“The matter is slated for plea.

“However, I have the instruction of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation to take over this matter this morning pursuant to the powers of the AGF under Section 174 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended),” she said.

The lawyer then sought an adjournment for her office to do a review of the case file and Justice Ekwo fixed Oct. 10 for the defendants to take their plea.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the matter was, on June 27, stalled due to the absence of the judge.

Although the matter was fixed for arraignment of Toriola and others, the case could not go on and was subsequently fixed for Sept. 26 for the defendants to take their plea.

However, the matter was brought forward for the defendants to take their plea.

ALSO READ:  Fire Destroys Over 100 Thatched Houses in Monguno IDP Camp

Other defendants in the charge are MTN Nigeria Communications Ltd; MTN Senior Executive Officer, Nkeakam Abhulimen; Fun Mobile Ltd, a telecommunications service provider; and Yahaya Maibe, its CEO as 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th defendants respectively.

Toriola is named as 2nd defendant in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/111/2024.

The NCC had, on May 14, accused Toriola of evading service of court documents in the alleged copyright infringement charge.

NAN reports that on June 22, a musician, Maleke Moye, who is the nominal.complainant in the suit, had raised alarm over alleged plan by the AGF to take over the ongoing trial of the telecommunications company and its CEO.

The musician said that the minister’s directive for the prosecuting agency, NCC, to hands off the trial and forward the case file to his (AGF) office portends impending dangerous precedence.

In the three count-count charge dated March 19 and filed March 20 by Emeka Ogbonna on NCC’s behalf, the prosecution alleged that the defendants, between 2010 and 2017, “offered for sale, sold and traded for business, infringed musical works of Maleke Moye, an artiste, without his consent and authorisation.”

The commission alleged that the defendants used Maleke’s musical works and sound recordings with subsisting copyright, known as “caller ring back tunes” without the authorisation of the artiste.

The musical works and sound recordings of the musician allegedly infringed upon include “911, Minimini-Wana Wana, Stop Racism, Ewole, 911 instrumental, Radio, Low Waist, and No Bother.”

The defendants were also alleged to have illegally distributed the musical works to their subscribers, without authorisation, thereby infringing on the rights of the artiste.

ALSO READ:  I Was Underrated During My Time At Chelsea - Mikel

In the third count, the defendants were alleged of having in their possession, the musical works and sound recordings of the artiste, other than for their personal or domestic use.

The copyright commission said the alleged offence is punishable under Section 20 (2) (a) (b) and (c) of the Copyright Act, Cap. C28, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004..(NAN)

Tags: Mr Lateef FagbemiTrial
Previous Post

Logistics challenges, flooding cause of fuel queues – NNPC Ltd.

Next Post

The real cost of a Dior handbag, investigation reveals

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Next Post
The real cost of a Dior handbag, investigation reveals

The real cost of a Dior handbag, investigation reveals

Insecurity: Arewa group advocates safe enclaves for cattle rearing

Insecurity: Arewa group advocates safe enclaves for cattle rearing

Recommended

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

Kaduna SUBEB Flags Off Distribution of Instructional Materials to Schools

8 hours ago
Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

8 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform