Connect with us

Politics

Motion to name INEC headquarters after Humphrey Nwosu suffers setback in Senate

Published

on

A motion to name the headquarters of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) after the late former Chairman of National Electoral Commission, Prof. Humphrey Nwosu, on Thursday, suffered set back in the Senate.

This followed the senate’s consideration of the motion titled, “Motion to Immortalise Prof. Humphrey Nwosu”, sponsored by Sen. Eyinnaya Abaribe (APGA-Abia) during plenary.

Abaribe said that the motion was supported by all the senators from South-East as well as the Senate Minority Leader, Sen. Abba Moro, Sen. Ned Nwoko (APC-Delta ) and Sen. Adamu Aliero (PDP-Kebbi), among others.

He had urged the senate to immortalise the late Nwosu by naming the INEC headquarters after him and to posthumously honour him with a national award.

The senator also said that official condolences should be extended to Nwosu’s family in recognition of their sacrifice in supporting his work for a better Nigeria.

“Mr President, I propose that we observe a minute of silence in honour of Prof. Nwosu, given that his burial is tomorrow (Friday),” he said.

When the motion was put to a voice vote by Deputy Senate President, Jibrin Barau, who presided over the plenary, it was, however, greeted with a resounding ‘Nay’ by some of the senators.

The only prayer that was observed was a minute silence in honour of the late NEC chairman.

Earlier in the motion, Abaribe noted that the late Nwosu was the NEC chairman from 1989 to 1993.

“He was responsible for supervising the 1993 presidential election.

“We recognise that his courageous defence of the democratic electoral process during the 1993 elections led to the famous June 12 event, which ultimately confirmed MKO Abiola as the winner.

ALSO READ:  Senate dismisses allegations of ”self-determined” salaries

“His unwavering commitment to electoral integrity played a key role in establishing June 12 as Nigeria’s official Democracy Day.

“Additionally, we note that Nwosu laid a strong foundation for the present day Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“Sadly, he passed away on Oct. 20, 2024 at the age of 83 and will be buried tomorrow (Friday) in his hometown in Anambra,” he said.

Contributing, Sen. Adams Oshiomhole (APC-Edo), expressed the regret that when it mattered most, Nwosu’s courage failed him.

“We cannot distort history in this unit. We must be seen to have sentiments that reflect the average feeling of the average Nigerian.

“Prof. Nwosu, when it mattered most, his courage failed him,” he said.

Sen. Osita Izunaso (APC-Imo) said: “Mr President, it is important that we will not sit here to distort history. We are legislators and we are representing the people.

“Get a cross section of Nigerians and ask them what they think about Prof. Nwosu, they will tell you he was a hero.

“So for us to sit here now and begin to distort history is not fair for our democracy.”

Also speaking Sen. Solomon Adeola (APC-Ogun) said: “This is one issue I have tried as much as possible to avoid.

“Mr President, many of my colleagues have pulled up here and said he conducted the freest and fairest election.

“There are three different meanings and three different expectations that we should look at.

“Conducting elections, releasing results and announcing results. Yes, he conducted the election; yes, Prof. Nwosu released the result. But you and I know, releasing results is not the same thing as announcing results.

ALSO READ:  Posters Of Akpabio, El-Rufai in 2027 Presidential Bid— Are Fake - Says Eyiboh

“He failed at the critical moment when he was supposed to save this democracy”.

In his remarks, Deputy Senate President, Jibrin Barau, commended his colleagues on the manner in which the debate was conducted.

“You did very well. You marshaled your points. You said your views. And no rancour at all. This is how debates should be in an august institution like the senate.

“I subscribe to all these. I have my view. But I try not to be partial. I believe in June 12,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ighodalo vows to Appeal tribunal verdict upholding Okpebholo’s election victory

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, Mr Asue Ighodalo, has said he will challenge the tribunal’s judgment at the Court of Appeal.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Gov. Monday Okpebholo’s victory and dismissed the petitions from the PDP and Ighodalo.

Ighodalo, in a statement in Benin, said his decision to challenge the judgment aimed to protect Edo people’s collective rights and ensure they freely determine their future.

“Today, the Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on our petition challenging the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 election in our dear state.

“While we may not all agree with the verdict, we remain steadfast in our belief that the rule of law must continue as democracy’s foundational bedrock.

“Our pursuit of justice affirms our firm belief that Edo people’s right to freely choose their leaders through credible, free, and fair elections must always prevail.

“As a committed democrat, I respect the judiciary as the last hope of the common man and urge all Edo people to remain peaceful, calm, and law-abiding,” he stated.

Ighodalo said this was not the end of their journey but the beginning of a greater struggle for justice, democracy, and the sanctity of the people’s mandate.

He commended the people for their massive support, sincere love, and belief in their shared vision for a prosperous Edo, which had fuelled their journey.

“For us, this has never been about personal ambition but about our conviction to create a clear ‘Pathway to Prosperity’ for Edo while upholding democracy’s core values.

ALSO READ:  Nigeria Now Has A New National Anthem: “Nigeria We Hail Thee”

“I have, therefore, instructed my legal team to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge this decision, which we consider a serious miscarriage of justice.

“This is not about me or any single individual; it is about democracy’s essence, our collective right to determine our future, and our legacy for generations unborn.

“We remain resolute. We remain committed. We shall not waver in our pursuit of truth and justice,” Ighodalo said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Reactions trail Edo tribunal judgement

Published

on

Mixed reactions have continued to trail the tribunal’s judgment affirming the election of Gov. Monday Okpebholo as the winner of the Sept. 19 governorship election in Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Okpebholo’s victory.

It dismissed the petitions filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo.

Reacting to the judgment, the Edo chapter of the PDP expressed disappointment with the ruling delivered by the three-man election petition tribunal, led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi.

Chris Nehikhare, the State Publicity Secretary of the PDP Caretaker Committee, said the party was waiting to receive the Certified True Copy of the judgment before making further decisions.

“PDP is disappointed with the judgment of the Justice Wilfred Kpochi-led panel.

“As a party, we are waiting for the Certified True Copy. We will study it and decide on our next course of action,” Nehikhare said.

Mr Aslem Ojezua, a former PDP chieftain who defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC), said he was unsurprised by the tribunal’s decision, as the petition lacked merit.

“What I expect now is for Ighodalo to congratulate Okpebholo and join hands in solving the problems confronting our people and communities,” Ojezua said.

He added that the verdict was clear, highlighting the distinction between legal and sensational issues.

Chief Dan Orbih, PDP National Vice Chairman (South-South), said the tribunal had spoken, and they could not question its ruling.

Orbih stated that PDP would now focus on bringing back members who left during the primary election that produced Asue Ighodalo as the party’s candidate.

ALSO READ:  Group Threatens Legal Action Against Kano Judge Over LG Poll Ruling

He emphasised that efforts would commence to rebuild the party in Edo State following the election setback.

Orbih blamed the PDP’s struggles on former Gov. Godwin Obaseki, accusing him of driving members away from the party.

“Unfortunately, the former governor brought distress, division, and disaster to the PDP.

“Today, I did not see his face among those at the tribunal, waiting for the judgment outcome.

“As it stands, lawyers will study the verdict and make a decision after a careful review of the well-established ruling,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal Confirms Monday Okpebholo as Governor

Published

on

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has officially recognized Monday Okpebholo as the legitimate governor of Edo State.

In a series of three judgments, the tribunal rejected petitions submitted by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Action Alliance, and Accord Party.

The tribunal determined that the PDP did not present any witnesses to substantiate its claims of overvoting.

Specifically, the PDP failed to bring forth polling unit agents from the locations where they alleged electoral discrepancies occurred.

Furthermore, the tribunal noted that among the 19 witnesses presented by the petitioners, 14 were ward and local government agents, while the primary witness, who claimed to be a director of strategy for the PDP, had no involvement in the election’s execution.

Additionally, the tribunal remarked that the BVAS evidence submitted by the petitioners was inadequately presented.

ALSO READ:  Imo LG polls: APC may opt for consensus candidacy – Uzodimma
Continue Reading