• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Tinubu Under Pressure as Benue Elders Demand End to Sankera Violence

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
February 27, 2026
in News
0
FG Directs MDAs to Defer 70% of 2025 Capital Budget to 2026
0
SHARES
13
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

 

Some elders from Benue State have urged President Bola Tinubu’s government to bring peace by declaring a state of emergency in Sankera, Benue State, following recent violence in the area.

RelatedPosts

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

Iyorwuese Hagher, the president of the African Leadership Institute, Dayton, Ohio, United States, made the call at a news conference on Thursday in Abuja.

Mr Hagher, who spoke on behalf of the group, urged the federal government to deploy sufficient, rights-respecting security forces to take control of the area.

He also said the government should establish an independent judicial peace and reconciliation commission to investigate the root causes, document atrocities to ensure accountability, and provide a framework for retributive and restorative justice.

“The federal government should ensure the safe return of all internally displaced Sankera people to their ancestral homes and protect their lives from bandits and terrorists.

“The government should secure the large ungoverned space between Kasar and Agu-centre by establishing a robust army battalion in Kasar.

“It should organise a large-scale resettlement scheme in Sankera by establishing new modern towns with modern amenities, such as schools, hospitals, and police stations,” he said.

Mr Hagher, however, commended Mr Tinubu’s administration for partnering with the United States government to bring succour to victims of terrorism.

He also called on the African Union and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to conduct an independent fact-finding mission to determine the cause of the Sankera crisis.

ALSO READ:  Association Partners FG To Bridge Housing Deficit

He called on the United Nations Human Rights Council to urgently review the situation of crisis in Benue State, especially in Sankera.

Mr Hagher urged international humanitarian agencies to scale up assistance for internally displaced persons and host communities.

“Official silence and denial of the Sankera crisis have deepened the wounds. Inadequate documentation has obscured the scale of the suffering, and political hesitation has prolonged it,” he said.

He said that over one million people had been displaced across Benue State.

“They are Gwer West, Gwer East, Guma, and Agatu. The devastation in Kwande Local Government is a separate chapter of terror,” he said.

Mr Hagher said that the border communities of Abande and Anwase, near the Cameroon border, had also been occupied by armed bandits.

He said hundreds of thousands now lived in the camp of internally displaced persons (IDPs) or precarious host communities.

“As a result of the ongoing crisis, UNICEF has reported alarming levels of malnutrition and stunted growth among children.

“This has brought almost all the schools and health facilities in Sankera to be closed for nearly a decade,” Mr Hagher said.

(NAN)

Tags: Sankera ViolenceTinubu
Previous Post

Global Investors Set to Engage Nigerian Innovators at NEXTGEN 2026 Grand Finale

Next Post

Senate Asks Tinubu to Fire CAC Registrar-General Over Parliamentary Snub

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has distributed relief materials to victims of bandit attacks in Allawa and Bagna communities,...

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The Nigerian Navy has foiled a fresh attempt by crude oil theft syndicates to re-establish a major illegal refining network...

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The Tin-Can Island Port Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) generated ₦1.609 trillion in revenue throughout 2025, exceeding its...

Next Post
Senate Asks Tinubu to Fire CAC Registrar-General Over Parliamentary Snub

Senate Asks Tinubu to Fire CAC Registrar-General Over Parliamentary Snub

Opposition Parties Reject 2026 Electoral Act, Seek Amendment

Opposition Parties Reject 2026 Electoral Act, Seek Amendment

Recommended

Gagdi Loses Bid for Third Term as APC Lawmaker

Gagdi Loses Bid for Third Term as APC Lawmaker

7 days ago
Fubara Name Reappears in Rivers Governorship Race After Governor’s Exit

Fubara Name Reappears in Rivers Governorship Race After Governor’s Exit

3 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian Govt laments gaps in polio eradication despite $500m spent

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Political Imprint Of Dr. Hadiza Balarabe On Sanga Politics

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (836)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (412)
  • Health (253)
  • National (3,340)
  • News (10,405)
  • Opinion (445)
  • Politics (2,186)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (725)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform