• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

TikTok ban: Trump gives 75-day grace period

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 21, 2025
in News
0
TikTok ban: Trump gives 75-day grace period
0
SHARES
19
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram
U.S President Donald Trump has ordered a 75-day pause on enforcing a law that would effectively ban TikTok in the US, as he floated an idea of partnering with the app’s Chinese owner.

The executive order delayed implementation of the ‘Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, which took effect January 19 and would prohibit the distribution and updating of TikTok in the United States.

Trump had promised to move fast to save TikTok from the law that was passed overwhelmingly by Congress and signed by president Joe Biden last year.

RelatedPosts

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

While speaking to reporters from the White House, Trump said he was seeking a 50-50 partnership between “the United States” and its Chinese owner ByteDance, though he did not provide details on how this could be achieved.

The newly inaugurated Trump said as he signed the order, crediting the app for delivering him the youth vote in his election, according to abs-cbn. com.

“I guess I have a warm spot for TikTok that I didn’t have originally.

“Essentially, with TikTok, I have the right to either sell it or close it.

“We may have to get an approval from China too…but I’m sure they’ll approve it or that would be a hostile act” that could be reciprocated with tariffs”, he said.

In his first stint in the White House, Trump had attempted to ban TikTok in the US on national security concerns.

ALSO READ:  EFCC Rearrests Cybercrime Suspect After Court Grants Him N50m Bail

The TikTok ban law passed due to concerns that the Chinese government could exploit the app to spy on Americans or covertly influence US public opinion through data collection and content manipulation.

TikTok stopped working for US. users late on Saturday before a law shutting it down on national security grounds took effect on Sunday.

The US Authorities had said that under Chinese parent company ByteDance, there was a risk of Americans’ data being misused.

Trump then promised to issue an executive order as soon as he took office to delay the ban to allow time to “make a deal.”

TikTok restored service in the United States on Sunday crediting Trump for making the reversal possible, though the outgoing Biden administration had earlier said that it would not enforce any ban.

Trump said he planned to set up a joint venture between US companies and ByteDance and that the company could end up being valued a trillion dollars thanks to his intervention.

Under the order, the attorney general must issue guidance implementing the pause, and send letters to service providers confirming they won’t face liability for continuing to host or update TikTok during this period.

This clarification was crucial for companies like Apple and Google, which would otherwise be required to remove TikTok from their app stores and block updates.

They will face penalties of up to $5,000 per user if the app is accessed, and even Oracle, which hosts TikTok’s US servers, is also legally obliged to enforce the ban.

The 75-day pause is intended to give the new administration time to “pursue a resolution that protects national security while saving a platform used by 170 million Americans,” according to the order.(NAN)

Previous Post

Court orders arrest of Access Bank’s MD, others for theft, contempt

Next Post

Leadership development: Centre trains 2,687 Nigerians

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Next Post
Leadership development: Centre trains 2,687 Nigerians

Leadership development: Centre trains 2,687 Nigerians

Tax Reform Bill: TUC wants VAT rate at 7.5%

Tax Reform Bill: TUC wants VAT rate at 7.5%

Recommended

Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

6 days ago
Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,643)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform