• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Sudan Army close to taking control of Presidential Palace

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
March 20, 2025
in News
0
Sudan Army close to taking control of Presidential Palace
0
SHARES
2
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Sudan Army said it is close to taking control of the Presidential Palace in Khartoum from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.

State TV reported on Thursday, in a significant milestone in a two-year- old conflict that threatens to fracture the country.

RelatedPosts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

The RSF quickly took the palace and most of the capital at the outbreak of war in April 2023, but the Sudanese Armed Forces has in recent months staged a comeback and inched towards the palace along the River Nile.

The RSF, which earlier this year began establishing a parallel government, maintains control of parts of Khartoum and neighbouring Omdurman, as well as western Sudan, where it is fighting to take control of the army’s last stronghold in Darfur, al-Fashir.

The taking of the capital could hasten the army’s full takeover of central Sudan, and harden the east-west territorial division of the country between the two forces.

Both sides have vowed to continue fighting for the remainder of the country, and no efforts at peace talks had materialised.

The war erupted amid a power struggle between Sudan’s army and the RSF ahead of a planned transition to civilian rule.

The conflict has led to what the U.N. calls the world’s largest humanitarian crisis, causing famine in several locations and disease across the country.

I t said that both sides have been accused of war crimes, while the RSF has also been charged with genocide. Both forces deny the charges.

ALSO READ:  UCL: Ancelotti Identifies Man City’s Dangerous Four

The fight for the Presidential Palace has raged over the past several weeks, with the RSF fighting fiercely to maintain control, including via snipers placed around surrounding downtown buildings.

However, its leader, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, instructed troops earlier this week not to give up the palace.

Late on Wednesday into Thursday morning, explosions could be heard from airstrikes and drone attacks by the army targeting central Khartoum, witnesses and military sources told Reuters.

The army has long maintained the advantage of air power over the RSF, though the paramilitary group has shown evidence of increased drone capabilities recently.

On the Telegram messenger app, the RSF said its forces were making advances towards the Army General Command, also in central Khartoum, and eyewitnesses said the force was attacking from southern Khartoum.

The army’s advance in central Sudan since late last year has been welcomed by many people, who had been displaced by the RSF, which has been accused of widespread looting and arbitrary killings, and of occupying homes and neighbourhoods.

The RSF denies the charges and says individual perpetrators will be brought to justice.

Hundreds of thousands of people have returned to their homes in Central Sudan, though late on Wednesday activists in Omdurman warned that some soldiers have engaged in robbery.

The military has routinely denied such allegations.(dpa/NAN)

Previous Post

Group Tagged Zamfara PDP Chairman As Gov Dauda’s ‘Errand Boy’ In Fiery Rebuttal

Next Post

UK to increase passport fees from April 10 by

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the full scope development of 8.6-kilometre highway 105,...

Next Post
UK to increase passport fees from April 10 by

UK to increase passport fees from April 10 by

EFCC detains 10 officers, dismisses 27 for fraud

EFCC Rearrests Cybercrime Suspect After Court Grants Him N50m Bail

Recommended

Arewa Group Urges National Assembly to Embrace E-Transmission of Election Results

Arewa Group Urges National Assembly to Embrace E-Transmission of Election Results

7 days ago
I’m building a strong coalition to challenge APC – Atiku

Atiku Criticizes Flaws in Both Electronic and Manual Election Results Transmission

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (255)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (237)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,642)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform