Connect with us

News

Sallah rams: Prices rise in Kano, buyers lament

Published

on

Ahead of the Muslim festival of Eid-el-Kabir, customers are faced with high cost of rams in Kano.

A check by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in some markets within Kano metropolis on Thursday revealed that the markets were flooded with rams, but buyers were few.

At Dan-Agundi livestock market in Kano metropolis, the lowest price for a medium size ram was N140,000 while the big ones went for as high as N300, 000.

Some of the customers told NAN that the prices were too high, compared to last year when they bought rams at between N80, 000 and N130, 000.

A customer, Musa Shanono, who was met haggling over the price at the market, complained of the cost, but hoped that it would crash before the commencement of the celebration.

Another customer at Yan-Awaki market in Unguwa-Uku, Abdulaziz Buba, said he was unable to buy any ram due to the high price, but would wait until after the Eid prayers before buying one.

“There are other preparations to make ahead of the Eid; buying a ram at an exorbitant price is not necessary at this time. Hopefully, the prices would crash after the Eid prayer,” he said.

Jibril Shehu , a ram seller at Dawanau market, blamed the rise in prices on the high cost of breeding livestock, transport, insecurity and the general economic hardship in the country.

“We didn’t increase the prices deliberately, because anything you go to market to buy now is costly,” he explained.

Another ram dealer at Yan-Awaki market, Bala Muhammad, attributed the hike in prices of rams to the increase in the cost of transportation occasioned by subsidy removal.

ALSO READ:  Obaseki Empowering Youths, Creating Enabling Environment To Support Innovation, Others — Edojobs MD

“We are not making much profit because of the cost of transporting the animals. We also have to tend to the rams, feed and vaccinate them while waiting for customers,” he said.

He added that apart from the conventional ones, temporary ram markets had sprouted up on many major streets of Kano.

Another dealer at Ring Road, Sabo Aminu, said that the ram that sold for N80,000 last year was now going for N150,000.(NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Illegal Detention: IPOB Lawyer Writes Police Chiefs, Says Officers Ruined Young Marriage

Published

on

A legal practitioner, Sir Ifeanyi Ejiofor is demanding that the police hierarchy should investigate the arrest, brutalisation, torture, and detention of a business woman, Joy-Smart Chinenye by the monitoring unit personnel of the Nigeria Police Force Headquarters, based on a petition filed by her husband, George Obinna Smart Unaegbu, over alleged debt to him.

The incident which took place on Sunday (Mothers Day) was said to have elicited a serious drama, wild condemnation and is already causing ripples among the police hierarchy.

Ejiofor, also a lawyer to the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), in her petition to the Chairman of the Police Service Commission (PSC), Retired DIG Hashimu Argungu and Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, on behalf of his client, said the action of the officers have succeeded in destroying a young, promising marriage and exposing private marital issues to the public.

The petition reads, “We are Solicitors to Mrs. Joy-Smart Chinenye (hereinafter referred to as “Our client”) and we write under her explicit instruction and mandate, to petition for a thorough investigation into the unprofessional conduct of the officers mentioned above.

FACTS
“Our client is an industrious, hardworking, and responsible mother and wife to Mr. Obinna George Smart Unegbu, residing in Lagos.

“Our client has been married to Mr. Obinna George Smart for over a decade, and their union has been blessed with three intelligent children. The couple faced struggles at the beginning of their marriage but worked hard to establish one of the best private schools in the South-East, achieving excellence and financial success.

“Despite occasional domestic disagreements, our client never imagined that her husband would engage police officers to subject her to inhumane treatment, abuse, bullying, and torture, for no justifiable cause.

“Our client’s ordeal began on March 27, 2025, over a dispute regarding the late remittance of business funds by her husband, for which she had set a deadline, to the knowledge and approval of her husband. On this March 27, 2025, the trio of CSP…, 2/C … and ASP …stormed their matrimonial home in Lagos, demanding to see our client in the presence of her husband and children. Her attention was immediately called to the presence of the strange visitors in their home, and for which she quickly came downstairs to ascertain their mission.

ALSO READ:  Afenifere Factional Leader Dies At 96

“To our client’s greatest shock, the officers claimed they were from Area H Command Headquarters, Ikeja, and were acting on a petition filed by her husband, for which they will require her explanation regarding issues raised in the petition, which content they equally refused to disclose to our client at the material time in question. Right before our client’s children, her husband instructed the officers to immediately handcuff her and take her away. However, on our client’s insistence, a female member of this team escorted her to her room to change to a casual wear.

“Our client never resisted arrest but was denied the opportunity to contact her lawyer. The officers confiscated her mobile devices immediately and whisked her away in handcuffs, treating her with the greatest disdain as if she was a common criminal.

“Upon arrival at Area H Command Headquarters, Ikeja, our client was shown a petition from her husband regarding a financial transaction. She provided a detailed response, stating that her husband also owed her money. Despite her detailed explanation, the officers subjected our client to slapping, torture, and bullying to force her to pay the alleged debt, which she was told was the only condition that would guarantee her freedom.

“Our client’s husband witnessed all the abuse without intervening, as he was signalling approval for the apparent dehumanizing treatment. Overwhelmed and eager to return to her children, our client agreed to pay N5,000,000.00 (Five Million Naira Only) out of the alleged debt of N15,000,000.00 (Fifteen Million Naira Only). The officers provided an account number, to which she transferred the funds. An indication that what the officers actually set out to achieve primarily, was to recover the alleged debt our client allegedly owed the husband. A copy of the transaction receipt is attached herewith for your ease of reference, Sir.

ALSO READ:  Obaseki Receives Final Design For N19bn Edo Radisson Hotel Project, Sets October 2024 completion Date

“Even after the payment, the officers insisted that our client must commit to settling the balance or remain detained, for which she refused and challenged them to either release or kill her if that was the penalty she would pay for allegedly owing her husband. It was at this juncture that the officers revealed to our client that they were from the IGP Monitoring Unit, Abuja, and would transfer her to Abuja since she refused to make further payment.

“Our client was detained in FCID Unit, Panti, Lagos overnight and on March 28, 2025, was handcuffed, dragged through the Lagos Airport, and flown to Abuja against her will. In Abuja, our client was taken to the IGP Monitoring Unit, for an interface with the officer in charge of the team, where she endured further abuse, threats, bullying and intimidation, as the officer in charge also insisted that our client must settle the alleged indebtedness before she would regain her freedom.

“When our client refused to make additional payments, in settlement of the alleged outstanding sum, she was ordered to be transferred to the Abattoir-SARS detention facility- a centre known for housing criminals, kidnappers, and terrorists. In this facility, our client was made to share a cell with notorious criminals who also attacked and molested her, but for divine intervention, she could have been permanently disabled.

“Throughout our client’s illegal detention in Abuja, she was repeatedly taken to unknown locations at wee hours of the night for further coercion, bullying, threats and intimidation to pay this money. It will be pertinent that an investigation is conducted for further revelation on other malfeasance that was meted to her during this period she was taken outside the detention facility.

“On one occasion, our client was taken outside the facility in the night, her phone was given back to her, and she was forced to call her cousin, to demand help with the payment, an indication that she was principally held on account of her inability to settle this alleged outstanding indebtedness.

ALSO READ:  Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Pleadings For Release: A Defiant Stand

“This torment continued until our intervention secured her release in the late night of March 30, 2025, with the obvious assistance of the Police High Command. However, the physical and emotional scars remain.

Findings
“It is crystal clear that from the trajectory of the foregoing accounts, the officers are under no illusion that they were procured by our client’s husband to engage in debt recovery. It is a matter of common knowledge that your good offices had on several occasions issued clear directives, prohibiting police personnel from engaging in debt recovery.

“Our client was arrested in Lagos, subsequently transferred to Abuja, and subjected to torture, bullying, threats and intimidation, despite knowing that the subject matter was a civil matter, particularly between a husband and his wife.

“The officers coerced our client into paying N5,000,000.00 (Five Million Naira Only) into a strange bank account, not her husband’s account, and insisted she settle the alleged balance before her release, and her failure to settle the balance led to subsequent grave inhuman treatment meted to her.

“The actions of these officers have succeeded in destroying a young, promising marriage and exposing private marital issues to the public, which would have been totally avoidable and unnecessary if the officers had acted with circumspect and utmost professionalism.

Prayers
“Given these serious violations, we respectfully urge the Chairman to:
Launch a comprehensive investigation into these disturbing allegations that bothers on unethical conduct of the trio of CSP …, 2/C …, and ASP ….

“Take appropriate disciplinary action against these officers for their gross abuse of power.

“Recover and return the N5,000,000.00 (Five Million Naira Only) extorted from our client.

“Restore public confidence in the Nigeria Police Force by ensuring that officers adhere to ethical standards. We trust in your swift intervention, Sir, to deliver justice and uphold the integrity of the Force. Please, accept the assurances of our highest regards, Sir.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Sokoto Governor Bags ANCOPS’s Excellence Award In Education

Published

on

BY ANKELI EMMANUEL, Sokoto

In view of his numerous contributions to human capital development especially in the  education sector, the Sokoto state chapter of All Nigerian Conference of Principals of Secondary Schools (ANCOPPS) has conferred the award of Best Performing Governor on the state governor Ahmed Aliyu.

Making this known when ANCOPPS delegation paid  Salah homage on the governor, the State chairman of the association, Comrade Muhammed Ikililu, said the governor’s outstanding performance in the education sector especially the approval of 200,000 naira monthly maintenance stipend to principal’s of all the schools in the state stood him out amongst his peers hence the resolve to so honour him.

According to Ikililu, some of the tangible achievements which qualified the governor for the award include the renovation of many primary and Secondary and Primary schools across the state in less than two years.

“Prior to the coming of the Ahmed Aliyu-led administration, all Secondary schools in the state were in a state of disrepair, lacking conducive classrooms, staff rooms, toilet facilities for both teachers and students as well as general conducive learning environment.

“This lack of toilet facilities in schools had contributed significantly to the low attendance of female students in schools. This is also in addition to the  introduction and sustainance of N200,000 naira monthly cash allocation to all the Principals to enable them undertake minor repairs in their schools”.

The Chairman further thanked the governor for upward the upward review of students’ feeding allowance from N150  to N450  per student, a gesture which according to him has greatly helped in retaining students in schools.

ALSO READ:  2 die in Imo bomb explosion – Police

“”These efforts made by governor Ahmed Aliyu had no doubt significantly improved the students’ turn out and retention in schools”, the ANCOPs chairman enthused.

In the same vein, the management management of the State Universal Basic Education Board under its Chairman, Alhaji Ummaru Na Gwari Tambuwal while on a Salah homage also lauded governor Aliyu’s recent renovation of some primary schools in the state, and the payment of N70,000  minimum wage to primary teachers across the state.

“Before you came, many of our teachers were denied their promotions, but that has now become history as all the teachers that are due for promotion have been promoted. And the support of all the teachers is assured at all times” Nagwari Tambuwal noted.

Responding, governor Ahmed Aliyu called on ANCOPSS and SUBEB to reciprocate the gestures done to them by the present administration by being punctual, dedicated and committed to their duty.

“I expect extra hard work, commitment and dedication from  all of you so that our students can get the best of education,” Ahmed Aliyu charged

The governor further reassured his administration’s determination to create a more conducive atmosphere that would guarantee effective teaching and learning at both basic and secondary levels.

He also appealed to parents and guardians in the state to cooperate with the state government in its quest to change the old narrative of Sokoto being one of the educationally  backward states in the federation.

Continue Reading

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  Obaseki Receives Final Design For N19bn Edo Radisson Hotel Project, Sets October 2024 completion Date

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading