Connect with us

News

Outrage in Germany over alleged Russian plot to kill Rheinmetall chief

Published

on

German politicians are outraged after a CNN report detailed an alleged Russian plot to assassinate Armin Papperger, the head of German arms maker, Rheinmetall.

The company has been key in providing German military aid to Ukraine.

According to the CNN report published on Thursday, U.S. intelligence uncovered plans by the Russian government to assassinate Papperger, the chief executive of Rheinmetall, earlier this year.

CNN cited “five U.S. and western officials familiar with the episode.’’

German authorities said they were notified of the plot and as a result increased security for Papperger at the time.

The U.S. broadcaster said a German government official confirmed that Berlin had received the warning.

Rheinmetall has so far not commented on the report.

The chairman of the Defence Committee in the German parliament, Marcus Faber, was among those who immediately reacted to the alleged plot.

“It shows once again that Russia is also bringing its war and terror to Europe.

“The Putin regime is now also seeking the lives of German citizens,’’ Faber told Germany’s Bild tabloid.

The chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Michael Roth, told Bild that Russian President Vladimir Putin “isn’t only waging a war of annihilation against Ukraine, but also against its supporters and our values.’’

Rheinmetall boss Papperger, who has openly criticised Russia’s invasion of Ukraine launched in February 2022, is said to have had personal security for some time.

Rheinmetall is one of the largest European suppliers of armour technology and artillery shells for Ukraine and, according to its own account, the largest manufacturer of artillery ammunition in the western world.

ALSO READ:  NGO Holds Annual Thanksgivings Celebration,Call For Unity

In June, the company opened a repair workshop for armoured personnel carriers in western Ukraine.

It also has plans to produce new tanks.

According to CNN, the foiled assassination attempt against Papperger was part of series of planned attacks on the leadership of arms makers across Europe that supplies Ukraine with weapons.

German defence policy expert Serap Güler, from the conservative opposition Christian Democrats, told Bild.

“In my opinion, our response to this can only be increased with support for Ukraine.’’

Foreign policy expert Roth, from Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s Social Democrats, called for a German response that mirrors “the rigour of the democratic constitutional state.’’

Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said in comments on the sidelines of the NATO summit in Washington that Russia was waging a hybrid war of aggression.

Both individuals and companies have been attacked on European territory, she said. (dpa/NAN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  Prof. Ogbo Hails Ododo's Education Reforms

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar earthquake: Rescue efforts ongoing amidst increasing fatalities

Published

on

The death toll from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,085, with 4,715 people injured and 341 reported missing.

This is according to the Information Team of the State Administration Council on Thursday.

Chinese rescuers are continuing search and rescue operations in hard-hit Mandalay, central Myanmar, following the deadly earthquake last week, and have so far rescued nine survivors from the rubble.

On Thursday afternoon, the second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived in Myanmar.

The second batch of aid supplies include 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies.

The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31. (Xinhua/NAN)

ALSO READ:  NGO Holds Annual Thanksgivings Celebration,Call For Unity
Continue Reading

News

China threatens retaliation in response to new US tariffs

Published

on

Beijing on Thursday threatened countermeasures after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods, further escalating trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

The U.S. has already imposed 20 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports, prompting retaliation from Beijing.

The latest round, which Trump had announced on Wednesday, adds a 34 per cent tariff hike, raising total duties on many Chinese products to over 50 per cent.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said that the tariffs violated international trade rules and were based on subjective and unilateral assessments by the U.S., calling them a typical act of bullying.

The ministry urged Washington to remove the measures and resolve disputes through dialogue, or it would take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests.

Trump on Wednesday announced new blanket tariffs of 10 per cent on most U.S. imports, with higher penalties based on trade deficits. (dpa/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Ground Rent: Wike Revokes 4,794 Land Titles
Continue Reading