• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Nigerian Army, police, restore peace to 7 warring communities in Edo

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
February 24, 2025
in News
0
0
SHARES
15
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Calm has returned to seven warring communities after no fewer than 23 persons were feared dead with several others injured in an attacks in Ovia South West Local Government of Edo.

The affected communities included Marindoti, Gbelemontin Domiju, Kola Village, Taiye Camp, Eto Camp, Dipe Community, Bala Dele Community, and Thousand Community.

RelatedPosts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the settlements were predominantly inhabited by farmers from various ethnic backgrounds, including Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and Benin.

Eyewitnesses reported that the assailants, believed to be militants from nearby creeks, stormed the settlements early on Feb. 21, shooting indiscriminately, setting houses ablaze, and other properties.

The onslaught forced residents to flee en masse, abandoning their homes and livelihoods.

One of the witnesses described the attacks as a reprisal for the killing of a suspected cocoa thief by local vigilantes employed by the farmers.

This incident escalated existing tensions between the farmers and the alleged militants, who had previously been accused of encroaching on farmlands and stealing produce.

Spokesman of the police command, CSP Moses Yamu, said on Sunday, that operatives of the Iguobazuwa Police Division, in collaboration with the Nigerian Army and the local Vigilantes had intervened.

Yamu said the police had evacuated the casualties to the hospital.

“The joint operation has restored peace to the communities.

“However, investigation into the cause of the clash has equally commenced.

ALSO READ:  HURIWA Applauds NDLEA, Seeks Financial Autonomy

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Betty Otimenyin, has vowed that no stone would be left unturned in order to unravel the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate and avoidable incident,” he said.

A NAN correspondent, who visited the scene, however, observed a mass exodus of displaced persons carrying their belongings, seeking refuge in safer areas.

Many homes were reduced to ashes, and the once-thriving farming communities now resembled ghost towns.

Speaking with NAN, Igbala Obazuaye, the head of Marindoti community, said they had been farming in the area for years, but trouble started for them when some youth began to demand for royalties from them.

“It started in 1998 when some youths began encroaching on our land, stealing our crops, and kidnapping our people, notwithstanding the payment of the royalties,” he said.

Obazuaye, who sustained bullet wounds, said the asailiants evaded the community around 8 a.m killing seven persons in his community alone.

According to him, the assailants burnt cocoa, kola nut and cash crops worth more than N20 million.

He appealed for the establishment of a police station, and assistance in rebuilding their communities.

Also, Nafisat Abdulazeez, a resident of Dipe community, described the experience as traumatic, calling for an immediate intervention of Gov. Monday Okpebholo.

She told NAN that no fewer than 15 persons were killed in her Dipe community, while several others had gone missing.

“They came into our community, shooting and burning houses. They killed 15 people, and many more were injured.

“They even burnt my own house, and my family was forced to flee,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Court orders I-G to release singer “Speed Darlington“ within 48 hours

A resident, Mr Joseph Otu refuted the claim that the attack was communal, saying it was unprovoked attacks by militants aiming to extort and terrorise peaceful farmers.

Otu also urged authorities to deploy security forces to safeguard the area, highlighting the communities’ significant contributions to the state’s economy through the cultivation of crops like cocoa, kola nuts, and plantain.

On his part, Usman Mukaila of Dipe community, lauded the immediate deployment of men of the 4 Brigade of the Nigeran Army, Brig-Gen. Ebenezer Oduyebo, calling for an establishment of Army base in the area.

“We commend the Commander of the 4 Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Benin, for the immediate intervention and deployment of soldiers.

“That has helped to calm the situation for now. If not for him, the rest people would have gone. We also thank the governor.

“We, however, urge him to bring a permanent Army base to this area. We really need his help. You can see all our women and children leaving,” he said. (NAN)

Tags: restore peace
Previous Post

APC calls Osun LG election by Adeleke “Illegal”

Next Post

NAAT demands immediate payment of salaries arrears

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Next Post

NAAT demands immediate payment of salaries arrears

ASUU, Kaduna State University Chapter Suspends Strike

Recommended

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

FG Flagship Programme to Empower 22,000 Farmers Nationwide

6 days ago
Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

Tinubu Appoints Diplomat Yusuf to Lead Hajj Commission Amid Reshuffle

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,072)
  • News (9,646)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform