• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Kano Orphanage Co-founder Laments Continuous Detention Of 16 Inmates

Elanza by Elanza
May 1, 2023
in News
0
Kano Orphanage Co-founder Laments Continuous Detention Of 16 Inmates
0
SHARES
77
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The co-founder of the Du Merci Centre Orphanage, Kano State, Prof. Richard Solomon Musa Tarfa, has urged the federal government to intervene in the continuous detention of 16 inmates of the orphanage, forcefully taken into custody by the Kano State Government.

He made the call in Abuja at a media conference.

RelatedPosts

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

He also lamented that the condition of the children, made up of seven males and nine females, was deteriorating by the day, due to inadequate care for them from the authorities.

He said that the 16 children, who were made up of seven males and nine females, had stopped schooling, while they have rapidly lost English communication skills, apart from that the religion of the children were been changed against their wish.

He urged the minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen, to urgently intervene to ensure the timely release of the childrens.

Prof. Tarfa also urged relevant authorities in Kano to expedite actions to ensure the children are released before May 29, when the present administration is expected elapse, and hand over to a new administration especially now that the charges against him have been quashed.

According to him, himself and wife have suffered untold persecution since their ordeal started in 2002, when he was first arrested, charged with criminal abduction of minors and sentenced to prison before he was later vindicated by a superior court.

ALSO READ:  Vandalism Behind Incessant Grid Collapses -TCN

Tarfa, who was released from prison in January, 2023, said, it amounted to double jeopardy for the Kano State government to continue to hold on to the 16 children, against the backdrop of the judgment of superior court, which exonerated him.

“Initially, I and my wife were arrested, under the pretext that we were operating illegal orphanage. Du Merci was forcibly closed by the Kano State authorities.

When we eventually proved that the Centre was operating legally, they changed the charges to forceful abduction of minors. They have done everything to rope me but because I did nothing wrong, I have continued to triumph.

“In 2002, and following the intervention of the late Emir of Kano and a legal challenge in the wake of a similar raid, a High Court ruled that the Du Merci Centre was duly registered and was conducting a legitimate endeavour.

It also ordered the return of the children who had been seized. A copy of this ruling is also available easily.
“The pressing issue now is the release of the 16 children at my centre that were forcefully taken away. If their action is based on the allegation that I was operating illegally, now I have been exonerated. I want my children back. They need to be taken care of. They need to go to school,” Tarfa said.

He explained that himself and his wife opened the Du Merci Centre in 1996 to care for abandoned children in the Christian District of Sabon Gari of the state and that the centre provides accommodation for these children, who view them as parents and are educated and cared for until they are able to live successful independent lives.

ALSO READ:  Ekele, Chief Medical Director,University of Abuja Teaching Hospital Bags Leadership Award

He said, “The pressing issue now is the release of the 16 children at my Centre that were forcefully taken away. If their action is based on the allegation that I was operating illegally, now I have been exonerated. I want my children back. They need to be taken care of. They need to go to school.”

Previous Post

Invictus Africa, BudgIT Launches ‘Womanity Index’ To Track Gender Equality, GBV Interventions

Next Post

Troops Rescue Pregnant Chibok Girl With Three-year-Old Child

Elanza

Elanza

Related Posts

El-Rufai: Tinubu’s Govt Most Corrupt, Worst in Nigerian History

LPCF alleges political witch-hunt In El-Rufai’s arrest

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Ojima-ojo The Labour Party Candidates Forum on Tuesday alleged political persecution in the arrest of former Kaduna State...

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Next Post
Troops Rescue Pregnant Chibok Girl With Three-year-Old Child

Troops Rescue Pregnant Chibok Girl With Three-year-Old Child

Police Panel Invites Suspended Adamawa REC Over Conduct During Guber Poll

Police Panel Invites Suspended Adamawa REC Over Conduct During Guber Poll

Recommended

Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

7 days ago
INEC & Parties Forge Critical 2027 Reforms Path as FCT Elections Loom

INEC Appointment: Christian Group Hammers Shari’a Council, Warns Against Provocative Statements

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,074)
  • News (9,647)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform