• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home National

How I Watched Killing Of My Five Children – Victim Of Yelwata Attack Testifies At US Congress

Elanza by Elanza
November 21, 2025
in National, News
0
How I Watched Killing Of My Five Children – Victim Of Yelwata Attack Testifies At US Congress
0
SHARES
11
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A survivor of the Yelwata attack in Benue State, Msurshima Apeh, has narrated her ordeal before the United States Congress, describing how she watched the killing of her five children during the attack.

The victim testified on Thursday before the House Subcommittee on Africa, which examined President Donald Trump’s decision to return Nigeria to the Country of Particular Concern (CPC) list.

She recounted the moment armed men stormed the camp where hundreds of displaced families had been sleeping.

RelatedPosts

World on Edge as Pandemic Threats Outpace Preparedness – WHO

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

CUFI Urges FG to Seek Foreign Partnerships to Tackle Insecurity

“When we went to sleep that night around 9 pm, the Fulani terrorists attacked us where we were sleeping. We were locked inside the camp, Yelwata, and they were butchering them with cutlasses and shooting guns as well.

“When the torture had finished at some point in time, they poured petrol on the building and the majority of them were set ablaze,” she said virtually from her base in Benue State.

The victim of the Yelwata killings said she was forced to climb a tree to save herself as her children cried below.

“In the course of this action, I saw a tree when I lifted my eyes. I raised my hands on the tree and climbed up where I was able to hide myself. My five children that I left below were crying, and in my presence, they were being slaughtered by the terrorists,” she recounted.

She explained that she eventually fled into the bush before rescue workers found her and moved her to safety.

ALSO READ:  Minimum wage: Labour gives defaulters till March to implement

“I ran out into the bush at some point, and those who came for rescue will now bring me out of that place at some point, and I was able to witness the whole drama. When the people came, we were now relocated to a new camp,” the witness said.

The Yelwata attack occurred in June 2025 in the Guma Local Government Area of Benue State. Reports estimated the death toll at over 100 to 200 people, while more than 3,000 people were displaced. Many survivors were moved to camps in Nasarawa State.

Some of the burnt houses in the Benue attack on April 15, 2025

Civil rights groups disputed the government’s figures, claiming as many as 200 may have died in that single attack. Security sources identified the assailants as suspected armed herdsmen.

Tinubu in a hospital ward in Makurdi, Benue, where Yelwata attack victims are being treated. Photo: State House.
The killings drew national outrage. President Bola Tinubu condemned the attack, visited the victims in the hospitals and ordered a security response.

Emergency officials later warned that displaced families faced shortages of food, healthcare, and bedding. The Police later announced that it has arrested 26 suspects over the attack.

Youths protesting the killings in Benue
The attack further spotlighted the long-running farmer–herder conflict in Nigeria’s Middle Belt and heightened concerns about religiously motivated violence.

The victim’s testimony at Thursday’s hearing followed Trump’s decision in October to return Nigeria to the CPC list. He alleged systematic Christian persecution and confirmed that military options were under review.

ALSO READ:  Christmas:Dogara Calls for Compassion,Patience

Trump’s allegations intensified criticism of Nigeria’s handling of Islamist attacks, but the Nigerian government rejected the claims.

President Bola Tinubu insisted that Nigeria protects religious freedom and said the country is not “religiously intolerant” towards its citizens.

Tags: US Congress
Previous Post

ADC BoT warns Atiku, Obi, others against party hijack

Next Post

‘Engage Faith Communities,’ CSIS Director Lists Ways To Resolve Nigeria’s Insecurity

Elanza

Elanza

Related Posts

World on Edge as Pandemic Threats Outpace Preparedness – WHO

World on Edge as Pandemic Threats Outpace Preparedness – WHO

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 18, 2026
0

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that global investments in pandemic preparedness are failing to keep pace with rising...

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

by Elanza
May 18, 2026
0

The Allied Forces for Lagos Growth has welcomed the emergence of Mr Ayo Gbeleyi as the running mate to the...

CUFI Urges FG to Seek Foreign Partnerships to Tackle Insecurity

CUFI Urges FG to Seek Foreign Partnerships to Tackle Insecurity

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 18, 2026
0

By Amos Tauna, Kaduna The Kaduna State chapter of Christians United for Israel (CUFI) has called on the federal government...

Next Post
‘Engage Faith Communities,’ CSIS Director Lists Ways To Resolve Nigeria’s Insecurity

‘Engage Faith Communities,’ CSIS Director Lists Ways To Resolve Nigeria’s Insecurity

Schoolgirls’ Abduction: Tinubu Directs Matawalle To Relocate To Kebbi

Schoolgirls’ Abduction: Tinubu Directs Matawalle To Relocate To Kebbi

Recommended

Hajj 2026: Nigeria Airlifts 70% of Pilgrims to Saudi Arabia

Hajj 2026: Nigeria Airlifts 70% of Pilgrims to Saudi Arabia

3 days ago
US, Nigerian Airstrikes Kill 20 IS/ISWAP Fighters in Borno

US, Nigerian Airstrikes Kill 20 IS/ISWAP Fighters in Borno

10 hours ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Political Imprint Of Dr. Hadiza Balarabe On Sanga Politics

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Movement For Better Taraba Endorses Danji SS for Governor, Calls for APGA Support

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (833)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (404)
  • Health (252)
  • National (3,330)
  • News (10,364)
  • Opinion (444)
  • Politics (2,165)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (718)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform