Connect with us

News

FG Approves N15bn Infrastructure Upgrade Concession For Phase Two Of e-NSITF

Published

on

The federal government has approved the phase two of the electronic Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (e-NSITF), which will enable concessionaires to upgrade the infrastructure for N15 billion.

Chris Ngige, minister of labour and employment, spoke to journalists at the end of the federal executive council (FEC) meeting, presided over by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday.

Ngige said Nigeria operates under the Employee Compensation Act (ECA), 2010.

Under the ECA, employers are expected to make a minimum contribution of 1 percent of the total monthly payroll into the employees’ compensation fund.

“Therefore, what we are trying to do is to align the contributions of NSITF to make it fraud-free. People should be able to make the contributions of workers with ease even from the comfort of their office and generate certificates,” he said.

“You know that the ECA makes it mandatory for all employers to insure through a token contribution of percent (sic) of emolument of their workers to the fund called social trust fund of the NSITF.

“And that is the fund with which, if you have an accident or disease condition or debt or disability in the course of work, you can make a claim, like an insurance claim.

“So, we now want to refine it, because there are cases of enforcement officers going to companies to tell the company ‘well, you have 1000 workers, but you can pay for only 100’. That is shortcutting the organisation. There are losses of revenue from that.”

Ngige said FEC had earlier approved phase one of the e-NSITF, which is “minimal infrastructure and cloud activity”.

ALSO READ:   Anniversary: Sani inaugurates 24 classrooms in Rafin-Guza

“Now is for a concessionaire to do infrastructure and upgrade in the neigbourhood of N15 billion and then after that, it will take some percentage on incremental revenue that accrued. It will make the form more liquid now and we will be able to do our functions appropriately,” Ngige said.

“So, the council gave the go-ahead today and approved it and directed ICRC, which is the body that is authorised by law to enter into such concession to continue the process and liaise with the office of the attorney-general of the federation.”

The minister said the council also granted approval for the amendment of obsolete laws of the country, in line with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) standard.

“The labour laws of the country, as presently being operated, are really obsolete laws. And the ILO has pointed out that we need to bring our laws to be concurrent with international labour standards and conventions and principles at work,” he. said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

MSMEs backbone of the Nigerian economy – Minister

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Jumoke Oduwole, has described Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as the backbone of the Nigerian economy.

Oduwole stated this on Wednesday in Makurdi at the opening of a 2-day Benue Inventors and Entrepreneurs Exhibition 2025.

The minister stated that MSMEs contribute more than 48 per cent to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and also account for 96 per cent of businesses and 84 per cent of employment.

She said that entrepreneurship was a key driver of any thriving economy and urged the Nigerians to continue to strive in the sector.

Oduwole said the Federal Government was committed to implementing policies and initiatives that would strengthen the MSMEs.

The minister promised that the government would continue to work on ease of doing business.

“This is just a call to action to continue to support your ingenuity, and we commend your resilience and your determination to build businesses that not only meet your needs in this community but also contribute to the broader economic landscape.

“So the products on display today are a testament to your hard work and creative vision, and I have no doubt that these products are poised to compete both locally and on the global stage.

“To the esteemed consumers and visitors here today, this exhibition offers you an opportunity to experience firsthand the quality and innovation of locally made products.

“By supporting these businesses, you’re contributing to the growth of our national economy, creating jobs and promoting sustainable development.

“Let us make a conscious effort to prioritise made-in-Nigeria products,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Biden to meet Trump at White House on Wednesday

Oduwole commended Gov. Hyacinth Alia for his vision and commitment to fostering an environment that empowers entrepreneurs, promotes local production and drives the growth of the local economy.

The minister stated that Benue, known as the Food Basket of the Nation, has vast agricultural resources that contributed significantly to Nigeria’s food security.

She said the state has embraced the entrepreneurial spirit by creating policies and directly supporting the facilitation of industrial growth and support for innovative-driven businesses.

“This exhibition is a testament to the creativity, talent and ingenuity that defines the good people of Benue.

“It reflects the spirit of resilience and innovation that defines the individual entrepreneurial energy of this great state,” she said.

Commissioner for Science, Technology, and Innovation, Mr Nick Eworo, said in his welcome address that the state was well positioned to become the hub of innovation and technological advancements in North Central Nigeria.

Eworo said the theme of the exhibition, “Innovating for a Sustainable Future”, reflects the state’s commitment to leveraging science, technology, and entrepreneurship to drive lasting change.

“Benue is brimming with untapped talent, and what you see today is just a glimpse of the vast potential that exists across our state,” he said (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Barau condoles with victims of Edo attack, donates N16m

Published

on

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday sympathised with the families of 16 travellers killed in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Barau met with the families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in Bunkure town, headquarters of Bunkure Local Government Area.

Barau promised to sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

He also announced a donation of N1 million to each family, totalling N16 million.

He said, “I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday.

“May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened and immediately contacted the state governor, security agencies, and stakeholders. They acted swiftly, and so far, 16 suspects have been arrested.”

The state governor, who visited Barau’s house in Abuja, assured him that the state government would support the families.

“We will not take this incident lightly and will ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law,” Barau added.

The Chief Imam of Bunkure, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked the senator for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as a leader needed for national development. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  SON Inaugurates Mobile Calibration Vehicle, Measuring Equipments In Rivers
Continue Reading

News

FG re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.

The government had announced closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.

It was to remain closed until May.

However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out later.

He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.

He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation. (NAN)

ALSO READ:   Anniversary: Sani inaugurates 24 classrooms in Rafin-Guza
Continue Reading