News
Banjul: Interregional African Ministerial Meeting Will Enhance Nigeria’s Sport Economy – Dikko

By Israel Bulus, Kaduna
The Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Mal. Shehu Dikko, who’s one of the leading panelist at the Interregional African Ministerial Meeting in Banjul, Gambia, said the event would help enhance Nigeria’s sports economy.
The meeting was declared open by the Gambian President His Excellency Adama Barrow on Tuesday brought together ministers of sports from the African continent, the Bureau of the ninth session of the Conference of Parties (COP9) to the International Convention against Doping in Sport, representatives of African interregional organizations, as well as experts and key stakeholders.
The meeting tagged, “Leveraging Sport for Socio-Economic Development, Social Cohesion, and Peace” is aimed to consolidate a vision and strengthen cooperation at the regional level.
Dikko, expressed optimism that the event will help to strengthen the Commission’s efforts to actualize the Renewed Hope Initiative For Nigerian Sports Economy (RHINSE).
“We are taking a route that had never been taken before. The task of evolving the sports economy is one that will need collaborations and that is why we have been doing wide consultations and engagements with stakeholders.
” This meeting will enable us to further cross-fertilize ideas, compile notes with colleagues from other jurisdictions and create further collaborations within the continent and beyond in support of our work in delivering our mandate”
PUNCH reports, that the high-level forum, which brought together key stakeholders across Africa and beyond, focused on fostering inter-regional cooperation to enhance sports governance, values, and integrity.
Dikko, emphasized that his transformative potential of sports was to drive economic growth, uniting communities, promoting peace, reflecting Nigeria’s commitment to advancing regional and global sports development initiatives.
News
Lift wanted tag on socialite, Aisha Achimugu – Coalition urges EFCC

A coalition of youth organisations has urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to reconsider its wanted tag on socialite, Dr Aisha Sulaiman Achimugu, OFR.
The organisations, Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative said this in a joint press statement they issued on Thursday in Abuja.
According to them, the declaration of Achimugu wanted by the anti-corruption agency came to them as a rude shock.
The joint statement was signed by Comrade Emma Niboro and Ali Ameh for Niger Delta Youth Council for Good Governance and Middle Belt Youth Stakeholders’ Initiative, respectively.
They described Achimugu as a dedicated friend of the youths, who had always shown commitment to the welfare and care of the downtrodden.
According to the youth coalition, “we know the Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede, as a man who came with utmost zeal to sanitize the agency. He has already demonstrated this and we are proud of his achievements so far.
“However, we urge him to resist pressure from politicians, which is a plague that has dwarfed EFCC for several years of its existence.
“The commission had hitherto remained a tool for politicians to undue their perceived political foes and this has always rubbed off on the credibility of the agency.
“The case of Achumugu doesn’t appear to be different in any way, as the haste with which she was declared wanted showed there is a hand of Esau and voice of Jacob.
“Our appeal is that the commission should withdraw the wanted tag on her and give her ample time to report to the commission, as she has never been indicted of any offence whether in Nigeria or outside the country.”
While noting that Achimugu is a global figure, they added that they can always vouch for her integrity.
“We know her, she has always been of immense help to the youths and other members of the society.
“Her closeness to certain politicians should not be used as a tool to persecute or harass her,” the youths further stated.
News
Appea Court Lack Jurisdiction To Declare Abure As The National Chairman Of LP – Supreme Court

The Supreme Court has overturned the Court of Appeal’s decision that recognised Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP). In a decisive ruling, a five-member panel declared that the Court of Appeal lacked the legal authority to determine the party’s leadership matters.
In a unanimous verdict, the highest court in the land stated that the Court of Appeal had no jurisdiction over the matter. The panel observed that since the case revolved around the internal leadership structure of the Labour Party, it fell outside the jurisdiction of the courts.
The ruling reinforced the long-standing principle that leadership disputes within political parties should be resolved internally, rather than through judicial intervention.
The Supreme Court stressed that leadership struggles within political parties are purely internal matters. According to legal principles, courts should not interfere in such issues, as they fall under the party’s constitution and governance framework. By upholding this legal doctrine, the apex court reaffirmed that political parties must settle their leadership crises independently.
The Supreme Court upheld the appeal lodged by Senator Nenadi Usman and a fellow appellant, ruling that their claims were valid. Their appeal challenged the earlier judgment, arguing that it was flawed due to jurisdictional overreach. After thorough legal scrutiny, the Supreme Court found merit in their argument and ruled in their favour.
The legal battle also involved a cross-appeal filed by supporters of Julius Abure, who sought to challenge the decision against their leader. However, the Supreme Court dismissed this cross-appeal, declaring it unsubstantiated and lacking merit. The ruling effectively ended the legal contest over the Labour Party’s chairmanship, cementing the judiciary’s stance on non-interference in party leadership disputes.
News
Bitcoin Drops to $82,000 After Trump’s Tariff Announcement

Bitcoin experienced sharp fluctuations following President Donald Trump’s April 2 tariff announcement, initially surging to $88,000 before dropping to $82,000.
By April 3, it stabilized around $83,000, with the broader crypto market down over 4%. Major altcoins like Ethereum and Solana also declined over 6%, hitting multi-month lows.
Analysts see the tariff news as reducing market uncertainty, potentially attracting institutional investors.
Despite higher-than-expected rates, experts believe the clarity could help Bitcoin regain momentum toward $90,000. Bitcoin ETFs, led by BlackRock, recorded $218 million in inflows on April 2, reversing prior outflows.
Kraken’s Thomas Perfumo challenged the idea that institutional interest stabilizes crypto, emphasizing that volatility signals demand for a scarce asset.
Some analysts viewed the sell-off as an overreaction to trade policy concerns, highlighting Bitcoin’s resilience as a store of value.
With ETFs showing strong demand, Bitcoin’s price may stabilize and rise, though market participants remain cautious, monitoring trade policies and economic conditions.