By Israel Bulus, Abuja
The Atyap Community Development Association (ACDA) has said that about 518 people have been gruesomely murdered while over 20 villages have been ransacked by terrorists since 2017.
According to the association, thousands of residents have been displaced while 18 villages burnt down completely from 2017 till date.
The President, ACDA, Samuel Achi stating this on Monday while addressing a world press Conference.
He said the persistent attacks are the handwork of some criminal elements in their midst that need to be apprehended and punished in accordance with the provisions of the criminal law.
Achi said the systematic attacks, killings and burning going on in Atyap land in Southern Kaduna by armed militias with the collaboration of the locals is pathetic.
He said the people leaving within their communities are the ones aiding and sheltering the terrorists in Zangon Urban, adding that the goal is is to take over their ancestral land.
Even though Achi said they shall resist further attacks with their last drop of their blood, many believed that the unabated killings in Southern Kaduna is one too many.
“We call on our people to exercise their natural, fundamental and constitutional right of self defence against any further unprovoked attacks, stressing enough is enough. We also want to make it very clear that henceforth any attack on any of our communities will attract a total no go area for rearing cows,” Achi vowed.
Achi, who alleged that there is a conspiracy within the military circle operating in their area, said their presence in the area is not helping to stop the carnage.
He explained that instead of performing their primary assignment of securing all lives and properties of the communities, that some of the officers are selective and taking sides.
“This is evident in the 2023 first quarter Security Report presented to the Kaduna State Government by the Sector Commander, Operation Safe Haven in Southern Kaduna, Brigadier General Timothy Opurum on the recent killings in Atyap land.
“In his doctored submission, the Sector Commander gave an unbalanced, lopsided report and was very economical with facts which prompted the Governor to note “with concern the continued failure of the traditional and community leaders in Zangon Kataf Chiefdom to prevent resort to self-help by recalcitrant youths.
“His report did not convey the positive role played so far by the Traditional Council and other community leaders in persuading the youths not to take the laws into their own hands.
On his part, the Executive Chairman of Zango Kataf Local Government Area, Hon. Francis Sani (Zimbo) called on the Federal Government and the International Community to support the vulnerable communities.
He said the displaced persons are in dire need of medical assistance to help treat their ailments and rebuild their burnt communities.
Leave a Reply