• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Alleged fraud: Court admits oil magnate, Akintoye, to N500m bail

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 8, 2025
in News
0
Alleged fraud: Court admits oil magnate, Akintoye, to N500m bail
0
SHARES
5
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram
A Federal High Court in Abuja, on Wednesday, admitted Mr Akindele Akintoye, Founder and Chairman of Platform Capital Investment Partners Limited, to a N500 million bail with two sureties in like sum.

Justice Emeka Nwite, in a ruling, held that though he was not unmindful of the serious nature of the offence preferred against the defendant but he was minded to grant the bail in the interest of justice.

Justice Nwite, who ordered that the two sureties shall depose to affidavit of means, directed that the sureties must have landed property within the jurisdiction of the court and the documents deposited with the deputy registrar of the court.

RelatedPosts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

He ordered that all his international passports be deposited with the registrar and shall not travel without the permission of the court.

He also ordered that Akintoye and the sureties shall deposit two recent passport photographs each and the residence of the sureties verified by the court registrar.

The judge, who ordered that both the prosecution and defence counsel shall supervise and interview the proposed sureties before Akintoye is released on bail, adjourned the matter until March 4 for trial.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Nwite had, on Dec. 31, 2024, fixed today for ruling after Esedo and Martha Babatunde, who appeared for the EFCC, argued their case for and against the bail application.

Esedo, while moving the application, had posed a question whether the defendant was entitled to bail.

ALSO READ:  FUDMA VC alleges staff serving as informants to bandits

The lawyer argued that issues of bail is a matter of discretion which is exercised judicially and judiciously by the court.

He said Akintoye is presumed to be innocent until proven guilty, adding that he had met all the requirements for granting bail.

Esedo assured that if granted bail, the defendant would not jump bail and was ready to stand his trial.

Besides, he said that the anti-graft agency had already concluded its investigation, having held him for 55 days.

Babatunde, who vehemently opposed the bail plea, argued that Sections 158 and 162 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) did not impose on the court to grant bail.

The lawyer, who argued that a bail is not granted as a matter of must, said it is the duty of the applicant to place sufficient evidence before the court.

She argued that the evidence against Akintoye was weighty as it bordered on serious national economic sabotage and financial crime which is currently ravaging the country.

She said if admitted to bail, Akintoye would not attend trial, describing him as a flight risk.

NAN reports that Akintoye, in the four-count charge, was alleged to have diverted a sum of $26,,060, 406.00 US dollars meant to build a refinery in Brass, Bayelsa.

Akintoye, Platform Capital Investment Partners Limited and Duport Midstream Company Limited, where he is also the Managing Director and CEO, were sued as 1st to 3rd defendants respectively, by the anti-graft agency.

The EFCC, in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/641/V/2024 dated and filed on Dec. 19 by its lawyer, Ekele Iheanacho, SAN, alleged that Akintoye and Platform Capital Investment Partners Limited had between December, 2020 and February, 2021, indirectly retained 16 million dollars.

ALSO READ:  Tinubu Orders Probe Of Humanitarian Ministry, Assures To Unravel Truth

The amount, the EFCC said, was part of the funds dishonestly converted from the money paid by the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB) Capacity Development Intervention Company Ltd to Atlantic International Refinery and Petrochemical Limited as investment.

The said sum of $16, 006, 000 is alleged to constitute proceed of unlawful activity.

The offence, EFCC said, is contrary to Section 15 (2) (d) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act, 2011 (as amended) by (Act No. 1 of 20!2) and punishable under Section [5(3) of the same Act, among other counts.(NAN)

Previous Post

You have shamed critic – Okupe hails Mele Kyari at 60

Next Post

Nnamdi Kanu rejects FG’s request for trial resumption, insists on change of judge

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Next Post
Nnamdi Kanu rejects FG’s request for trial resumption, insists on change of judge

Nnamdi Kanu rejects FG’s request for trial resumption, insists on change of judge

Senator Ndume sympathizes with Nigerian Army over terrorist’s attack in Damboa

Senator Ndume sympathizes with Nigerian Army over terrorist’s attack in Damboa

Recommended

Machina: The City That Refuses to Sleep A Homeland Honouring Its Son

Machina: The City That Refuses to Sleep A Homeland Honouring Its Son

6 days ago
Tinubu’s Final Intervention in Rivers’ Political Crisis, Says Wike

Tinubu’s Final Intervention in Rivers’ Political Crisis, Says Wike

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,072)
  • News (9,646)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform