• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Alleged 27 billion Fraud: Court Overrules Ex-taraba Gov Ishaku’s Admissibility Objection

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
June 11, 2025
in News
0
0
SHARES
19
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

A Federal Capital Territory High Court, Maitama, Abuja Division, on Wednesday overruled the objection raised by a former governor Taraba State, Darius Ishaku, on the admissibility of some documents.

Mr Ishaku is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on behalf of the federal government, alongside Bello Yero, former permanent secretary, Bureau for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs in the state.

RelatedPosts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

The defendants were charged with a 15-count charge of criminal breach of trust, conspiracy and conversion of public funds to the tune of N27 billion.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Earlier, Paul Ogbole SAN, counsel for Mr Ishaku, objected to a document (statement) to be tendered by the prosecution through the first prosecution witness (PW1).

Justice Slyvanius Oriji, however, overruled the objection by Mr Ogbole for not meeting the required provisions of the law.

He held that the statement of the PW1 at the EFCC upon his arrest could not contravene the law because he was not the suspect or defendant in this case.

The judge held, “The provisions of Sections 15(4) and 17(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015 were made by the legislature to complement Section 29(1) of the Evidence Act.’’

He asked if the counsel would like to be granted trial-within-trial to ascertain the voluntariness of the statement.

“The objection is overruled and the statement received in evidence,” he stated.

ALSO READ:  Supreme Court Verdict: Eggon Nation Extends Felicitations To Governor Sule

He subsequently adjourned the matter until July 2 for cross-examination of PW1 and continuation of the matter.

At the resumed hearing in the matter on Wednesday, the PW1 Ismail Lawal, former personal assistant to Mr Ishaku, concluded his evidence.

The prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), had wanted to tender the statement of the witness made at the EFCC office.

But Mr Ogbole objected, arguing that the witness (Lawal) made the statement under caution, adding that there was no legal presence, no video recording.

He cited provisions of Sections 17(2) and 15(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA).

Adeola Adedipe (SAN), however, did not object to the admissibility of the document.

Responding, Mr Jacobs referred the court to section 237 of the Evidence Act, which he said rendered admissible under ACJA void.

He said that the statement of the witness was consistent with his testimony.

He added that it must not be a lawyer that should be present at the making of a statement, but anyone of the person’s choice.

He informed the court that in the instant case, the friend of the witness, one Mr Omotosho, was present.

Mr Jacobs, therefore, urged that the court should admit the document in evidence.

Earlier in his evidence led by Mr Jacobs, the witness told the court that based on the instructions of Mr Ishaku, he disbursed money many times to different sources.

He said that he went to the permanent secretary at Jalingo, Chindo Audu, liaison officer in Abuja, Dauda Moses, to pick up money.

ALSO READ:  Breaking News; Collapsed Building Not FHA Property, Management

He added that the money was usually in cash, ranging from ₦20 million to N100 million and sent to different sources in line with the ex-governor’s instructions.

Mr Lawal said that he also collected money from Taiwo Jones and when not around, from John Olumba and one Emmanuel Uwazurike and sometimes he received the money via his account.

 

(NAN)

Tags: fraud
Previous Post

Wike: Tinubu’s Successes Have Crushed Opposition Hopes for 2027

Next Post

Alleged $1billion Fraud: Court to Rule on bail of CBEX Operators Detained by EFCC June 30

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Next Post
Alleged $1billion Fraud: Court to Rule on bail of CBEX Operators Detained by EFCC June 30

Alleged $1billion Fraud: Court to Rule on bail of CBEX Operators Detained by EFCC June 30

Northern Elders alleges marginalization in infrastructure funding

Northern Elders alleges marginalization in infrastructure funding

Recommended

DHQ to Deploy Special Forces ‘Savanah Shield’ Against Terrorism in Kwara and Niger

DHQ to Deploy Special Forces ‘Savanah Shield’ Against Terrorism in Kwara and Niger

6 days ago
Impoundment of commercial motorcycles reducing crime in Abuja – DRTS

Arewa Youths Petition DRTS Over Alleged Faulty Car Sale

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (256)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,644)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform