Business
CBN issues Dec. 1, ultimatum against banks, ATM delays

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Friday advised bank customers to report any difficulties withdrawing cash from bank branches or ATMs to the apex bank from December 1.
CBN Governor, Olayemi Cardoso, said this during the 2024 annual bankers dinner in Lagos organised by the Chattered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN)
He urged customers to make reports through designated phone numbers and email addresses for their respective states.
Cardoso, who was coffered fellowship of the CIBN, said the guidelines would be distributed widely to raise public awareness.
He called for full regulatory compliance by all stakeholders, including Mobile Money Operators and PoS Agents, to promote digital transaction channels and improve service delivery.
“We also recognize the ongoing challenges with cash availability at ATMs, which disproportionately affect ordinary Nigerians.
“To address this, we are conducting spot checks across Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) and will impose penalties on underperforming institutions.
“Effective December 1, 2024, customers are encouraged to report any difficulties withdrawing cash from bank branches or ATMs directly to the CBN through designated phone numbers and email addresses for their respective states.
“I repeat, financial institutions found engaging in malpractices or deliberate sabotage will face stringent penalties,” he said.
According to him, the CBN will continue to maintain a robust cash buffer to meet the country’s needs, particularly during high-demand periods such as the festive season and year-end.
The CBN governor said the focus was to ensure seamless cash flow for Nigerians while fostering trust and stability in the financial system.
He explained the Payment System Vision initiative for 2025 to further enhance confidence in the nation’s payment system.
He assured that payment gateways in settling financial transactions will become better in 2025 as delays will be addressed.
Cardoso said that trust was fundamental to fostering digital transactions, and CBN must take every necessary step to preserve that trust in payment systems.
He said delays often disproportionately affect vulnerable segments of the population, adding that CBN would apply penalties on non-compliant institutions to safeguard consumer trust and ensure swift redress mechanisms.
He said in 2025, CBN would prioritize initiatives including implementing open banking framework, advancing contactless payment systems, and expanding its regulatory sandbox.
“Additionally, we will issue revised guidelines for agency banking and continue to strengthen electronic payment channels”.
He also disclosed that Nigeria would exit the grey list on the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) by Q2 of 2025 while reeling out enforcement plans against money laundering, cybercrime, fraud, corruption, among others.
Prof. Pius Deji Olanrewaju, President/Chairman of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN), said that 2024 had been an eventful year for the banking industry and the economy.
He said various policies and regulations of the apex bank and the federal government had begun to yield fruit.
“For example, the Nigerian economy continues to be more resilient and agile as shown in the steady growth from 2.98 per cent in Q1 to 3.19 per cent in Q2 and now 3.46 per cent in Q3 of 2024.
“Likewise, the Nigerian banking industry has also shown resilience this year despite the macroeconomic pressures such as rising inflation, and exchange rate fluctuations, amongst others.
“The bank recapitalization exercise also attests to the fact that we are well on our way towards not only strengthening the financial sector but also supporting a $1 trillion economy envisaged by 2030,” he said.
Also, Dr Ibrahim Stevens, Governor of the Central Bank in Sierra Leone praised efforts of the CIBN and Nigeria’s apex bank yielding positive fruits in Africa and globally.
He called for collaboration towards building a sound financial eco system. (NAN)
Business
Labour Union Backs Tinubu’s Economic Reforms

By Abubakar Yunusa
The Association of Labour Veteran and Trade Union Assembly has voiced its support for President Bola Tinubu’s economic reforms, claiming that food prices have significantly decreased across the country.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the union’s interim president, Comrade Isa Tijjani, acknowledged the initial economic hardship faced by Nigerians at the beginning of Tinubu’s administration but insisted that government efforts had led to tangible improvements.
“At the start of this administration, the cost of food soared, and the nation was filled with cries of hunger and complaints. People were urged to be patient as the government worked towards solutions,” Tijjani said.
“Now, the President and his aides have worked tirelessly, and prices have come down drastically. However, I have yet to hear words of appreciation for their efforts. Recognising their achievements will encourage them to do even more for the nation.”
Tijjani, a former national vice-president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, urged Nigerians to differentiate between constructive criticism and unwarranted opposition.
He emphasised that engaging with the government in a respectful and solution-oriented manner would yield better results than resorting to hostility.
“The President of this country today is Alhaji Bola Ahmed Tinubu. Advising him in a humble and respectful manner will be more productive than adopting a confrontational stance. Constructive engagement achieves more than threats and name-calling,” he added.
Tijjani also condemned the recent act of violence in Edo State, describing it as a cowardly attempt to incite division and instability in Nigeria.
He welcomed the swift response of both the President and the Governor of Edo State in addressing the situation and called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.
The labour leader further urged union members to participate in the upcoming General Executive Council meeting, where the union’s position on national issues will be formalised and disseminated at all levels of governance, from the state to the local and ward levels.
The Tinubu administration has faced criticism over the country’s economic challenges, including inflation and currency depreciation. However, government officials have maintained that their policies will yield long-term benefits for Nigeria’s economy.
Business
Sterling Bank Stops Transfer Fees On Online Transactions

Sterling Bank has announced the removal of transfer fees on all local online transactions.
The move was confirmed by the bank on Tuesday in a press release.
The development makes it the first major Nigerian bank to eliminate the contentious charges for digital banking.
The statement noted that the bank reaffirmed its commitment to customer-centric banking, declaring that the zero-transfer-fee policy is real and effective immediately.
The initiative is expected to bring significant relief to individuals and small business owners who conduct frequent transactions.
The bank’s Growth Executive in charge of Consumer and Business Banking, Obinna Ukachukwu, described the decision as a values-driven approach aimed at ensuring fair and inclusive banking.
“We believe access to your own money shouldn’t come with a penalty.
“This is more than a financial decision—it’s about redefining banking to put customers first,” he stated.
Under the new policy, Sterling customers will not be charged for local transfers conducted via the bank’s mobile app.
Ukachukwu emphasised that the bank’s decision is about more than just competitive strategy.
He said, “We’re not yet the biggest bank in Nigeria, but we’ve been the boldest.
Sterling fearlessly believes in the future of Nigeria, and this is us backing Nigerians with more than words.
Business
CBN Debunks Introducing N5,000, N10,000 Banknotes

The Central Bank of Nigeria dismissed a report claiming it had introduced N5,000 and N10,000 banknotes to facilitate cash transactions as false.
In a statement posted on its official X handle on Wednesday, the apex bank described the report as fake and urged Nigerians to disregard it.
“The content is not from the Central Bank of Nigeria. Kindly note that the official website of the CBN is cbn.gov.ng,” the statement read.
A statement from the CBN’s communications department further clarified, “The only official sources for releasing statements to the media are our website or statements from our department. There is also no Deputy Governor by such name. We are investigating the source of this fake content.”
The report quoted one Deputy CBN Governor, Ibrahim Tahir Jr., the move is aimed at reducing cash-handling costs and providing Nigerians with more efficient means of conducting large transactions.
“The introduction of these new high-value denominations aligns with global best practices and will enhance economic activities while reducing the stress associated with carrying large amounts of cash,” the Governor stated. The CBN said there is no such name in its leadership.
“The new N5,000 note will feature the portrait of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, while the N10,000 note will showcase Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, both in recognition of their contributions to Nigeria’s development.
“Additionally, the new notes will incorporate enhanced security features, including color-changing ink, holograms, and anti-counterfeiting technology, making them impossible to replicate,” the fake report stated.
The fake report also said the nationwide rollout would begin on May 1, 2025, with commercial banks instructed to start issuing the new notes via ATMs and over-the-counter transactions.