Connect with us

National

Nigeria, UK Convict Over 9,000, Arrest 52, 000 For Illicit Drug Offences

Published

on

The Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig Gen Mohamed Marwa (Rtd) has said that Nigeria and the United Kingdom have convicted over 9000 persons for illicit drug offences in three years.

He stated this when the Head of UK Home Office International Operations, Victoria Pullen led her colleague, Kristoffer Hawksfield on a courtesy visit to the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig Gen Mohamed Marwa (Rtd) to sign a renewed Memorandum of Understanding between HOIO and NDLEA in Abuja on Monday.

According to him, the duo have also arrested over 52, 000 in three years.

“We have made, in three years, over 52,000 arrests. We have made seizures of over 8,000 tons of illicit substances and convictions in excess of 9,000. That’s a very significant success in court. Given the volume of traffic of travellers between the UK and Nigeria, there is a need for sharing of intelligence and actionable data further collaboration in that respect will further strengthen our relationship. So, I’m excited that we’re signing a new MoU here today.”

While speaking earlier, Pullen noted that the UK’s collaboration with Nigeria in the fight against substance abuse and illicit drug trafficking is yielding positive results, as evidenced by the streak of successes being recorded by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) in recent times.

While thanking Marwa for “excellent cooperation”, Pullen said “the issue of drug trafficking is a huge global issue, and like many big challenges such as drug trafficking, it takes a huge global effort to try and counter that. I think it’s evident by some of the recent successes and the volume of some of the illicit commodities that your teams are finding that that cooperation is working exceptionally well currently, and we are currently really enjoying working with your team on those successes.”

ALSO READ:  Even in war commanders go off duty – Okupe defends Tinubu, Shettima’s trip abroad

According to her, “the willingness of your teams to work with us and do things differently and try things differently, which fortunately is leading to those successes, and we like the way that you’ve worked with the UK and the levels of engagement that we’ve enjoyed with the teams.” She said the commissioning of the NDLEA Marine Command Headquarters built and donated by the UK government in Lagos last week was a significant marker in the cooperation between the Agency and HOIO.

“We look forward to seeing the results of that level of investment that will bring significant benefits to you in Nigeria by being able to stop those drugs from permeating your own society, and also in the global space because the more that we help you to interdict and take out of the system here, the less that’s going into countries around the world and into society.

“Our team has got nothing but very, very positive things to say about the relationship that we have with you and your teams, and we very much look forward to the future and building on those and making them a lot better”, she added.

In his response, Marwa expressed appreciation to the UK government for supporting Nigeria’s efforts to curb the scourge of illicit drug trafficking, especially with the building and donation of a Marine Headquarters facility to the agency last week, and a similar operational facility at the MMIA Command in Ikeja Lagos last year.

“I am most delighted to meet Ms Victoria Pullen in person, as it gives me the opportunity to express profound gratitude on behalf of myself, the agency and the country for the tremendous assistance, both tangible and intangible, that we have received from the Home Office International Operations (HOIO), in particular, and the British Government in general.

ALSO READ:  Nigerian senators Contribute December Salaries To support Kaduna Bombing victims

“Just last week, we commissioned the Marine Command Headquarters of NDLEA, built from scratch and donated by the Home Office International Operations. We have also received in the past a new CITF facility at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, also from the Home Office International Operations. These are in addition to others like training and intelligence that are vital to our counter-narcotics operations.

“Since we kicked off the reform of NDLEA three years ago, we have enjoyed an increasing partnership with the Home Office International Operations. Among our international partners the Home Office International Operations is one of our major partners whose contributions immeasurably enhance the capacity of NDLEA and invariably impact our performance positively”, he stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

CDS INTRODUCES ATTACK DRONES AND LOCALLY MADE BOMBS IN ABUJA

Published

on

General Christopher Musa, the Chief of Defence Staff, has assured that all security challenges facing the nation will be effectively addressed by the year’s end.

This statement was made during the launch of attack drones and the demonstration of locally produced bombs, developed by a homegrown technology firm.

The event was attended by security specialists and senior government officials, as General Musa showcased the indigenous Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) to the audience.

Accompanied by Ajao Adewale, the Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, and Caleb Mutfwang, the Governor of Plateau State, General Musa emphasized the ongoing bureaucratic obstacles in acquiring military equipment from abroad.

Governor Mutfwang stressed the urgency for decisive measures against insecurity, calling on leaders to prevent any entity within the nation from possessing military capabilities.

The operational features of the UAVs were also demonstrated, with General Musa expressing satisfaction with this advancement, labeling it a pivotal step in combating insecurity in the country.

ALSO READ:  KAMRUM FARMS TO PARTNER WITH NUHU BAMALLI POLYTECHNIC’S SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURE FOR AGRICULTURAL ADVANCEMENT
Continue Reading

National

JUST IN: Supreme Court sets aside judgment recognising Abure as LP’s National Chairman

Published

on

The Supreme Court has set aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal in Abuja recognising Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP).

In a unanimous judgment on Friday, a five-member panel of the apex court held that the Court of Appeal lacked the jurisdiction to have pronounced Abure National Chairman of the LP having earlier found that the substance of the case was about the party’s leadership.

It held that issue of leadership was internal affair of a party over which courts lacked jurisdiction.

The court allowed the appeal filed by Senator Ester Nenadi Usman and one other and held that it was meritorious.

It proceeded to dismiss the cross-appeal filed by the Abure faction of the LP got being unmeritorious.

Details shortly…

ALSO READ:  5 injured in farmers-herders’ clash in Jigawa – Police
Continue Reading

National

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed resigns as presidential political adviser

Published

on

Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, special adviser on political matters to Vice-President Kashim Shettima, has resigned from his position, According to Daily Trust.

The newspaper quoted sources as saying that the former spokesperson of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) resigned two weeks ago.

President Bola Tinubu appointed Baba-Ahmed as special adviser on political matters to Shettima in September 2023.

Baba-Ahmed is the elder sibling of Datti Baba-Ahmed, vice-presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 election.

Baba-Ahmed served as chief of staff to Bukola Saraki, former senate president, from 2017-2019.

CONFRONTATION WITH MATAWALLE OVER NEF

In April 2024, Bello Matawalle, minister of state for defence, described the NEF as a “political paperweight” after the group stated that the north made a mistake voting Tinubu in 2023.

In his reaction to Matawalle’s remarks, Baba-Ahmed said it would have served the Tinubu administration better if Matawalle had listed his achievements as minister — and the achievements of the other northern appointees — instead of attacking NEF.

“Scathing criticism of NEF by a junior minister of defence, Matawalle, is ill-advised. He could have done a better job for this admin if he identified contributions of especially northern ministers and other appointees like me to improving security and reducing poverty in the North,” Baba-Ahmed said.

In a riposte, the minister said any appointee must defend and promote the administration they work for.

“Dr. Baba-Ahmed’s relationship and affinity with Northern Elders’ Forum (NEF) is well-known,” Matawalle said.

“The fact now is that he is an appointee of the administration as Special Adviser and it is incumbent on him to work for the success of the government he is part of, protect and defend the government against unjust and vicious attacks from those who hide under ethnic and other primordial interests to heat up the polity for myopic reasons.

ALSO READ:  Group Praises Matawalle for Capturing Notorious Terrorist Leader, Habu Dogo Alive

“It is pertinent to state that every appointee of President Tinubu including Dr. Baba-Ahmed owes the government a copious duty to promote, elucidate and advance the good works and commendable efforts of the government across all sectors.”

He added that northern appointees must defend the government or take their exit.

Matawalle is a native of Zamfara while Baba-Ahmed hails from Kaduna.

Continue Reading