Connect with us

News

Customs officers wives, group warn students against drug abuse

Published

on

The Customs Officers Wives Association (COWA) and Bridge and Bond Development Initiative (BBDI) on Tuesday urged students to shun drug abuse and stay focused to fulfil their future dreams.

They made the call during a campaign to celebrate the 2024 International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking at Government Junior Secondary Schools Garki, Area 11 and Karu, Abuja respectively.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the theme for the celebration was: “The Evidence is Clear: Invest in Prevention and Treatment.”

NAN also reports that the topic for the campaign was: “Dangers of Drug Abuse in a Child’s Life.”

The event  was organised by BBDI and sponsored by COWA.

Speaking at the event, the President of COWA, Mrs Kikelomo Adeniyi, admonished the students not to engage in any venture that would make them go down the slop of life or lose their integrity.

“This is because,  you are bigger and better than who you think you are.  We want you to shun drug abuse. Be friends with people that will bring out the best in you.

“Always do the right thing.  Don’t succumb to peer pressure; when you notice something going wrong speak out; speak to somebody, your parents, teachers, principal.

“Don’t do anything that will destroy your life. You are the future of this country. Don’t let drug destroy you. Seek support so that you can achieve your potential in life.

“Invest in yourself by doing the things that would guide and lead you to your future dreams. Engage in sports and other activities that will help your mental ability and make you stay off drugs.

ALSO READ:  Bauchi community seeks stiff punishment for loggers

“Also,  get a mentor that would always hold your hands and help you to achieve your future goals and dreams. Nevertheless, don’t give up on your dreams, stay focus. You are the great future of Nigeria,” Adeniyi said.

Adeniyi also called on parents to join in the campaign to curb the menace of drug abuse in the society.

Officials of COWA, BBDI at the high table during the event.

Also speaking, the National Coordinator  of BBDI, Mr Festus Onifade, said the  initiative had been on the  campaign to address drug abuse since  2018.

“This year, we have found a worthy partner in COWA to carry this message far. They are wives and mothers and have decided to sponsor the  event.

“We must rid our society of drug abuse. And you know, drug use and abuse is closely treated to crime. We want  to solve the issue of crime and criminality. We have to go to the roops to stop the  spread of drug abuse,” Onifade said.

One of the resource persons, Mrs Tega Amogu, in her presentation, explained to the students that drug would give them fake dreams that would destroy their future.

“Don’t be deceived, drugs will never bring out the creativity in you. The creativity is already in you. Taking drugs to be creative will only lead to addiction and disaster.

“Drug will make you forget about your real dream in life,” she said.

Amogu, a survivor of drug abuse, narrated her life journey through the abuse of drugs and other substances.

She praised God for helping her to overcome the challenge of drug abuse.

ALSO READ:  Edo election: Benin traders open for night market after poll
Cross section of the students while listening to lectures on drug abuse.
Another resource person, Mr Prosper  Chukwudi, a television and radio host, urged the students to focus on their dreams.

Chukwudi also cautioned the students against bad friends, peer pressure and internet fraudsters.

NAN reports that those in attendance include officials of COWA Principals and teachers from the schools and other relevant stakeholders. (NA

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Explosions Rock Kyiv as City Endures Missile Assault

Published

on

Early Sunday, a missile barrage targeted the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, injuring at least three individuals and igniting multiple fires, according to the city’s mayor. This attack occurred just two days after a Russian strike in President Volodymyr Zelensky’s hometown resulted in the deaths of 18 people.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported that emergency services were dispatched to two districts within Kyiv, while the Ukrainian air force confirmed that missiles had penetrated the northern Chernihiv region.

“Explosions have been reported in the capital, and air defense systems are currently engaged,” Klitschko stated on Telegram. He urged residents to seek shelter, warning, “The missile assault on Kyiv persists.”

So far, three injuries have been recorded, with fires erupting in non-residential structures and damage inflicted on eight vehicles.

This onslaught coincides with U.S. President Donald Trump advocating for a partial ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine, over three years into Moscow’s extensive invasion, while also seeking to mend relations with the Kremlin.

Poland’s military announced that it, along with allied forces, had taken to the skies in response to Russian strikes near the western Ukrainian border, with ground-based air defense systems on high alert.

“Due to the heightened activity of long-range Russian aviation targeting locations within western Ukraine, Polish and allied aircraft operations in our airspace have commenced,” stated its operational command on X. “These measures are intended to ensure security in regions bordering the threatened zones.”

On Sunday, Russia’s defense ministry claimed that its air defense units had intercepted and destroyed 11 Ukrainian drones.

**Zelensky Critiques U.S. Response**

ALSO READ:  I was 25% deaf without knowing it – Obasanjo

On Saturday, President Zelensky criticized the U.S. embassy for what he termed a “weak” statement that failed to hold Russia accountable for the recent deadly missile strike on his hometown of Kryvyi Rig.

The missile impacted a residential area near a children’s playground in central Ukraine, resulting in the tragic deaths of nine children, aged between three and 17. In a heartfelt social media post, Zelensky called out the U.S. embassy for its reluctance to name Russia as the aggressor.

“Regrettably, the American embassy’s response is surprisingly disappointing: such a powerful nation, yet such a feeble reaction,” Zelensky remarked. “They hesitate to even mention ‘Russian’ when discussing the missile that claimed the lives of children.”

Zelensky’s remarks followed a post by U.S. Ambassador Bridget Brink on X, expressing horror over the missile strike near a playground and restaurant. In his evening address, Zelensky emphasized, “It is both incorrect and perilous to remain silent about the fact that it is Russia perpetrating these crimes against children with ballistic missiles. This only emboldens the perpetrators in Moscow to continue their aggression and disregard diplomatic solutions.”

The president, who hails from Kryvyi Rig, where the pre-war population was approximately 600,000, conveyed his condolences and called for a three-day mourning period on April 7, 8, and 9.

“This is nothing short of a mass murder of civilians,” stated Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the Kryvyi Rig military administration.

Images shared by rescue services depicted several victims, with one body found near a playground swing. In response, Russia’s defense ministry claimed it executed a “precision strike” against a meeting of military commanders and Western instructors in the area. The Ukrainian army’s General Staff countered that Moscow was attempting to obscure its heinous actions and disseminating false information, labeling Russia’s actions as “war crimes.”

ALSO READ:  Bauchi community seeks stiff punishment for loggers

While Trump continues to encourage both sides to pursue a ceasefire, his administration has struggled to mediate a mutually acceptable agreement. Zelensky remarked that the missile attack underscored Russia’s lack of interest in halting its full-scale invasion.

The Ukrainian president reported “significant progress” following discussions with British and French military leaders in Kyiv on Friday. They explored plans for a “reassurance” force from London and Paris to be deployed to Ukraine if a resolution to the conflict is achieved.

Zelensky shared on social media that the meeting with British Chief of the Defence Staff Tony Radakin and French counterpart Thierry Burkhard yielded “the initial details on how the security contingent of partners can be deployed.” This initiative represents one of the latest efforts by European leaders to coordinate a response after Trump initiated direct negotiations with the Kremlin, sidelining them.

Continue Reading

News

Dan’agundi Grieves Over Alhaji Abbas Bayero Denise

Published

on

Hon Dr. Baffa Babba Dan’agundi the Director General of National Productivity Centre , NPC, has extended his heartfelt condolences to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State, Abdullahi Abbas Sanusi and the resilient citizens of Kano State following the death of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero (The revered Galadima of Kano).

In a statement released, Dr. Dan’Agundi expressed his profound sorrow, stating that,

“The passing of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero is a significant loss not only to his family and the Kano Emirate but to the entirety of our beloved Kano State.

His contributions to our society, his commitment to the welfare of the people, and his remarkable leadership will always be remembered.”

Dr. Dan’Agundi acknowledged the pivotal role Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero played in promoting peace, unity, and development within the community, emphasizing that his legacy will continue to inspire future generations.

Commiserating with the family, he said,

“At this time of mourning, my thoughts and prayers are with the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero; Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas; and all the people of Kano State. May the Almighty grant them the strength to bear this great loss and grant eternal peace to the soul of our beloved Galadima.”

As the state remembers Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero’s invaluable service and dedication, Hon Dr. Dan’Agundi urges all citizens to unite in honouring his memory and continue his vision for a prosperous and harmonious Kano State.

, DG , National Productivity Centre Commiserates with Kano Emirate , People of Kano State .

ALSO READ:  Edo election: Benin traders open for night market after poll

Hon Dr. Baffa Babba Dan’agundi the Director General of National Productivity Centre , NPC, has extended his heartfelt condolences to the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano State, Abdullahi Abbas Sanusi and the resilient citizens of Kano State following the death of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero (The revered Galadima of Kano).

In a statement released, Dr. Dan’Agundi expressed his profound sorrow, stating that,

“The passing of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero is a significant loss not only to his family and the Kano Emirate but to the entirety of our beloved Kano State.

His contributions to our society, his commitment to the welfare of the people, and his remarkable leadership will always be remembered.”

Dr. Dan’Agundi acknowledged the pivotal role Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero played in promoting peace, unity, and development within the community, emphasizing that his legacy will continue to inspire future generations.

Commiserating with the family, he said,

“At this time of mourning, my thoughts and prayers are with the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero; Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas; and all the people of Kano State. May the Almighty grant them the strength to bear this great loss and grant eternal peace to the soul of our beloved Galadima.”

As the state remembers Alhaji Abbas Sanusi Bayero’s invaluable service and dedication, Hon Dr. Dan’Agundi urges all citizens to unite in honouring his memory and continue his vision for a prosperous and harmonious Kano State.

Continue Reading

News

Akwa-Ibom: Eno empowers 500 petty traders with N50m grant

Published

on

Akwa-Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, on Saturday, provided N50 million grant for 500 petty traders in Eket in the effort to assist them make a difference in their businesses.

Eno, at inaugurated a 5000-capacity Conference Hall in Eket Local Government Area of the state, explained that the beneficiaries were petty traders under the Eket ARISE Empowerment Initiative.

The governor, who was represented by Mr Frank Archibong, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, further explained that each of the 500 petty traders would receive the sum of N100,000.
According to him, the money will make a lot of difference for the petty traders in the area.

“This is Arise Agenda at work in the local government; this government is desirous of seeing more of this project in the landscape of every local government areas in Akwa Ibom.

‘’The project reflects collective vision for progress and determination to complement the transformative ARISE AGENDA, championed by the administration,’’ he said.

Eno urged the council to ensure that monitoring mechanism was put in place to monitor how successful the beneficiaries were able put the grant to use.

He, however, commended the council for achieving the conference hall project, describing it as landmark since it would serve as a place for meetings.

Also speaking, Mr Akaniyene Tommey, the Eket Local Government Chairman, said that the event was not merely infrastructure and economic empowerment celebration but a tangible evidence of unwavering commitment to people’s growth and prosperity.

Tommey said that the ARISE AGENDA of Gov. Eno led-administration was a well-crafted roadmap designed to uplift the socio-economic standards of Akwa Ibom.

ALSO READ:  I was 25% deaf without knowing it – Obasanjo

He said the facility was designed to serve as a premier hub for major events, conferences, and social gatherings.

“It will be a key driver of our Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) and will also create numerous employment opportunities in the area,” Tommey said.

The Chairman explained that the N50 million grant to 500 entrepreneurs was a clear demonstration of the resolve to support Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) which are the backbone of the economy.

He said the proposed Ultramodern Eket legislative complex would mark another stride in infrastructural development journey when completed.

One of the beneficiaries, Mrs Deborah Willie, commended the Chairman for finding her worthy to benefit from the empowerment grants.

She promised to use the money judiciously in order to grow her petty trading business in the area.

The highlight of the event was the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Ultramodern Eket legislative complex. (NAN)

Continue Reading