Connect with us

Politics

No Hiding Place, Whether London, Jupiter, Mars, Nigerians React As Buhari Plan To Settle In Niger

Published

on

Nigerians have reacted to a comment by President Muhammadu Buhari that he may likely relocate to the Niger Republic if he is disturbed in his home town Daura, Katsina State.

Buhari is due to handover power to Bola Ahmed Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on May 29, 2023 after ruling Nigeria for a two term of eight years as civilian leader.

Buhari has previously ruled Nigeria as military head of state in 1984.

Buhari settled in Kaduna State after his military service, enjoying his retirement before joining politics where he contested for the presidential election four times before his eventual winning in 2015.

While in Kaduna, Buhari contested the election under the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) in 2003 and 2007, and on the platform of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in 2011 and all lost.

In December 2014, Buhari emerged as the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) after four political parties merged to create a platform for him to win the election in the 2015 general election.

The platforms that form the APC are: Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), and the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) and a faction of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA).

During his acceptance speech, Buhari, at the International Conference Centre (ICC) said: “I belong to nobody, I belong to everyone,” an assertion people kept faith with until he spent six months as president without a cabinet.

Buhari’s inability to appoint ministers within six months, made several investors move out of Nigeria because, according to some pundits, there was no economic policy direction.

ALSO READ:  Fubara, Others Receive Certificates of Return In Rivers

Recession ensued, insecurity plummete with several communities displaced by terrorists while thousands of Nigerians kidnapped with ransom paid in billions.

During Buhari’s eight years, poverty level rose to its peak in the most populous nation on earth with a ranking of being the poverty capital of the world.

Security, economic, social and political standards set by previous leaders were jettisoned by the Buhari’s administration for favoritism while the fight against corruption he promised went into a state of a shambles.

Amidst these, President Muhammadu Buhari purchased vehicles worth over N1.5 to Niger Republic, a story that was confirmed by Nigeria’s Minister of finance, Zainab Ahmed.

Niger Republic is a country Buhari is now projecting to stay after leaving office.

The plans by the Nigerian Government to build a rail line to Maradi in Niger Republic and the alleged payment of Niger Republic civil servants by the Buhari’s administration had earlier raised controversies.

But pundits say with his plans to retire to Niger Republic if he does not feel safe in Nigeria revealed why Nigeria is spending so much on that country by his administration.

Buhari had said that if Nigerians disturb him in Daura, he will leave for Niger Republic.

From Daura in Katsina State of Nigeria to Maradi in Niger Republic is 2 hours 57 minutes drive, about 179km.

The distance between Daura in Katsina State and Abuja, Nigeria’s Federal Capital Territory (FCT) is around 451km, about 8 hours 17 minutes drive.

But some Nigerians have taken to their Twitter handles, insisting that wherever Buhari moves to, there won’t be tranquility for him.

ALSO READ:  I'll Contest Again, Peter Obi Tells Nigerian

In reaction to Buhari’s planned settlement in Niger Republic, one of Buhari’s kingsmen, Mahdi Shehu, @shehu_mahdi tweeted: “NO HIDING PLACE: Wether at Abuja, Daura, Kaduna, Niger, London, Mars, Jupiter, etc, you won’t have that tranquility you desperately wish for. Not after your disastrous outing, your insensitive policies. Not after you destroyed businesses, institutions & relationships.”

Shehu Mahdi fires at President Muhammadu Buhari

@shehu_mahdi tweet generated a lot of reactions.

Nigerians react as Buhari plans settlement in Niger Republic

Also, the presidential candidate of African Action Congress (AAC) in the 2023 elections, Omoyele Sowore said there won’t be a hiding place for the Nigerian leader, Buhari.

Sowore, who faced alot of legal battles with the Buhari’s administration, in his Twitter handle, @YeleSowore, tweeted: “President @Mbuhari, sorry, there will be no hiding place for the wicked. You must pay for your crimes against humanity. Till the end of time, your atrocities will fish you out. It doesn’t matter how long it takes, it won’t matter where you hide, you will answer for your crimes.”

Sowore says Buhari will be disturb anywhere he go

Sowore’s tweet also generated a lot of comments and reactions.

Sowore says Buhari will be disturb anywhere he go
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ighodalo vows to Appeal tribunal verdict upholding Okpebholo’s election victory

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, Mr Asue Ighodalo, has said he will challenge the tribunal’s judgment at the Court of Appeal.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Gov. Monday Okpebholo’s victory and dismissed the petitions from the PDP and Ighodalo.

Ighodalo, in a statement in Benin, said his decision to challenge the judgment aimed to protect Edo people’s collective rights and ensure they freely determine their future.

“Today, the Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on our petition challenging the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 election in our dear state.

“While we may not all agree with the verdict, we remain steadfast in our belief that the rule of law must continue as democracy’s foundational bedrock.

“Our pursuit of justice affirms our firm belief that Edo people’s right to freely choose their leaders through credible, free, and fair elections must always prevail.

“As a committed democrat, I respect the judiciary as the last hope of the common man and urge all Edo people to remain peaceful, calm, and law-abiding,” he stated.

Ighodalo said this was not the end of their journey but the beginning of a greater struggle for justice, democracy, and the sanctity of the people’s mandate.

He commended the people for their massive support, sincere love, and belief in their shared vision for a prosperous Edo, which had fuelled their journey.

“For us, this has never been about personal ambition but about our conviction to create a clear ‘Pathway to Prosperity’ for Edo while upholding democracy’s core values.

ALSO READ:  Fubara, Others Receive Certificates of Return In Rivers

“I have, therefore, instructed my legal team to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge this decision, which we consider a serious miscarriage of justice.

“This is not about me or any single individual; it is about democracy’s essence, our collective right to determine our future, and our legacy for generations unborn.

“We remain resolute. We remain committed. We shall not waver in our pursuit of truth and justice,” Ighodalo said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Reactions trail Edo tribunal judgement

Published

on

Mixed reactions have continued to trail the tribunal’s judgment affirming the election of Gov. Monday Okpebholo as the winner of the Sept. 19 governorship election in Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Okpebholo’s victory.

It dismissed the petitions filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo.

Reacting to the judgment, the Edo chapter of the PDP expressed disappointment with the ruling delivered by the three-man election petition tribunal, led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi.

Chris Nehikhare, the State Publicity Secretary of the PDP Caretaker Committee, said the party was waiting to receive the Certified True Copy of the judgment before making further decisions.

“PDP is disappointed with the judgment of the Justice Wilfred Kpochi-led panel.

“As a party, we are waiting for the Certified True Copy. We will study it and decide on our next course of action,” Nehikhare said.

Mr Aslem Ojezua, a former PDP chieftain who defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC), said he was unsurprised by the tribunal’s decision, as the petition lacked merit.

“What I expect now is for Ighodalo to congratulate Okpebholo and join hands in solving the problems confronting our people and communities,” Ojezua said.

He added that the verdict was clear, highlighting the distinction between legal and sensational issues.

Chief Dan Orbih, PDP National Vice Chairman (South-South), said the tribunal had spoken, and they could not question its ruling.

Orbih stated that PDP would now focus on bringing back members who left during the primary election that produced Asue Ighodalo as the party’s candidate.

ALSO READ:  Senate wants investigation into death of 30 miners in Niger

He emphasised that efforts would commence to rebuild the party in Edo State following the election setback.

Orbih blamed the PDP’s struggles on former Gov. Godwin Obaseki, accusing him of driving members away from the party.

“Unfortunately, the former governor brought distress, division, and disaster to the PDP.

“Today, I did not see his face among those at the tribunal, waiting for the judgment outcome.

“As it stands, lawyers will study the verdict and make a decision after a careful review of the well-established ruling,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal Confirms Monday Okpebholo as Governor

Published

on

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has officially recognized Monday Okpebholo as the legitimate governor of Edo State.

In a series of three judgments, the tribunal rejected petitions submitted by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Action Alliance, and Accord Party.

The tribunal determined that the PDP did not present any witnesses to substantiate its claims of overvoting.

Specifically, the PDP failed to bring forth polling unit agents from the locations where they alleged electoral discrepancies occurred.

Furthermore, the tribunal noted that among the 19 witnesses presented by the petitioners, 14 were ward and local government agents, while the primary witness, who claimed to be a director of strategy for the PDP, had no involvement in the election’s execution.

Additionally, the tribunal remarked that the BVAS evidence submitted by the petitioners was inadequately presented.

ALSO READ:  National Assembly Service Commission approves Andrew Nwoba as Clerk of Senate
Continue Reading