Connect with us

News

Yobe govt distributes inputs, goats to 1,590 farmers

Published

on

The Yobe government has distributed 27,569 goats and inputs to 1,590 farmers under its Agricultural Empowerment Programme.

Alhaji Mamman Mohammed, the media aide to Gov. Mai Mala Buni, stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Damaturu on Wednesday.

NAN reports that the programme, which was inaugurated by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, a fortnight ago, is the brainchild of the Buni’s administration.

Muhammed said that 1,060 of the farmers received fertiliser, seeds, agro-chemicals, sprayers, water pumps and mini farm equipment, including hand ploughs, powered tillers and multi-purpose threshers.

While 530 female beneficiaries received three goats each for breeding.

He said the items had been distributed free to the farmers in 53 wards across Yunusari, Geidam, Bursari, Tarmuwa and Gulani Local Government Areas.

According to Mohammed, the programme is designed to enhance agriculture productivity, ensure food security and stimulate economic growth.

The programme,  he said, targeted 5,300 farmers in 178 wards across the 17 local government areas of the state.

While urging farmers to ensure effective utilisation of the facilities, Mohammed warned agaisnt diversion of the inputs.

A beneficiary, Babagana Ali from Yunusari, said the support would assist him to grow his food and expand his farmland for increased productivity.

Musa Aliyu, a resident of Geidam, said the equipment would enable him to practise both irrigation and rain fed farming.

Hajj Fanna Modu, another beneficiary in Bursari, lauded the gesture, adding it go a long way to improve her social and economic wellbeing. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Sen. Katung Appoints Special Advisers On Islamic, Christian Matters

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  Rep. Rabiu-Kamba distributes 600 bags of fertilisers free to constituents

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar earthquake: Rescue efforts ongoing amidst increasing fatalities

Published

on

The death toll from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,085, with 4,715 people injured and 341 reported missing.

This is according to the Information Team of the State Administration Council on Thursday.

Chinese rescuers are continuing search and rescue operations in hard-hit Mandalay, central Myanmar, following the deadly earthquake last week, and have so far rescued nine survivors from the rubble.

On Thursday afternoon, the second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived in Myanmar.

The second batch of aid supplies include 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies.

The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31. (Xinhua/NAN)

ALSO READ:  God Is Source Of My Promotion -Fubara
Continue Reading

News

China threatens retaliation in response to new US tariffs

Published

on

Beijing on Thursday threatened countermeasures after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods, further escalating trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

The U.S. has already imposed 20 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports, prompting retaliation from Beijing.

The latest round, which Trump had announced on Wednesday, adds a 34 per cent tariff hike, raising total duties on many Chinese products to over 50 per cent.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said that the tariffs violated international trade rules and were based on subjective and unilateral assessments by the U.S., calling them a typical act of bullying.

The ministry urged Washington to remove the measures and resolve disputes through dialogue, or it would take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests.

Trump on Wednesday announced new blanket tariffs of 10 per cent on most U.S. imports, with higher penalties based on trade deficits. (dpa/NAN)

ALSO READ:  ANPCF Begs Betara, Others To Honour Party Decision
Continue Reading