• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home National

UN chief urges U.S., UK, others to reverse UNRWA funding suspension

Ojimaojo Abubakar by Ojimaojo Abubakar
February 9, 2025
in National, News
0
UN chief urges U.S., UK, others to reverse UNRWA funding suspension
0
SHARES
9
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, has appealed to the countries that suspended funding to the UN agency assisting Palestine refugees (UNRWA) to reconsider their decisions, to ensure the continuity of its vital humanitarian operations.

No fewer than nine countries have temporarily suspended their funding to UNRWA due to allegations that 12 employees were involved in the Hamas massacre in Israel.

The countries include U.S, UK, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

RelatedPosts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Guterres, in a statement, said that the organisation is promptly responding to the extremely serious allegations that several UNRWA personnel were involved in the Oct. 7 terror attacks in southern Israel.

“An investigation by the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS), the highest investigative body in the UN system, was immediately activated.

“Any UN employee involved in acts of terror will be held accountable, including through criminal prosecution.

“The Secretariat is ready to cooperate with a competent authority able to prosecute the individuals in line with the Secretariat’s normal procedures for such cooperation,” Guterres said.

UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini had previously announced on January 17 a full, independent review of the agency.

Out of the 12 individuals implicated, nine were immediately identified and terminated by the UNRWA head. One is confirmed dead, and the identities of the remaining two are being clarified.

Over two million civilians in the Gaza Strip depend on lifesaving aid provided by UNRWA.

The Agency operates shelters for over one million people and has been providing food and healthcare since the start of the conflict.

ALSO READ:  Borno To Control Influx Of Unaccompanied Children In Maiduguri

However, its current funding is insufficient to meet all requirements to support them in February.

Acknowledging the concerns of the countries that halted funds and expressing horror at the accusations, Guterres appealed to the governments that suspended contributions to, at least, guarantee the continuity of UNRWA’s operations.

“The abhorrent alleged acts of these staff members must have consequences.

“But, the tens of thousands of men and women who work for UNRWA, many in some of the most dangerous situations for humanitarian workers, should not be penalised,” he said.

“The dire needs of the desperate populations they serve must be met.” (NAN)

Tags: UNUS
Previous Post

Ogun House of Assembly inaugurates committee to investigate impeached Speaker

Next Post

AI Solution Can Reshape Nigeria’s Economy, Healthcare Sector – Biodun

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Abubakar Ojimaojo is a graduate of Mass Communication, political and football analyst currently work at elanzanews.ng as Editor. He pride himself as skilled wordsmith with a passion for delving into contemporary political issues on both national and international scale.

Related Posts

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

Ramadan Begins Wednesday as Saudi Arabia Sights Crescent Moon

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  The Supreme Court announced on Tuesday evening that the crescent moon marking the beginning of Ramadan has been sighted...

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Next Post
AI Solution Can  Reshape Nigeria’s Economy, Healthcare Sector –  Biodun

AI Solution Can Reshape Nigeria’s Economy, Healthcare Sector - Biodun

ECOWAS Crisis:  Mali, Niger,  Burkina Faso Withdrawal A  Disgrace Of Leadership Under Tinubu – Frank

ECOWAS Crisis: Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso Withdrawal A Disgrace Of Leadership Under Tinubu - Frank

Recommended

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

5 days ago
Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,646)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform