• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home National

Tinubu Orders NAHCON to Slash 2026 Hajj Fares Day After ELANZA NEWS’ Report

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
October 7, 2025
in National
0
Tinubu Orders NAHCON to Slash 2026 Hajj Fares Day After ELANZA NEWS’ Report

Tinubu Orders NAHCON to Slash 2026 Hajj Fares Day After ELANZA NEWS’ Report

0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

President Bola Tinubu has instructed the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) to immediately reduce the recently announced costs of the 2026 Hajj fares.

The Deputy Chief of Staff to the President, Sen. Ibrahim Hadeija, announced this during a briefing with State House Correspondents after a meeting with NAHCON officials at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

RelatedPosts

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

Ben Bruce, Jack-Rich Tein,three senators among 47 aspirants not cleared by APC

BREAKING: FG Opens Case Against Justice Crack

This comes less than 24 hours after ELANZA NEWSELANZA NEWS published an exclusive report suggesting that the Hajj fare could have been as low as N6.7 million. The newspaper reports that the 2026 Hajj fare can be reduced by at least N1,384,732 through the following: Makkah houses discount (N298,400), service charge reversal to pre-2022 template (N161,505), air ticket reduction (N373,000), exchange rate differential (N552,827), among others.

The report also debunked NAHCON’s claim that it had secured a N19 billion reduction —N200,000 for each intending pilgrim — after intensive negotiations with Saudi service providers.

The commission had last week announced the 2026 Hajj fares as follows: Maiduguri /Yola Zone – N8,318,336.67, Northern states – N8,244,813.67, and Southern states – N8,561,013.67.

However, Senator Hadeija explained that Tinubu felt the commission needed to explore the possibility of reducing the Hajj fare.

He said, “This meeting was essentially called at the instance of His Excellency, the Vice President, to look at the possibility of reducing the Hajj fare for the 2026 pilgrimage.

ALSO READ:  FHA Boss Use Dozen Armed Policemen to Demolish Abuja Property, Allegedly Attack Lady-owner, Drag Her on the Ground

“As you know, the hajj fare component is about 95 and 96 per cent foreign exchange-based.

‘The fares announced by the NAHCON were based on a very pessimistic exchange rate of N1,550.

“And the rates have continued to improve steadily with the naira appreciating based on the effects of the economic reforms of the government taken place.”

Mr Hadeija stated that the vice president believed that, since pilgrims paid between N8.5 and N8.6 million last year based on a negative exchange rate, now that the exchange rate had improved, the benefits should be passed on to them.

He added, “Then we should also pass the benefits to them, and all the officers of the Hajj commission are here, and they have been told to immediately go and look at more realistic exchange rates.

“If they apply that we should be able to bring the hajj fare to N7.6 to N7.7 million.

“The final figure will be announced in the next two days.

“But this is also dependent on very quick remittance of the funds from the State Muslim Pilgrim Welfare Boards.

“The faster the pilgrims pay their hajj fares and they are remitted to the hajj commission, the faster they can pass it to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to buy the dollars for them.

“So, if we achieve that, we foresee a situation where pilgrims this year will have a very significant reduction in the Hajj rate.”

On his part, the Chairman of Kebbi Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Faruk Yaro, expressed gratitude to Tinubu and Shettima for their timely intervention.

ALSO READ:  Petrol hike will further deepen poverty, job losses – NLC

He said, “We are very happy because the president and the vice-president have already intervened.

“We thank God for what they have done, which is expected to bring down the cost of Hajj fares.”

Pakistan dares EFCC, defies Shettima’s order

It was observed that the NAHCON Chairman, Professor Abdullahi Saleh Pakistan, was notably absent from the meeting. Security sources said Mr Pakistan was present at the Presidential Villa during the meeting, but upon seeing him, Mr Shettima directed him to proceed to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to respond to their invitation.

PIX 1: INSERT PIX OF VP SHETTIMA’S MEETING WITH NAHCON

The anti-corruption agency is investigating NAHCON over alleged fraud involving billions of naira, and it has detained and questioned top officers of the commission to date.

This newspaper gathered that Mr Pakistan was billed to appear before the anti-graft agency on Wednesday, September 17, 2025. But he sought an extension to travel to Saudi Arabia and it was rescheduled to October 2, 2025. But he didn’t go on that day after his return from Saudi Arabia.

Even when he was directed to proceed to the EFCC, Mr Pakistan reliably refused to go, instead he attended an International Forum of Saudi Graduates event held in Abuja today — in open defiance to the VP and the EFCC.

PIX 2: INSERT PIX OF MR PAKISTAN AT SAUDI GRADUATES EVENT

Days earlier, Mr Pakistan has granted an interview to an Islamic online blog, where he was seen calling the bluff of the EFCC, saying to the effect that he was not afraid of the anti-graft agency because even if he’s investigated they cannot prove the allegations against him.

ALSO READ:  How Suicide Bomber Attempted To Sneak Into Army Barracks In Abuja — NEMA

Some of the NAHCON issues under investigation include the alleged squandering of N25 billion on Masha’ir extra space, N1.6 billion on NAHCON staff spouses, and the N8 billion on Makkah contingency bed spaces.

Others include the alleged extra-budgetary spending of over 300 per cent of his approved budget; N25 billion expended on officials, staff, and board members; N1.4 billion as allowances of committees; and the mismanagement of Madinah bed spaces from 11,000 to 18,000 for 41,000 pilgrims.

On September 16, 2025, the NAHCONNAHCON Secretary, Dr Mustapha Muhammad Ali, was grilled by the EFCC throughout that day and later released on bail over the same allegations.

Earlier, the anti-graft commission had grilled and detained permanent other top officials that included Commissioner of Policy, Personnel and Finance (PPMF), Aliu Abdulrazak; and Commissioner of Planning, Research, Statistics, Information and Library Services (PRSILS), Professor Abubakar A. Yagawal; directors, deputy and assistant directors, special advisers to the chairman, among others.

Stakeholders who spoke to this newspaper have commended President Tinubu and VP Shettima for their timely intervention in directing NAHCON to reduce the Hajj fares.

They also lauded ELANZA NEWS for its investigative reports that drew the Presidency’s attention to the need to slash the Hajj fares.

 

Tags: Hajj Fares
Previous Post

FG, Enugu Partner To Reduce Maternal, Neonatal Deaths

Next Post

Anyaele Debunks Claims: “Tinubu Did Not Rehabilitate Me After Sierra Leone Attack”

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

Hamzat picks Gbeleyi as running mate for Lagos 2027

by Elanza
May 18, 2026
0

The Allied Forces for Lagos Growth has welcomed the emergence of Mr Ayo Gbeleyi as the running mate to the...

Ben Bruce, Jack-Rich Tein,three senators among 47 aspirants not cleared by APC

Ben Bruce, Jack-Rich Tein,three senators among 47 aspirants not cleared by APC

by Elanza
May 18, 2026
0

By Ojima-ojo Abubakar The All Progressives Congress (APC) has barred 47 senatorial aspirants from participating in its senate primary elections....

BREAKING: FG Opens Case Against Justice Crack

BREAKING: FG Opens Case Against Justice Crack

by Elanza
May 18, 2026
0

The federal government has open its case against popular blogger and social media influencer Justice Chidebere also known as Justice...

Next Post
Anyaele Debunks Claims: "Tinubu Did Not Rehabilitate Me After Sierra Leone Attack"

Anyaele Debunks Claims: "Tinubu Did Not Rehabilitate Me After Sierra Leone Attack"

Taraba APC Chieftain Denies Involvement in Alleged Plot to Woo Gov. Kefas from PDP

Taraba APC Chieftain Denies Involvement in Alleged Plot to Woo Gov. Kefas from PDP

Recommended

No APC Aspirant Matches My Grassroots Strength — Girei

No APC Aspirant Matches My Grassroots Strength — Girei

4 days ago
Genevieve Nnaji: Nollywood barely 40 years old… we’ve achieved so much in short time

Genevieve Nnaji: Nollywood barely 40 years old… we’ve achieved so much in short time

2 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Political Imprint Of Dr. Hadiza Balarabe On Sanga Politics

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Movement For Better Taraba Endorses Danji SS for Governor, Calls for APGA Support

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (833)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (404)
  • Health (252)
  • National (3,330)
  • News (10,364)
  • Opinion (444)
  • Politics (2,165)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (718)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform