• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home Sports

Sabalenka out for vengeance in Gauff showdown

Ojimaojo Abubakar by Ojimaojo Abubakar
January 24, 2024
in Sports
0
Sabalenka out for vengeance in Gauff showdown
0
SHARES
6
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Four months after her defeat in the U.S. Open final, Aryna Sabalenka will have the opportunity to avenge that heartbreak when she meets Coco Gauff in the semi-finals of the Australian Open on Thursday.

Sabalenka is the defending champion, having landed her first Grand Slam crown at Melbourne Park last year, and is yet to drop a set in her run to the semis this season.

She is only the third woman to reach six consecutive Grand Slam semi-finals since the turn of the century after Americans Jennifer Capriati and Serena Williams.

RelatedPosts

Man City Beat Liverpool To Rekindle Fading Premier League Title Hopes

Barcelona Beat Mallorca To Extend Liga Lead

Gyokeres Double Moves Arsenal Closer To Premier League Title

The Belarusian baseliner was once famous for failing to master her emotions on court but the Sabalenka who has demolished all comers in Melbourne this year seems far more at ease with herself.

Her social media feeds are filled with lighthearted moments with her coaching team, and one of her rituals is to sign her name on her fitness trainer’s bald head before each match.

Levity aside, however, she remains a formidable competitor, with the raw power to blow her opponents away from the back of the court.

“After the U.S. Open, I really want that revenge,” Sabalenka said of her meeting with Gauff.

Teenager Gauff, who won her first Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open, leads their head-to-head with four wins from six meetings and knows she will have to raise her game if she is to reach the final.

ALSO READ:  AFCON: Ivory Coast Sack Coach Despite Possibility of Second Round Qualification

She eased into the quarters without dropping a set but her level dropped noticeably in her last-eight clash with Marta Kostyuk.

The 19-year-old struggled with her serve against the Ukrainian and was forced to fight her way back from 5-1 down in the first set, then lost a second set tiebreak, before finally finding her feet in the third set to advance.

“Definitely a ‘C’ game,” was Gauff’s verdict. “Didn’t play my best tennis.”

A lot will depend on whether Gauff can get her service game back to where it was before the quarter-final.

While the second semi-final could have been forecast before the tournament, it would have been a brave pundit who would have predicted the first between Dayana Yastremska and Zheng Qinwen.

The pair came through the top half of the draw where all but one of the 16 seeds were knocked out before the quarter-finals, including world number one Iga Swiatek.

Ukrainian Yastremska, who will be playing her ninth match at the tournament after becoming the first women’s qualifier to reach the last four in Melbourne since 1978, said she had been paying no regard to rankings.

“The girls at any ranking can show amazing game,” she said. “I was doing just my thing and focusing on myself, the way I play. I think that’s working.”

Zheng, the 12th seed, is looking to follow in the footsteps of compatriot and hero Li Na, who became the first Chinese player to win the Australian Open a decade ago.

Li, who played four semi-finals in Melbourne, gave the 21-year-old some advice when they met after Zheng’s third-round victory.

ALSO READ:  Liverpool Survive Late Scare to Defeat Bournemouth in Six-goal EPL Opener

“She said to me ‘don’t think too much, just keep it simple’,” Zheng said.(Reuters /NAN)

Previous Post

China’s Guizhou eyes 1trn yuan digital economy in 2024

Next Post

Rights groups welcome call for Beijing to protect N/Korean defectors

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Ojimaojo Abubakar

Abubakar Ojimaojo is a graduate of Mass Communication, political and football analyst currently work at elanzanews.ng as Editor. He pride himself as skilled wordsmith with a passion for delving into contemporary political issues on both national and international scale.

Related Posts

Man City Beat Liverpool To Rekindle Fading Premier League Title Hopes

Man City Beat Liverpool To Rekindle Fading Premier League Title Hopes

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 9, 2026
0

  Erling Haaland’s stoppage-time penalty earned Manchester City a dramatic 2-1 win at Liverpool on Sunday to reduce Arsenal’s lead...

Barcelona Beat Mallorca To Extend Liga Lead

Barcelona Beat Mallorca To Extend Liga Lead

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 8, 2026
0

Robert Lewandowski and Lamine Yamal scored as Barcelona eased to a comfortable 3-0 win over Mallorca on Saturday to move...

Gyokeres Double Moves Arsenal Closer To Premier League Title

Gyokeres Double Moves Arsenal Closer To Premier League Title

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 8, 2026
0

Arsenal moved ever closer to a first Premier League title for 22 years as a 3-0 win over Sunderland took...

Next Post
China’s Guizhou eyes 1trn yuan digital economy in 2024

Rights groups welcome call for Beijing to protect N/Korean defectors

NCS destroys seized contraband, expired goods in Sokoto

NCS destroys seized contraband, expired goods in Sokoto

Recommended

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

WAEC Introduces Paperless Certificates Across Five Member Countries

4 hours ago
I’m building a strong coalition to challenge APC – Atiku

Atiku Criticizes Flaws in Both Electronic and Manual Election Results Transmission

7 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,646)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform