• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Relieved U.S. TikTok enthusiasts hope ‘magic’ returns as app is restored

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
January 20, 2025
in News
0
Relieved U.S. TikTok enthusiasts hope ‘magic’ returns as app is restored
0
SHARES
10
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram
On Saturday night, for the first time in five years, millions of American TikTok users who logged on for a late-night scroll were met with an unwelcome notice that their beloved app had been banned and shut down.

Their exile lasted less than 24 hours, ending when the Chinese-owned company restored service on Sunday after President-elect Donald Trump, who returns to power on Monday, said he would revive U.S. access.

But the TikTok masses had already started contemplating life without the app that has captivated nearly half of all Americans.

RelatedPosts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

As users returned, some cringed at sappy goodbyes posted before the shutdown or thanked Trump on social media site X, while others wondered whether the TikTok world would ever be the same again.

“We’re back but at what cost?” one user mused on the platform.

Trump’s action to save TikTok, owned by ByteDance, represents a reversal from his first term in office.

In 2020, he aimed to ban the short-video app over concerns the company could share Americans’ personal info with the Chinese government.

More recently, Trump has said he has “a warm spot in my heart for TikTok,” crediting the app with helping him win over young voters in the 2024 election.

TikTok stopped working for U.S. users late on Saturday before a law shutting it down on national security grounds took effect on Sunday.

ALSO READ:  U.S. election: Harris, Trump head to swing states

Trump said he would “extend the period of time before the law’s prohibitions take effect, so that we can make a deal to protect our national security.”

“I would like the United States to have a 50% ownership position in a joint venture,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.

Though relieved, some users wonder if such a change to the company’s ownership structure would ultimately alter the TikTok experience.

“I think back to when Elon bought Twitter and how dramatically it shifted overall sentiment and how people interacted on the app.

“So that gives me a lot of concern,” said Kelly Sites, 38, referring to billionaire Elon Musk’s purchase of the social media site now known as X.

“I don’t want the magic of the algorithm to change,” said Sites, a part-time content creator based in Kansas City, Kansas.

The algorithms TikTok relies on for its operations are deemed core to the overall operations of ByteDance, which would make a sale of the app with algorithms highly unlikely, Reuters reported in April.

While questions linger about the future of TikTok, some users – particularly those who earn a living from it – lament their trust in the government will never be the same.

“I think that this is a very sad time in history,” said Richard “Chuck” Fasulo, 37, a mechanic and auto-influencer from Duchess County, New York.

Fasulo told Reuters that the app helped him dig his way out of debt, more than double his income and take his family on vacation for the first time last summer.

ALSO READ:  Groups Celebrate Kaduna South Senator-Elect Birthday With Widows, Orphans

Confronting the specter of losing the business opportunities that the app provided him was not a pleasant experience.

“I think that myself, like many others, have gained a lot of disdain for the U.S. government,” said Fasulo, who has about 400,000 followers.

For others, however, relief is the important thing, no matter its source.

“I would choose a political stunt over losing TikTok forever,” Charlotte Warren, 31, a dating and relationships content creator based in Austin, Texas, told Reuters.

Without TikTok, she said she could lose up to 60,000 dollars in annual income, over 200,000 followers and was unsure if she would continue posting content to other platforms.

“I just wanted my app back.” (Reuters)

Previous Post

Trump wants 50% U.S. ownership of TikTok

Next Post

Trump to be sworn in as president of United States

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

  Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson died Tuesday, his family said in a statement. He was 84....

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

Abuja church raises ₦2m for 14-year-old author

by Elanza
February 17, 2026
0

By Abubakar Yunusa The Regional Pastor of Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries, NCR 88, Lugbe, Abuja, Hilary Chukwuma, has...

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

Court to Hear Suit to Deregister ADC and Three Other Parties on February 24

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 17, 2026
0

The Federal High Court in Abuja has scheduled a hearing for February 24 concerning a suit aimed at compelling the...

Next Post
Trump to be sworn in as president of United States

Trump to be sworn in as president of United States

Military kills Turji’s son, several others terrorists in Zamfara

Military kills Turji’s son, several others terrorists in Zamfara

Recommended

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

Kukah Disclaim Those Using His Name To Solicit Funds From Unsuspecting Individuals

6 days ago
Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

Rescue in Borno: 11 Civilians Freed, 16 ISWAP Fighters Killed

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (257)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (238)
  • National (3,071)
  • News (9,645)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform