• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Reckless Driver Damages Ogun Lotto Bridge, FG Laments Impact

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
April 22, 2025
in News
0
Reckless Driver Damages Ogun Lotto Bridge, FG Laments Impact
0
SHARES
8
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The Federal Government has expressed concern over significant damage caused to the almost-completed Lotto Bridge Interchange on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Ogun State.

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, expressed concern during an inspection of the site on Monday.

RelatedPosts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Kesha said that the damage was caused by a low-bed articulated vehicle, which was transporting an excavator and collided with the bridge structure.

She expressed worry at the extent of the destruction, saying that the incident occurred in the early hours of Thursday, when the excavator’s boom, not adequately secured, struck the bridge beams.

“From what we observed, the excavator’s boom was not properly lowered from the port, which made it too high to pass under the bridge,” she said.

According to Kesha, the accident damaged five beams on the bridge, two of which were severely compromised and required complete replacement.

She said that the damage would adversely affect road traffic, motorists and the economy.

Kesha said, “To carry out the repairs, we will have to shut this section of the road and divert traffic to the other side.

“Anyone familiar with the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway knows how critical this route is. Traffic here is something else.”

She said that besides the inconveniences, there would be financial implications of repairs on the bridge.

“The damage is extensive, and it will cost the nation a lot.

ALSO READ:  EFCC honours top performers, award car, cash prizes

“We will use this as a lesson; people must understand that their carelessness has consequences for millions of Nigerians.

“We will not condone this kind of recklessness,” she warned.

She said that a detailed assessment of the damage had been ongoing since Friday, adding that while no specific timeline had been set for the repairs, work would begin as soon as the report is submitted and approved.

“We are preparing a comprehensive report, which includes the scope of work, cost implications and a detailed repair plan.

“Once we get the go-ahead, the contractor will swing into action,” she added.

Kesha also highlighted the broader damage caused by heavy-duty vehicles on Nigerian roads.

She urged vehicle owners and logistics companies to take precautions and ensure their trucks were roadworthy and within height limits.

She said that weighbridges, designed to check overloading, would soon be operational at the Old Toll Gate on the expressway.

“It is not just about good roads. When drivers overspeed or carry loads far beyond safe, these roads become hazards. What happened here is a clear case of negligence.

“The minimum clearance height is five metres; we even exceeded that to 5.6 to six metres because we know the kind of drivers we deal with.

“The Lotto Bridge was almost completed, with only the connecting ramps left to be finished by the contractor, who took over from Julius Berger.

”Unfortunately, the recent damage is expected to delay the project by several months,” she regretted.

Kesha confirmed that the police had arrested the driver responsible for the incident.

ALSO READ:  Police Capture Three Suspects Linked to Lakurawa Terrorism in Kebbi, Reject ₦1 Million Bribe

She said that the bridge, which was designed to ease traffic for commuters heading to Ikorodu, Sagamu, and Mowe, would remain closed until all necessary repairs were completed.

“The Lotto Bridge is not in use yet. We were preparing to open it soon, but that is now on hold.

“We will not take any risks. We owe Nigerians safe infrastructure, and we will do everything it takes to fix the damage and ensure safety before opening it,” Kesha said.

She reaffirmed the government’s commitment to maintaining public infrastructure and ensuring the safety of lives and property.

 

(NAN)

Previous Post

Kwara Insecurity: Idris Seeks Tinubu,Ribadu, Others Intervention

Next Post

Tinubu returns to Abuja after working visit to Europe

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the full scope development of 8.6-kilometre highway 105,...

Next Post
Tinubu returns to Abuja after working visit to Europe

Tinubu returns to Abuja after working visit to Europe

Aviation Ministry disputes reports on Enugu airport concession

Aviation Ministry disputes reports on Enugu airport concession

Recommended

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

5 days ago
Nigeria Unveils Critical Push to Fortify Poultry, Safeguard Food Supply Amid Disease Threat

Nigeria Unveils Critical Push to Fortify Poultry, Safeguard Food Supply Amid Disease Threat

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (255)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (237)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,642)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform