Connect with us

National

NSA hands over 58 rescued victims to Kaduna govt

Published

on

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Saturday, handed over 58 people rescued by the security agencies in joint operations to the Kaduna State Government.

Ribadu handed over the victims to the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Christopher Musa, who will hand them over to the government.

Gen. Musa who presented the victims to the representative of the state government and Chief of Staff to the Governor, Sani Kila, said that no money was paid for their rescue.

” The rescue is as a result of combined efforts of the military and other security services.

“The operation was both kinetic and non-kinetic which requires efforts by all and not just the military kinetic efforts,” he said.

The CDS said that all Nigerians must take ownership of the operation for the security agencies to succeed.

“What we are seeing out of this, is the success of the collaboration right from the top. From the presidency, to the Office of the National Security Adviser, Ministry of Defence to all agencies working together, including the Kaduna State Government.

“The governor has been very supportive and very helpful and it is this collaborative effort that has made it possible for us to be able to rescue these individuals.

“It is a joint effort and we were able to do that through non-kinetic means of getting across. No penny was paid for these individuals,” .

“Now, I want Nigerians to understand that if we do not work together, it will be extremely difficult for us to succeed.

ALSO READ:  N'Assembly Meeting With Labour Unions Ends In Deadlock

“The success depends on all of us working together because it is a whole-of-society approach,” said.

Musa said that certain individuals had been trying to make it impossible for the government to succeed by sabotaging the efforts of the government.

He added that the security agencies were working round the lock tirelessly to make sure Nigerians feel safe and protected.

“Today is Saturday, many people would have wanted to be home, relaxing, but we are working. Saturday, Sunday, day and night and all Nigerians have keyed up, and everybody is contributing to the success we are seeing.

“I want to also inform Nigerians that we will continue to work hard together and will not leave any stone unturned until every Nigerian that is in captivity is freed and Nigerians are free to move about within the country, both day and night, as it used to be before.

“We assure Nigerians that we are getting all the support to ensure that we work, and we assure Mr. President that we will do everything possible, and including Nigerians, until we succeed, we’ll continue to push,” he added.

The defence chief clarified that contrary to the believes of many, not all persons involved in banditry were willing tools, adding that some were conscripted.

He said the military will continue to go after the perpetrators, adding :”they will not be let free for the innocent blood they have shed”.

The National Coordinator National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Maj.-Gen. Adamu Laka, said the victims were kidnapped from their homes and farm lands in Gayam, Sabon layi and Kwaga villages of Dan Musa Local Government Area of Katsina State.

ALSO READ:  FG to unveil National Values Charter in Q1 – Tinubu

Laka said that troops of I Division, on Nov. 14, at about 1500hrs successfully led a joint operations leading to their rescue.

He said the victims comprised 35 males and 23 females.

According to the him, preliminary investigation revealed that the victims were kidnapped by suspected armed bandits under the command of a notorious bandit called JANBROS.

“During the kidnap, the victims were made to trek for hundreds of Kilometers through the thick forest of Birnin Gwari.

“Upon their rescue, the government provided them with all the necessary assistance required to stabilise them for subsequent handing over to ONSA for rehabilitation and immediate medical checkups, where they have been examined and six were admitted.

“The six admitted victims have recovered and joined us for subsequent handing over to their respective families,” he said.

The Chief of Staff to Kaduna Governor, Sani Limankila thanked the security agencies and called on all Nigerians to team up with security agencies to end kidnapping. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

Nigerian Air Force Appoints Ehimen Ejodame as New Spokesperson

Published

on

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has officially appointed Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame as its new spokesperson, as announced in a statement on Thursday by Kabiru Ali, the deputy director of public relations and information.

Ejodame succeeds Olusola Akinboyewa in this pivotal role. The statement highlights his extensive background and expertise in logistics, strategic planning, and defense management.

Ejodame is a distinguished member of the 45th Regular Course at the Nigerian Defence Academy. He possesses a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, a Master’s degree in Transport and Logistics, and a PhD in Information Systems and Management Studies from the University of Sheffield, United Kingdom.

His professional trajectory includes participation in numerous advanced military and strategic training programs, such as logistics training at the United Nations International Peace Support Operations Centre in Kenya and the Optimisation and Decision Making in Supply Chain Course through the Erasmus Intensive Programme in Portugal. He also excelled at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College in Jaji and the Air Force War College in Makurdi, graduating as the Best Graduating Participant. Furthermore, he has been recognized with the Chief of Defence Staff and Chief of Air Staff Awards from the National Defence College in Abuja.

Ejodame has held several significant positions, including directing staff roles at both the Armed Forces Command and Staff College and the National Defence College. He was the pioneering Dean of the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences at the Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) in Kaduna, as well as the Director of Procurement at the same institution. His diplomatic experience includes serving as Nigeria’s Defence Adviser at the High Commission in Malaysia, where he was also accredited to nine other countries, fostering Nigeria’s defense relationships in the region.

ALSO READ:  Protest: We are after only enemies of state – CDS

A noted scholar, researcher, and public relations expert, Air Commodore Ejodame is affiliated with the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations (NIPR) and the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM). He is also a Fellow of the Air Force War College, National Defence College, the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, and the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Management of Nigeria.

Ejodame’s appointment is anticipated to significantly bolster the NAF’s public relations and strategic communication initiatives.

Continue Reading

National

Okphebolo Commends tribunal Judgment Affirming His Election

Published

on

Monday Okpebholo, governor of Edo, has commended the judgment of the state governorship tribunal that affirmed his victory in the September 21, 2024, election.

On Wednesday, a three-member panel of the tribunal led by Wilfred Kpochi, a judge, ruled that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, failed to prove the allegations against the respondents.

The tribunal held that “no competent witnesses were called” by the petitioners to prove the averments in their petition.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had declared Okpebholo, candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as winner of the election.

Okpebholo polled 291,667 votes to defeat his closest challenger, Ighodalo of the PDP, who got 247,274 votes.

Ighodalo and PDP had approached the tribunal to challenge the outcome.

In a statement released by Fred Itua, his chief press secretary (CPS), Okphebolo asked Ighodalo and other members of the opposition parties to join hands with him for the progress of Edo state.

The governor commended the people of the state for their support and “belief in his vision for a prosperous and united state”.

He added that his administration “remains focused on delivering on its campaign promises and will not be distracted by frivolous litigation”.

“This victory is not mine alone, but a victory for every citizen and resident of Edo State,” the statement reads.

“It is a mandate to continue the work we have started, to build a state where everyone has the opportunity to thrive. We remain committed to our promise of good governance, transparency, and inclusive development.”

ALSO READ:  NSE Vows To Continue Promoting Local Content, Talent In Engineering Sector
Continue Reading

National

Arik Air Airlifted 2.23m Passengers In 2024, Says AMCON

Published

on

The Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) says Arik Air airlifted 2,239,176 passengers in 2024, accounting for a 19.3 percent market share.

Arik Air has been under the receivership of AMCON since 2017.

Citing a report by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) on international and domestic flight operations in 2024 in a statement on Wednesday, AMCON said Arik Air operated 10,699 flights between January and December 2024, making it the second most active airline in terms of passenger traffic and flight operations after Air Peace.

Breaking down the figure, the corporation said the report showed that Arik Air recorded 1,112,358 inbound passengers and 1,126,818 outbound passengers.

“According to the report, the total number of air travellers in the domestic scene in 2024 was 11, 549,443 with inbound at 5,727,700 and outbound passengers at 5,821,743. This figure shows that Arik Air captured 19.3 per cent of the total passenger traffic for 2024, while it had 15.1 per cent of the total 70,543 flights operated by the 15 domestic airlines in the year under review,” the statement reads.

“The Executive Summary on International and Domestic Flight Operations 2024, as captured by the NCAA, indicated that Arik Air had 1,112,358 and 1,126,818 as inbound and outbound passengers for 2024, respectively, making it a total of 2,239,176 passengers ferried in 2024.

“Monthly breakdown of the passenger traffic indicated that Arik Air had 37,772 inbound passengers and another 38,987 as outbound passengers in January 2024, totalling 76,759 passengers.

“For February, the airline recorded 38,217 as inbound and 39,209 as outbound, totalling 77,426; March, 37,183 as inbound and 37,642 as outbound, making it a total of 74,825; April, 31,326 as inbound and 31,971 as outbound, making 63,297.

ALSO READ:  FG to unveil National Values Charter in Q1 – Tinubu

“The airline in May 2024, also recorded 39,006 as inbound and 39,765 as outbound passengers, totalling 78,771 for the month, while the month of June had 37,710 as inbound and 38,617 as outbound, totalling 76,327.

“July, 156,146 as inbound and 159,044 as outbound, totalling 315,190; August, the airline recorded 153,080 as inbound and 144,259 as outbound, making it a total figure of 297,339 within the period.

“For the month of September, Arik Air recorded 143,396 as inbound and 145,096 as outbound, making it a total figure of 288,492; October, 129,506 as inbound and 133,330 as outbound, totalling 262,836.

“November, 252,448 as inbound and 255,578 as outbound, making it a total of 508,026, while December had 56,568 as inbound and 63,322 as outbound, making it a total of 119,890 passengers ferried within the period.”

The NCAA report, according to AMCON, indicated that Arik Air recorded only one overbooking or denied boarding incident in 2024, which occurred in October.

“Also, a month-by-month breakdown of flights operated by Arik Air in 2024 showed that the airline had a total number of 380 flights in January 2024; 419 flights in February and 468 flights in March 2024,” the agency said.

“Further breakdown showed that for the month of April, the airline operated a total number of 340 flights; May, 374; June, 350, while it peaked in July, going as high as 1,403 flights in just one month.

“Besides, in August, the airline operated 1,320 flights; in September, 1,352; in October, 1,266; in November, 2,442, while it operated a total of 585 flights in December 2024. The airline within the period also had a total number of complaints among the air travellers, with just 190, with the majority being resolved by the airline.

ALSO READ:  Turquaz Group CEO, Süreyya recognised with corporate leadership award

“The further breakdown of complaints indicated that for the month of January, there were no single complaints from any of its air passengers ferried within the period, had just two complaints in February, while March recorded only one complaint.

“April had four complaints; May, two; June, one; July, three; August received seven complaints; September, 28; October, 50; November, 67, while December 2024 recorded only 25 complaints from the flying public.

“Besides, Arik Air did not record a single baggage miss in 2024, with all 84 delayed baggage items, as indicated by the NCAA statistics, handed over to their owners.”

Olumide Ohunayo, general secretary of the Aviation Safety Round Table Initiative, described Arik Air’s 2024 performance as exceptional, transporting 2.23 million passengers, which he said reflects the airline’s resilience and strategic management under challenging conditions.

“With a 13.4 percent market share out of the 11.5 million total domestic passengers, Arik Air’s sustained dominance highlights its strong operational efficiency,” Ohunayo said.

“This result demonstrates Arik’s operational stability under receivership. Despite financial constraints, distractive litigations, fleet limitations, and regulatory challenges, the airline continued to deliver reliable air travel services, showing effective route management and passenger demand optimisation.

“It should be noted that Arik Air suffered severe disruptions due to a high court order grounding some of its aircraft last year when mediation was a better option to the instantaneous grounding by the executive.”

Also, Roland Iyayi, managing director of Top Brass Aviation Limited, praised Arik Air’s feat, stating that securing the second position in Nigeria’s domestic market ahead of Ibom Air (1.3 million passengers), Max Air (915,918), and Aero Contractors (964,900) is a “huge and massive achievement” given its receivership challenges.

ALSO READ:  NSE Vows To Continue Promoting Local Content, Talent In Engineering Sector

“Arik Air’s performance is remarkable given its limited access to fresh capital, ageing fleet, and regulatory hurdles tied to its receivership status,” Iyayi said.

“The Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) strategic support deserves recognition for its crucial role in stabilising Arik Air, ensuring its continued operations, and maintaining confidence among passengers.”

Iyayi credited AMCON’s intervention for Arik Air’s continued relevance in Nigeria’s aviation industry, preserving jobs, economic contributions, and ensuring safe services for travellers.

In January, the corporation said Arik Air and its affiliate companies had racked up debts exceeding N455 billion as of December 31, 2024.

Continue Reading