Connect with us

News

NDLEA Nabs Ex-Convict, Seizes 316,800 Bottles of Codeine in Rivers

Published

on

Operatives from the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have apprehended former convict Eniola Sodade for passport racketeering at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) in Ikeja, Lagos.

According to NDLEA spokesman Femi Babafemi, Sodade had previously been arrested in June 2024 for drug trafficking and served a four-year prison sentence. After his conviction, he was given the option to pay a fine of N750,000, which he settled to regain his freedom.

In a recent operation in December 2024, NDLEA officers discovered 52 passports concealed in shipments bound for Canada, Russia, and other countries, hidden within shoe soles and food items. This led to the arrest of four individuals associated with the syndicate, including Sodade and accomplices Saheed Awwal, Salaudeen Afeez, and Adebayo Bamigbade. The suspects and evidence were subsequently handed over to the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) for further investigation.

In a separate operation, NDLEA officers at the Port Harcourt Ports Complex in Onne, Rivers, recovered over 316,800 bottles of codeine-based syrup during a joint examination with the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on December 31, following credible intelligence.

Additionally, NDLEA operatives raided a local dealer’s residence in Kano, recovering 149,090 pills of tramadol and exol-5 from 45-year-old Ismail Muhammad.

In Kwara, two individuals, 24-year-old Khadijat Abdulraheem and 20-year-old Ayomide Morakinyo, were arrested for allegedly producing and selling drug-laced cupcakes to local students. A search of their apartment yielded 42 pieces of the illicit cakes.

ALSO READ:  Gov. Sani inaugurates literacy, numeracy accelerator
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

MSMEs backbone of the Nigerian economy – Minister

Published

on

Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr Jumoke Oduwole, has described Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) as the backbone of the Nigerian economy.

Oduwole stated this on Wednesday in Makurdi at the opening of a 2-day Benue Inventors and Entrepreneurs Exhibition 2025.

The minister stated that MSMEs contribute more than 48 per cent to the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and also account for 96 per cent of businesses and 84 per cent of employment.

She said that entrepreneurship was a key driver of any thriving economy and urged the Nigerians to continue to strive in the sector.

Oduwole said the Federal Government was committed to implementing policies and initiatives that would strengthen the MSMEs.

The minister promised that the government would continue to work on ease of doing business.

“This is just a call to action to continue to support your ingenuity, and we commend your resilience and your determination to build businesses that not only meet your needs in this community but also contribute to the broader economic landscape.

“So the products on display today are a testament to your hard work and creative vision, and I have no doubt that these products are poised to compete both locally and on the global stage.

“To the esteemed consumers and visitors here today, this exhibition offers you an opportunity to experience firsthand the quality and innovation of locally made products.

“By supporting these businesses, you’re contributing to the growth of our national economy, creating jobs and promoting sustainable development.

“Let us make a conscious effort to prioritise made-in-Nigeria products,” she said.

ALSO READ:  Tragic Stampede Claims Lives of Children at Ibadan Carnival

Oduwole commended Gov. Hyacinth Alia for his vision and commitment to fostering an environment that empowers entrepreneurs, promotes local production and drives the growth of the local economy.

The minister stated that Benue, known as the Food Basket of the Nation, has vast agricultural resources that contributed significantly to Nigeria’s food security.

She said the state has embraced the entrepreneurial spirit by creating policies and directly supporting the facilitation of industrial growth and support for innovative-driven businesses.

“This exhibition is a testament to the creativity, talent and ingenuity that defines the good people of Benue.

“It reflects the spirit of resilience and innovation that defines the individual entrepreneurial energy of this great state,” she said.

Commissioner for Science, Technology, and Innovation, Mr Nick Eworo, said in his welcome address that the state was well positioned to become the hub of innovation and technological advancements in North Central Nigeria.

Eworo said the theme of the exhibition, “Innovating for a Sustainable Future”, reflects the state’s commitment to leveraging science, technology, and entrepreneurship to drive lasting change.

“Benue is brimming with untapped talent, and what you see today is just a glimpse of the vast potential that exists across our state,” he said (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Barau condoles with victims of Edo attack, donates N16m

Published

on

Deputy President of the Senate, Barau Jibrin, on Wednesday sympathised with the families of 16 travellers killed in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Barau met with the families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in Bunkure town, headquarters of Bunkure Local Government Area.

Barau promised to sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.

He also announced a donation of N1 million to each family, totalling N16 million.

He said, “I am here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday.

“May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured.

“I was worried when the incident happened and immediately contacted the state governor, security agencies, and stakeholders. They acted swiftly, and so far, 16 suspects have been arrested.”

The state governor, who visited Barau’s house in Abuja, assured him that the state government would support the families.

“We will not take this incident lightly and will ensure that the culprits face the full wrath of the law,” Barau added.

The Chief Imam of Bunkure, Sheikh Zainul Abidina Auwal, thanked the senator for his efforts in ensuring justice and described him as a leader needed for national development. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Appraisal Of NDLEA's Rehab Efforts
Continue Reading

News

FG re-opens Independence Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

Federal Government has announced immediate re-opening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina bound) to vehicular traffic.

The Minister of Works, Sen. Dave Umahi, announced this in a statement by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mrs Olukorede Kesha, on Wednesday.

The government had announced closure of the bridge starting from April 1 for essential maintenance and rehabilitation works.

It was to remain closed until May.

However, in the statement, Umahi said that necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out later.

He said that palliative works were underway to ensure that the bridge would be motorable.

He regretted inconveniences caused to the motoring public by the closure, and appealed for understanding and cooperation. (NAN)

ALSO READ:  Sallah: Crisis Looms In Kano As Dethroned Emir Bayero Plans Durbar
Continue Reading