The Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) BEECROFT disrupted a drug syndicate and seized 489kg of cannabis sativa in the Amuwo Odofin area of Lagos State.
The commander of NNS BEECROFT, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, told journalists on Friday that the narcotics had been handed over to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for further action.
“NNS BEECROFT’s patrol team, acting on credible intelligence, seized 489kg of smuggled cannabis sativa on Wednesday night around Abule Osun, Amuwo Odofin, Lagos State.
“The perpetrators abandoned the illegal items and are currently on the run, but we are tracking them. We have an idea of their location, and they will soon be arrested and handed over to the appropriate authorities,” he said.
Mr Adams-Aliu, who recently assumed command of NNS BEECROFT, said his mission was to reposition the ship to fulfil its mandate of securing the waterways in and around Lagos State.
The commander added that the strength of his mission was drawn from the vision of the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Adm. Idi Abbas.
He said the chief of naval staff was committed to building a mobile, agile, professional, and dedicated navy to secure Nigeria’s maritime domain and support national security in collaboration with other agencies.
“Crimes that originate on land and extend to the sea always return to land. We will deal decisively with perpetrators who continue their illegal activities.
“Some of these smugglers come from neighbouring countries, attempting to exploit our waterways. We know their routes, but that will no longer be allowed,” Mr Adams-Aliu added.
The commander said NNS BEECROFT, would continue to work with sister agencies to eliminate criminal activities.
“The handing over of the seized narcotics reflects the collaboration between security agencies,” he said.
The deputy controller of narcotics, Festac Town, Gbenga Adejumo, described the Nigerian Navy as the agency’s biggest collaborator in the fight against drug abuse and trafficking.
Mr Adejumo thanked the navy for its efforts and said he hoped the collaboration between the two agencies would continue until all sponsors of drug abuse were brought to justice.
He explained that drugs handed over to the NDLEA were destroyed by burning after a court injunction had been obtained.
“We conduct the burning far from residential areas to prevent health risks.
“While the agency is working towards a safer alternative, this remains the approved method for destroying seized drugs,” Mr Adejumo said.
(NAN)







