• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

Kaduna, Kano, Katsina Rush To Prevent Flood Disasters

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
August 5, 2025
in News
0
Kaduna, Kano, Katsina Rush To Prevent Flood Disasters
0
SHARES
17
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

Various Federal and state agencies in Kaduna, Kano, and Katsina are ramping up efforts to mitigate flooding.

This is being achieved through a variety of plausible efforts, including stormwater drainage management, riverbank protection, and bolstering climate resilience initiatives. These efforts aim to prevent or mitigate the impact of floods, but challenges persist, as recent floods have caused destruction, displacement, and loss of life across Nigeria.

RelatedPosts

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

The Nigerian Meteorological Agency, in its 2025 flood forecast, predicted flood disasters across the nation, including the three states. It had also taken some precautionary measures, including clearing drainage systems, relocating residents, and constructing flood barriers, among others.

In Kaduna, the government, in collaboration with federal agencies and development partners, has ramped up preparedness efforts to mitigate the impact of projected heavy rains and potential flooding across the state.

Usman Mazadu, the executive secretary of the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency, stated that the state had activated its 2025 Flood Emergency Operation and Response Strategic Team, along with a fully equipped Emergency Coordination Centre.

Mr Mazadu said the centres were stocked with tents, food, non-food items, and basic medical supplies to serve as temporary shelters in the event of displacement. Mr Mazadu also confirmed that the state had updated its 2022 Flood Risk Map and Contingency Plan, in line with the latest forecasts by NiMet.

At NEMA’s zonal office in Kaduna, its head of operations, Sulaiman Muhammad, said the federal agency had pre-positioned emergency relief items and deployed search-and-rescue teams across strategic locations.

ALSO READ:  House of Reps fixes Jan. 7 for commencement of 2025 budget defence

In a similar move, the Kaduna State Ministry of Environment announced that it had commenced dredging and clearing of waterways in flood-prone areas, including Barnawa, Kigo Road, Bashama Road, and Ungwan Rimi.

The Commissioner for Environment, Abubakar Balarabe, stated that notices had been issued to residents in low-lying areas, warning them to relocate ahead of the peak rains.

Hadiza Halid, the coordinator of ACReSAL, stated that the World Bank-supported project was addressing the root causes of flooding through catchment protection and landscape restoration.

NiMet had earlier warned of a high probability of flash floods in parts of Kaduna, including Chikun, Igabi, Jema’a, Zaria, and Soba LGAs. Officials expressed confidence that the coordinated response would minimise risks and enhance resilience as the rainy season peaks.

In Kano, the State Emergency Management Agency said it has developed comprehensive strategies and an emergency response plan to mitigate flooding across the state. The executive secretary of the agency, Isyaku Abdullahi-Kubarachi, disclosed this in an interview in Kano.

He said a high-powered committee, chaired by Deputy Governor Aminu Abdussalam, was set up to oversee the desilting of drainages across the 44 local government areas of the state.

According to him, the initiative had significantly reduced flooding in Kano in 2024.
He said the state government had also organised several stakeholders’ engagements on disaster risk management and flood mitigation to enhance coordination, collaboration, and response during emergencies.

Mr Abdullahi-Kubarachi said SEMA had embarked on sensitisation campaigns across radio, television, markets, emirate councils, and communities to encourage residents to clear waterways and reduce flood risks. He added that the agency had prepared temporary shelters for internally displaced persons ahead of any emergency.

ALSO READ:  Davido’s Sisters Tried to Kidnap Our Daughter"— Claims Sophia in Court

Mr Abdullahi-Kubarachi said the state government would continue to collaborate with the NEMA to address flood-related challenges and safeguard lives and property. He urged the public to adhere to safety guidelines and avoid actions that could expose them to disasters, noting that such incidents could lead to economic hardship, loss of lives, and destruction of property.

He commended Governor Abba Yusuf for his proactive approach to disaster risk reduction and his continued support for emergency management efforts in the state.

NEMA’s Kano territorial coordinator, Nura Abdullahi, affirmed the agency’s unwavering support in advancing disaster preparedness, mitigation, and response efforts. He emphasised the need to collaborate with stakeholders to reduce community vulnerability to various hazards, noting that failing to take swift and appropriate action can often escalate emergency situations.

In Katsina, the state government, through its emergency management agency, had spent over N451 million to assist approximately 1,064 flood victims in the state in 2024. Governor Dikko Radda disclosed this on July 23, while receiving a donation from NEMA.

(NAN)

Tags: Flood DisastersKaduna
Previous Post

Sabon Garin Damri residents blast gov lawal over security after bandit attack

Next Post

Nigerian Police Accused of Brutality, Extortion; PCRC Warns Against Protest

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

NEMA Steps In with Relief for Bandit-Hit Niger Communities

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has distributed relief materials to victims of bandit attacks in Allawa and Bagna communities,...

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

Navy Smashes Renewed Illegal Refinery Ring in Rivers

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The Nigerian Navy has foiled a fresh attempt by crude oil theft syndicates to re-establish a major illegal refining network...

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

Tin-Can Customs Hits ₦1.6 Trillion in Record Revenue Haul

by Nathaniel Irobi
May 24, 2026
0

The Tin-Can Island Port Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) generated ₦1.609 trillion in revenue throughout 2025, exceeding its...

Next Post
Police Capture Suspected 'One-Chance' Robbers in Wuse II

Nigerian Police Accused of Brutality, Extortion; PCRC Warns Against Protest

Living With Yayale Taught Me Humility,Humanity – Salihu Mahmud

Living With Yayale Taught Me Humility,Humanity – Salihu Mahmud

Recommended

Court Grants Malabu Oil & Gas Leave For Judicial Review in Suit Against FG

Court Grants Malabu Oil & Gas Leave For Judicial Review in Suit Against FG

2 days ago
Sen Katung Calls for Unity After Kaduna South APC Primary Victory

Sen Katung Calls for Unity After Kaduna South APC Primary Victory

5 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court Rejects Stay of Execution Bid Against United Methodist Church

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Nigerian Govt laments gaps in polio eradication despite $500m spent

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Jaba APC Leaders Unveil 2027 Consensus Candidates

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • The Political Imprint Of Dr. Hadiza Balarabe On Sanga Politics

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (26)
  • Business (836)
  • Education (276)
  • Entertainment (412)
  • Health (253)
  • National (3,340)
  • News (10,405)
  • Opinion (445)
  • Politics (2,186)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (421)
  • Sports (725)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform