Connect with us

Politics

INEC meets party leaders on Edo, Ondo guber elections.

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it has recovered from the recent flood disaster that damaged some facilities at the Benin office of the commission.

INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu stated this during the commission’s regular quarterly consultative meeting with leaders of political parties in Abuja on Monday.

Yakubu said in 53 days to the state governorship election holding on Sept. 21, INEC preparations were going on in earnest.

“I am glad to report that we have recovered from the torrential rainfall that resulted in the severe flooding of our state headquarters in Benin City two months ago.

“The damage to the physical infrastructure has been fixed. Vehicles have been repaired while other movable and immovable facilities have been serviced, refurbished or are being gradually replaced.

“We have delivered additional Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) machines to Edo State for the training of election duty personnel as well as contingency for Election Day support,’’ Yakubu said.

He also disclosed that INEC had amended the list to the published final list of candidates for the state election following recent Court Order mandating INEC commission to replace the running mate of the Labour Party’s candidate.

Yakubu also urged political parties participating in the election to ensure to meet up with the deadline in uploading  the details of their agents for Edo election to enable the commission to produce their accreditation tags on time.

“As at yesterday, Sunday July 28, fourteen political parties have uploaded the details of 38,354 polling agents and 819 collation agents for the Edo State Governorship election.

ALSO READ:  No Breach of Constitution in Governor's Trip - Ally Defends Niger Leadership

“Three parties are yet to upload a single polling agent while five parties have not uploaded a single agent for Ward, Local Government and State collation centres.

“The deadline is tomorrow Tuesday July 30 when the portal automatically shuts down at midnight,’’ he said.

Yakubu advised party leaders to demonstrate compliance with the commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Political Parties 2022, in their campaigns for Edo and Ondo governorship election.

“The campaign period has often been characterised by acrimony and tension. Sadly, it is also a period of verbal abuse and physical confrontation among parties, candidates and their supporters.

“The Commission finds the recent event in Edo State resulting in the death of a security personnel worrisome. Happily, there has been no incident known to the Commission since then.

“Nevertheless, the Commission will meet with the security agencies under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES).

“ I want to assure you that security in Edo and Ondo will be a major issue for discussion at the meeting.

“We are as concerned about the safety of your candidates, agents and supporters as well as about the security of our own officials, observers, journalists, service providers and, above all, the voters,’’ he said.

Yakubu  said that the final voter register for the governorship elections in Edo and Ondo States being finalised would be published before the end of the week.

He said that thereafter, the timetable for the collection of uncollected Permanent Voters’ Cards (PVCs) would be published.

Yakubu also said that date for the conduct of bye-elections in Oyo , Kaduna and four other states would soon be announced.

ALSO READ:  2027: Shekarau, Yakasai, Ardo, Others Form Northern Democrats

In his remarks, IPAC Chairman, Alhaji Yusuf Dantalle, pledged the council’s commitment to work with INEC for voter sensitization and the conduct of credible polls in Edo and Ondo.

Dantalle said there was no substitute for free, fair, credible, transparent, inclusive and peaceful poll.

“The success of this (Edo) election along with Ondo’s will go a long way in restoring trust in the democratic process essential for enduring representative governance.

“Once we get our elections right and credible leaders emerge, there will be drastic reduction in elections petitions and litigations,” he said.

Dantalle urged citizens to close ranks, and imbibe issue-based campaigns and participate in making Nigeria elections transparent and accept the will of the people expressed in their votes.

He said the era of do-or-die politics and vote trading was over.

“As INEC continues to improve on its various technologies that will enhance electoral integrity, Nigeria will regain its past glory as the great arsenal of democracy in Africa.

“To achieve this, IPAC strongly advocates for the establishment of the Electoral Offences Commission to prosecute electoral offenders to serve as a deterrent to others who may want to tow this path of dishonour,” he said.

Dantalle reiterated the council’s call for the scrapping of States Independent Electoral Commissions (SIECs) and the empowerment of INEC to conduct all local government elections.

“Politics is local, citizens should be encouraged to actively participate in grassroots politics and contribute in building a better society.

“In this vein, IPAC calls for the amendment of the Constitution and the Electoral Act to empower INEC to conduct all Local Governments polls.

ALSO READ:  President Tinubu Assures Stable Energy Power, Others In 2024

“Council rejects the proposed bill by the Senate to create the so-called Local Government Independent Electoral Commission, bearing in mind that it would be another SIEC in disguise.

At the meeting were party national chairmen, including APC National Chairman, Ganduje, and APGA National Chairman, Chief Edozie Njoku, who was attending the meeting for the first time after his recognition by INEC. (NAN

Politics

Ighodalo vows to Appeal tribunal verdict upholding Okpebholo’s election victory

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, Mr Asue Ighodalo, has said he will challenge the tribunal’s judgment at the Court of Appeal.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Gov. Monday Okpebholo’s victory and dismissed the petitions from the PDP and Ighodalo.

Ighodalo, in a statement in Benin, said his decision to challenge the judgment aimed to protect Edo people’s collective rights and ensure they freely determine their future.

“Today, the Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on our petition challenging the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 election in our dear state.

“While we may not all agree with the verdict, we remain steadfast in our belief that the rule of law must continue as democracy’s foundational bedrock.

“Our pursuit of justice affirms our firm belief that Edo people’s right to freely choose their leaders through credible, free, and fair elections must always prevail.

“As a committed democrat, I respect the judiciary as the last hope of the common man and urge all Edo people to remain peaceful, calm, and law-abiding,” he stated.

Ighodalo said this was not the end of their journey but the beginning of a greater struggle for justice, democracy, and the sanctity of the people’s mandate.

He commended the people for their massive support, sincere love, and belief in their shared vision for a prosperous Edo, which had fuelled their journey.

“For us, this has never been about personal ambition but about our conviction to create a clear ‘Pathway to Prosperity’ for Edo while upholding democracy’s core values.

ALSO READ:  President Tinubu Assures Stable Energy Power, Others In 2024

“I have, therefore, instructed my legal team to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge this decision, which we consider a serious miscarriage of justice.

“This is not about me or any single individual; it is about democracy’s essence, our collective right to determine our future, and our legacy for generations unborn.

“We remain resolute. We remain committed. We shall not waver in our pursuit of truth and justice,” Ighodalo said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Reactions trail Edo tribunal judgement

Published

on

Mixed reactions have continued to trail the tribunal’s judgment affirming the election of Gov. Monday Okpebholo as the winner of the Sept. 19 governorship election in Edo.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Okpebholo’s victory.

It dismissed the petitions filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo.

Reacting to the judgment, the Edo chapter of the PDP expressed disappointment with the ruling delivered by the three-man election petition tribunal, led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi.

Chris Nehikhare, the State Publicity Secretary of the PDP Caretaker Committee, said the party was waiting to receive the Certified True Copy of the judgment before making further decisions.

“PDP is disappointed with the judgment of the Justice Wilfred Kpochi-led panel.

“As a party, we are waiting for the Certified True Copy. We will study it and decide on our next course of action,” Nehikhare said.

Mr Aslem Ojezua, a former PDP chieftain who defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC), said he was unsurprised by the tribunal’s decision, as the petition lacked merit.

“What I expect now is for Ighodalo to congratulate Okpebholo and join hands in solving the problems confronting our people and communities,” Ojezua said.

He added that the verdict was clear, highlighting the distinction between legal and sensational issues.

Chief Dan Orbih, PDP National Vice Chairman (South-South), said the tribunal had spoken, and they could not question its ruling.

Orbih stated that PDP would now focus on bringing back members who left during the primary election that produced Asue Ighodalo as the party’s candidate.

ALSO READ:  Zamfara: Appeal Court's Decision A Victory for Popular Will

He emphasised that efforts would commence to rebuild the party in Edo State following the election setback.

Orbih blamed the PDP’s struggles on former Gov. Godwin Obaseki, accusing him of driving members away from the party.

“Unfortunately, the former governor brought distress, division, and disaster to the PDP.

“Today, I did not see his face among those at the tribunal, waiting for the judgment outcome.

“As it stands, lawyers will study the verdict and make a decision after a careful review of the well-established ruling,” he said. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal Confirms Monday Okpebholo as Governor

Published

on

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal has officially recognized Monday Okpebholo as the legitimate governor of Edo State.

In a series of three judgments, the tribunal rejected petitions submitted by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Action Alliance, and Accord Party.

The tribunal determined that the PDP did not present any witnesses to substantiate its claims of overvoting.

Specifically, the PDP failed to bring forth polling unit agents from the locations where they alleged electoral discrepancies occurred.

Furthermore, the tribunal noted that among the 19 witnesses presented by the petitioners, 14 were ward and local government agents, while the primary witness, who claimed to be a director of strategy for the PDP, had no involvement in the election’s execution.

Additionally, the tribunal remarked that the BVAS evidence submitted by the petitioners was inadequately presented.

ALSO READ:  2027: Shekarau, Yakasai, Ardo, Others Form Northern Democrats
Continue Reading