Connect with us

National

Independence Day: Tinubu urged to reintroduce fuel subsidy

Published

on

Prof. Kenneth Azaigba has urged President Bola Tinubu to reintroduce fuel subsidy to reduce the sufferings of Nigerians as the country turns 64 on October 1.

Azaigba, a professor of History, Federal University Dutse, gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Makurdi.

The university don stated that the reintroduction of subsidies would help the Nigerian economy to thrive.

According to him, the problem had not been the subsidy itself but the management of the subsidy.

Azaigba said that when President Tinubu made the statement,’subsidy is gone’, not only the value of the naira depreciated, but even the lives of the people.

He pointed out that there is no state or economy that survives without subsidy.

“Given the nature of our ecosystem, the president must find a way of reintroducing subsidy; the problem you know is not subsidy per se; the problem has been with the management of subsidy.

“We cannot run an economy like ours without subsidies.

“So the subsidy management regime has to be looked at; electricity tariffs are on the high side, and the price of fuel is also outrageously high.

“There is a need to mitigate that orderwise, we would not be able to breathe in Nigeria again.

“The President needs to revisit some of the economic policies. The impact on the people is too harsh; economic policies are meant to improve not just the economic system but the lives of the people,” he added.

He further stated that when the impact of policies makes life miserable, then such policies need to be revised.

ALSO READ:  Panic buying: Kaduna residents storm fuel stations ahead planned protest

He urged the president to rethink the reforms because the level at which the naira is losing its value was very worrisome, as it was making life tougher for the people.

On Nigeria’s 64th independence, the lecturer said that country has a lot to celebrate as it has made incremental progress in some areas.

“But if you take a look at what has happened since 1960, development has largely eroded the country given the type of resources Nigeria has.

“Given the kind of resources that we have, our resources are still at the level of potential.

“We have not been able to transform those resources into products that can transform the economy, which can improve the standard of living in the country.

“So far, so good; we are on the march to development; hopefully one day we will get there even though it is very slow; Nigeria is making progress.

“Government needs to put on its thinking cap and find solutions to the economic situation that is hovering around the country. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National

INEC: We are not partisan in failed recall of Natasha

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)
INEC logo and Senator Natasha Akpoti (Kogi-Central PDP)

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Ondo 2024: I'm in Race to Return Power to Masses— Ohunyeye

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

Channels

Continue Reading

National

INEC Not Partisan In Failed Recall Of Natasha – Spokesperson

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has denied being partisan in handling the failed recall of the Senator representing Kogi Central, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.

The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of INEC, Rotimi Oyekanmi, who was on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Thursday, explained how the Commission handled the process.

“In the case of the Kogi Central District, we received a petition and a cover letter and of course what Nigerians were saying was that we were taking sides,” Oyekanmi said on the programme.

“But what happened was that in the covering letter, the representatives of the petitioners did not include their address as required in our regulations and guidelines and what we just did was to ask them to supply their address, it has nothing to do with the petition.

“And of course, there is nowhere in the law where INEC is asked to reject a petition just because the cover letter did not contain the address. So, there was no hanky-panky in what we did.”

Earlier on Thursday, INEC rejected the petition to recall Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan, saying that it has not met the requirements.

The electoral commission said the petition to recall Senator Natasha did not meet constitutional requirements.

Senator Natasha was suspended for breaching Senate rules, prompting some of her constituents to initiate her recall. They claimed the move was to ensure their constituency did not lack representation following the suspension of the 45-year-old senator.

Asked whether there could be a repeat of the recall process, the INEC spokesperson said the law did not specify if the process could be repeated and how many times.

ALSO READ:  Ondo 2024: I'm in Race to Return Power to Masses— Ohunyeye

“The law just talks about the threshold, the threshold meaning that if you want to recall, you must have, in addition to your petition, 50 per cent plus one signatures. The law did not specify how many times you can undertake that,” he said.

The lawmaker has made headlines in recent months after she accused Senate President Godswill Akpabio of sexual harassment, a claim the Akwa Ibom lawmaker has equally denied.

She was thereafter suspended by the Red Chamber for violation of its rule of conduct.

Continue Reading

National

NSA Hands Over Ex-NYSC DG, 18 Other Kidnapped Victims To CDS

Published

on

The National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, has handed over 19 kidnapped victims rescued by the security agencies to the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa.

The brief ceremony took place on Thursday at the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja.

The victims included Ambassador Gideon Yohanna, the former Director-General of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier-General Maharazu Tsiga (retired) who had spent 56 days in captivity and 17 others, including a child.

Both Ribadu and Musa pledged to remain relentless until the criminals are wiped out and normalcy restored in the country.

“As a result of the work of our armed forces and other security services, we are able to rescue and bring back our own people,” he said.

“This time, it involves important personalities who served this country. We thank God for their lives, we are grateful to those who made it possible.

“This is an ongoing operation and we are doing it quite silently, we will go after the bad ones.”

ALSO READ:  2027:New Political Party Emerges
Continue Reading