Connect with us

News

I Was Poisoned At PDP Secretariat In 2018 -Wike

Published

on

Former governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has said that in 2018, he was poisoned at the campaign secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and experienced liver and kidney failure as diagnosed in a hospital in Beirut, Lebanon.

He recalled that on one fateful Sunday in December 2018, when he was due to attend the thanksgivings of his former Chief of Staff, Chief Emeka Woke, he was incapacitated to attend the event because he had been poisoned.

NCC’s Wireless Internet Boosts Teaching, Research In Edo Polytechnic – Rector

Wike spoke yesterday at the family thanksgiving service organised in his honour at St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Rumuepirikom Deanery, of the Diocese of Niger Delta North.

The former governor said: “From that Sunday, I never came down from my room. It will was bad, but those who attended the January 1st, State banquet of 2019, will know that I never spoke that day. I just sat down there and I told my deputy governor to speak on my behalf.

“People didn’t know what was going on. After that banquet, by 12 midnight, I was taken out of the country because I thought it was over. When we got to Beirut, the doctors looked at me and I was looking at them. They were not telling me anything, they said we have to do many test.”

He stated that the next morning the doctors returned and presented a gloomy report that his kidney and liver were no longer functioning.

Wike said: “I never knew that I had been poisoned in our campaign secretariat. My intestinal were all black. The doctors did all they could do.”

ALSO READ:  ‘Daddy Showkey’ lights up wounded soldiers’ Christmas

“But, through divine providence, what would have been a disastrous situation was miraculously turned around by God, who immediately began to restore my failed organs.

“Within one week, God healed him and he was able to return to Nigeria to continue with the 2019 campaign for his second term in office.”

The former governor also recalled that days leading the the 2022 PDP presidential campaign, his wife, Hon. Justice Eberechi Suzzette Nyesom-Wike, called him from London that she had been diagnosed of cancer.

He said he was devastated by the news and even contemplated leaving the presidential race, but his wife urged him not to, adding that, to the glory of God, she was eventually healed of cancer and her life preserved.

Wike said: “God went further to grant me and the state a smooth political transition amidst gang up that was staged by the same people who promised to abide by the collective decision of Rivers elders over who becomes my successor.”

He stated that because the right successor was chosen, he is enjoying peace.

Speaking at the event, Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, said he is part of Wike’s political family which was attacked by the political foes, but they failed to achieve their objectives.

Fubara stressed that because of the culture of thanksgiving to God, the former governor has continued to experience political victories.

On his part, the Bishop, Diocese of Niger Delta North of the Anglican Communion, Rt. Rev. Wisdom Ihunwo, admonished the congregation to always remember that without God no man can attain any position.

ALSO READ:  Kaduna pilgrim returns missing phones worth N4m to owner in Jeddah

Dignitaries who graced the thanksgiving were, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who was represented by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu; Senate President, Senator Godswill Akpabio and Deputy Senate President, Senator Jibrin Barau.

Also present were the Governors Seyi Makinde (Oyo), Hope Uzodinma (Imo), Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri (Adamawa), Francis Ogbonna Nwifuru (Ebonyi) and Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang (Plateau).

Other dignitaries included the former Governors Senator David Umahi Ebonyi), Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti), Ayo Fayose (Ekiti), James Ibori (Delta), Dr Peter Odili (Rivers), Samuel Ortom (Benue), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi ( Enugu), Dr Okezie Ikpeazu (Abia), Abdullahi Umar Ganduje (Kano), Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo (Gombe), Jonah David Jang (Plateau) and Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo).

Members of the Senate and the House of Representatives as well as the Rivers State House of Assembly also graced the occasion.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu approves N20bn take-off fund for NASRDA’s project

Published

on

The National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) is set to commence the implementation of its space regulation and licensing mandate with N20 billion take-off fund approved by President Bola Tinubu.

The Director-General of NASRDA, Dr Matthew Adepoju, said this on Thursday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

Adepoju said the regulatory function of the agency as encapsulated in NASDRA Act (2010) had remained unfulfilled since its establishment in 1999.

He spoke against the background of NASRDA stakeholders’ workshop on space regulation scheduled for April 8.

He said on assumption of office he raised a memo to President Bola Tinubu on the need to enforce the regulatory functions of NASDRA.

According to him, this is in line with the provisions of Section 6 and 9 of the laws establishing it, adding that Tinubu eventually approved the take-off fund.

“When I raised that memo stating that our space can no longer be unregulated, Mr President graciously approved the take-off fund of N20 billion few months ago.

“This is to enable us to commence the space regulation and spectrum management in Nigeria.

“Although times and lots of activities happen that have security implications but if we don’t take charge of our space sector, it will continue to be misused,’’ Adepoju said.

Adepoju said the agency was yet to access the N20 billion, adding that release of funds was always subject to its availability.

“Within the framework of what is possible for us to do now, we’ve set up the platform and we are commencing our regulatory and licensing functions,” he told NAN.

ALSO READ:  Kwara 2027: Calls For Power Shift To Kwara North Gain Momentum

He explained that the space sector had three segments, the upstream, midstream and downstream.

“We have the upstream, which is deep space, the midstream, which is in between the space objects, such as satellites and the planet Earth.

“We have the downstream, which has to do with ground stations, activities and people who are utilising space products and services.
“In between these three sectors, there are activities that must be regulated otherwise Nigerians will be short-changed.

“People have to be licensed and issued guidelines, the spectrum within Nigeria has to be monitored and the agency has been granted this power since 2010 and this has lots of benefits,’’ he said.

Adepoju said the platform for the licensing was ready and open to both public and private sector operators in the space arena.

The licensing, he said, was available for people using and providing space products and services.

He emphasised the need for strict oversight of satellite image providers, geographic information system operators, satellite-based telecommunication and broadcasting services, among others.

He also said that if unregulated, geographical data intelligence could be exploited by non-state actors for illicit activities.

The Director-General further told NAN that the initiative would enhance national security, economic diversification and local content development.

He said it would also generate revenue from sub-sectors such as oil and gas, shipping and telecommunications relied on space products for their operations. (NAN)

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar earthquake: Rescue efforts ongoing amidst increasing fatalities

Published

on

The death toll from a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,085, with 4,715 people injured and 341 reported missing.

This is according to the Information Team of the State Administration Council on Thursday.

Chinese rescuers are continuing search and rescue operations in hard-hit Mandalay, central Myanmar, following the deadly earthquake last week, and have so far rescued nine survivors from the rubble.

On Thursday afternoon, the second batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government arrived in Myanmar.

The second batch of aid supplies include 800 tents, 2,000 blankets, 3,000 boxes of biscuits, 2,000 boxes of mineral water and other urgently needed supplies.

The first batch of emergency humanitarian aid supplies dispatched by the Chinese government for earthquake disaster relief arrived in Myanmar on March 31. (Xinhua/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Nigerian Woman Gives Birth Mid-Flight To Brazil
Continue Reading

News

China threatens retaliation in response to new US tariffs

Published

on

Beijing on Thursday threatened countermeasures after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on Chinese goods, further escalating trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

The U.S. has already imposed 20 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports, prompting retaliation from Beijing.

The latest round, which Trump had announced on Wednesday, adds a 34 per cent tariff hike, raising total duties on many Chinese products to over 50 per cent.

China’s Ministry of Commerce said that the tariffs violated international trade rules and were based on subjective and unilateral assessments by the U.S., calling them a typical act of bullying.

The ministry urged Washington to remove the measures and resolve disputes through dialogue, or it would take countermeasures to protect its rights and interests.

Trump on Wednesday announced new blanket tariffs of 10 per cent on most U.S. imports, with higher penalties based on trade deficits. (dpa/NAN)

ALSO READ:  Alleged forgery: EFCC re-arraigns former Bank PHB MD, 2 others
Continue Reading