• Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
No Result
View All Result
NEWSLETTER
Elanza News
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Education
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • More…
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Elanza News
Home News

How Security Forces Captured Top Ansaru Terrorist Leaders – NSA

Nathaniel Irobi by Nathaniel Irobi
August 16, 2025
in News
0
How Security Forces Captured Top Ansaru Terrorist Leaders – NSA
0
SHARES
60
VIEWS
FacebookTwitterWhatsappEmailTelegram

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Malam Nuhu Ribadu, said on Saturday that security forces recorded a major breakthrough with the capture of two top leaders of the Ansaru terrorist group.

 

RelatedPosts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Ribadu told newsmen in Abuja that the intelligence-led operation conducted between May and July decapitated the leadership of the Al-Qaeda-linked group and dealt “the most decisive blow against them.”

 

He said the operation was carried out in collaboration with the armed forces, intelligence agencies and other security stakeholders.

 

Ribadu added that the operation was launched against Ansaru enclaves in and around Kainji National Park, straddling Niger and Kwara, with links extending into Benin Republic.

 

He identified one of the suspects as Mahmud Muhammad Usman (aka Abu Bara’a/Abbas/Mukhtar), the self-styled “Emir of Ansaru.”

 

Ribadu also identified the second suspect as Mahmud al-Nigeri (aka Malam Mamuda),Bara’s deputy and Chief of Staff.

 

He said both suspects had been on Nigeria’s most-wanted list for years.

 

“Abu Bara was described as the coordinator of terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria and mastermind of several high-profile kidnappings and armed robberies used to fund terrorism.

 

“His deputy, Malam Mamuda, was said to have trained in Libya between 2013 and 2015 under foreign jihadist instructors from Egypt, Tunisia, and Algeria, specialising in weapons handling and Improvised Explosive Device (IED) fabrication,” he said

 

The NSA said the two leaders jointly spearheaded multiple terrorist attacks, including the 2022 Kuje prison break and the attack on a Niger uranium facility.

ALSO READ:  Elections: CODE Expresses Mixed Feelings over Voters’ Turn-Out, Glitches

See also Nigeria risks $110bn food import bill without digital agriculture- Group

Others, he said, included the 2013 abduction of French engineer, Francis Collomp, in Katsina, the 2019 kidnapping of Alhaji Musa Umar Uba (Magajin Garin Daura) and the abduction of the Emir of Wawa.

 

He added that they were also linked to Ansaru’s networks across Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso.

 

According to him, the capture of Abu Bara and Mamuda marks a turning point.

 

” It has dismantled Ansaru’s central command structure and signals the beginning of the end to impunity for terrorist leaders in Nigeria,” Ribadu said.

 

He said security forces also recovered valuable materials and digital evidence during the operation which were now undergoing forensic analysis.

 

According to him, these are expected to generate further actionable intelligence against residual Ansaru cells and their foreign collaborators.

 

“This feat exemplifies Nigeria’s advancing counter-terrorism capabilities.

 

“It followed months of deep surveillance, human intelligence and technical tracking, demonstrating enhanced sophistication and seamless inter-agency synergy,” he added.

 

The NSA commended President Bola Tinubu for providing strategic guidance as well as the armed forces, intelligence agencies and security services for their doggedness in achieving the success.

 

He reassured Nigerians that the government would sustain the momentum, stressing that the fight against terrorism was far from over.

 

“Nigeria will continue to pursue extremists with precision, resolve and unwavering determination,” he added.

 

He also called on citizens to remain vigilant and provide timely information to security agencies, noting that “national security is a shared responsibility.”

ALSO READ:  Nigeria Introduces Drone Technology For Blood Delivery

 

In his remarks, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Alhaji Mohammed Idris, commended the military and other security forces for the collaborative efforts.

 

He also urged the media to continue to deny the terrorists the opportunity to use the media to propagate their evil agenda.

 

“It is incumbent on all of us to ensure that we work collaboratively together so that Nigeria can be safe again,” he said. (NAN)

Tags: AnsaruNSATerrorist
Previous Post

Shinkafi petition Police, DSS over assassination attempt in Abuja

Next Post

EPL: Richarlison Shines As Spurs Boss Frank Seals First Win

Nathaniel Irobi

Nathaniel Irobi

Related Posts

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

Yahaya Bello’s N2.1b Debt Cleared with LGAs’ Money

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The trial of former Kogi State governor, Yahaya Adoza Bello, continued on Wednesday, February 11, 2026, before Justice Maryanne...

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

Nigeria Calls For Accountability, Audit Reforms Across AU Organs

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

Nigeria has called for fiscal discipline, institutional accountability, reform, and timely implementation of audit recommendations across African Union (AU) organs....

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

Wike: Airport Expressway to Kuke Junction Now 73% Complete

by Nathaniel Irobi
February 12, 2026
0

  The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, says the full scope development of 8.6-kilometre highway 105,...

Next Post

EPL: Richarlison Shines As Spurs Boss Frank Seals First Win

PDP South-East Caucus Meets NWC in Abuja to Resolve Leadership Crisis

Kaduna PDP: Seized N25.9m Was for Welfare of 5,000 Party Agents, Not Vote Buying

Recommended

Arewa Group Urges National Assembly to Embrace E-Transmission of Election Results

Arewa Group Urges National Assembly to Embrace E-Transmission of Election Results

7 days ago
NRS Sets Ambitious N40.71 Trillion Revenue Target for 2026

NRS Sets Ambitious N40.71 Trillion Revenue Target for 2026

6 days ago

Popular News

  • Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    Residents flee as flood ravages 10 communities in Kebbi – NEMA

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Library and Information Science, Backbone Of Academic Success – Prof Bunza

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Southern Kaduna Coalition Rejects VP Call For Defence Minister

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • BREAKING News :Shari’ah Council Demands INEC Chairman’s Removal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Opinion: The Philanthropic Footprint of Engr. Haruna Gimba Ladan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0

Connect with us

Facebook Instagram Twitter Youtube
Elanza logo

Elanza News is your NO 1 online platform for all news update.
#SayNoToFakeNews
Contact Us

Category

  • Arts & Literature (25)
  • Business (817)
  • Education (255)
  • Entertainment (338)
  • Health (237)
  • National (3,070)
  • News (9,642)
  • Opinion (396)
  • Politics (1,920)
  • Science (15)
  • Security (413)
  • Sports (604)

Newsletter

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Science
  • National
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Health

© 2023 Elanza News - The No 1 online news platform