Connect with us

Politics

Ganduje Reveals Fresh Plot To Kick Out PDP’s Sim Fubara, Take Over Rivers

Published

on

By Yunusa Abubakar

National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has revealed a fresh plot to kick out Governor Sim Fubara of Rivers State in the next election.

Ganduje said the National Working Committee (NWC) is repositioning the Rivers State chapter of the party to win the 2027 governorship election in the state.

Elanzanews reports that Rivers State is currently under the control of the opposition PDP.

The governor, Fubara, recently parted ways with his political godfather, Nyesom Wike, who currently serves as the FCT minister under the APC-led federal government.

Speaking during the inauguration of the state caretaker committee at the APC national secretariat on Friday in Abuja, Ganduje lamented that since 2015, APC had been suffering some setbacks in the state due to intra-party dispute and litigations.

Recall that the NWC had on Wednesday dissolved the Rivers executives at all levels and constituted a 7-member caretaker committee consisting of loyalists of a former governor of the state and current minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike, led by Tony Okocha.

Ganduje said: “We have decided to reform the party. This won’t be possible without the leadership in the states.

“We want you to make history for our party so that during the next election, we will have Rivers State for APC. You contributed in electing the government of today (president). I can beat my chest; we are proud of you,” the APC national declared.

ALSO READ:  Uzodimma—We Have Reached Near Consensus On Minimum Wage
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ighodalo Will Fail At Appeal Court—Edo Governor

Published

on

Monday Okpebholo, governor of Edo, says Asue Ighodalo, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the September 21 election, and the opposition party will fail in their bid to overturn his electoral victory at the appeal court.

On Wednesday, the Edo state governorship election petition tribunal affirmed Okpebholo as the elected governor of the state and dismissed Ighodalo’s petition.

Ighodalo, who rejected the tribunal’s ruling, said he respects the judiciary but noted that Edo people’s right to credible elections must not be compromised.

The PDP gubernatorial candidate also said his legal team has been instructed to challenge the judgment at the court of appeal.

However, speaking on Friday during a celebration hosted by his supporters, Okpebholo boasted that he would win at the appeal court and even at the supreme court.

The Edo governor said the opposition party is “wasting money on court cases,” adding that his “mandate cannot be hijacked”.

“The opposition party has been talking and shouting, but Edo people spoke very clear and loud with their votes on September 21, 2024,” Fred Itua, spokesperson to the governor, said in a statement.

“Edo people voted for the right person in Senator Monday Okpebholo. The people will speak again when the time is right.

“We have defeated them at the tribunal, and they said they want to appeal the ruling. If they like, let them appeal and even get to the Supreme Court. We will defeat them.

“They have stolen enough money from Edo State. So, they are wasting the money on court cases. If they like, let them spend the whole money they stole from the people.

ALSO READ:  APC Picks Ondo Gov Candidate Apr 25, Pegs Form At ₦50m

“They will never steal Edo people’s mandates given to me and the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the September 21st governorship election.”

In 2024, the Independent National Electoral Commission declared Okpebholo of the APC as the winner after he polled 291,667 votes to defeat Ighodalo, his closest challenger, who scored 247,274 votes.

Continue Reading

Politics

S’Court Verdicts: Abure Remains Chairman —LP

Published

on

The Labour Party (LP) says the judgment of the supreme court on Friday is an endorsement of Julius Abure’s leadership.

Reacting to the verdict, Obiora Ifoh, the party’s national publicity secretary, said Abure remains the LP chairman.

The apex court had nullified the judgment recognising Abure as national chairman of the party.

The court held that the issue of leadership is an internal affair of a party over which courts lack jurisdiction.

“Supreme Court strikes out Nenadi, Abure suits, says only Political Parties can determine who their leaders are,” Ifoh wrote on the party’s X page.

“It also said that the courts shouldn’t dabble into the affairs of the political parties. Abure is still the National Chairman of the Labour Party.”

The supreme court had allowed the appeal filed by Nenadi Usman, a former senator representing Kaduna south, and one other — and held that there were meritorious.

The apex court also dismissed the cross-appeal filed by the Abure-led faction of the LP, describing it as lacking in merit.

ALSO READ:  Confusion as APC makes U-turn, says campaign council lists not authentic
Continue Reading

Politics

Ighodalo vows to Appeal tribunal verdict upholding Okpebholo’s election victory

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the 19 September governorship election in Edo, Mr Asue Ighodalo, has said he will challenge the tribunal’s judgment at the Court of Appeal.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Edo election tribunal, sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, reaffirmed Gov. Monday Okpebholo’s victory and dismissed the petitions from the PDP and Ighodalo.

Ighodalo, in a statement in Benin, said his decision to challenge the judgment aimed to protect Edo people’s collective rights and ensure they freely determine their future.

“Today, the Edo Governorship Election Petition Tribunal delivered its judgment on our petition challenging the outcome of the Sept. 21, 2024 election in our dear state.

“While we may not all agree with the verdict, we remain steadfast in our belief that the rule of law must continue as democracy’s foundational bedrock.

“Our pursuit of justice affirms our firm belief that Edo people’s right to freely choose their leaders through credible, free, and fair elections must always prevail.

“As a committed democrat, I respect the judiciary as the last hope of the common man and urge all Edo people to remain peaceful, calm, and law-abiding,” he stated.

Ighodalo said this was not the end of their journey but the beginning of a greater struggle for justice, democracy, and the sanctity of the people’s mandate.

He commended the people for their massive support, sincere love, and belief in their shared vision for a prosperous Edo, which had fuelled their journey.

“For us, this has never been about personal ambition but about our conviction to create a clear ‘Pathway to Prosperity’ for Edo while upholding democracy’s core values.

ALSO READ:  Confusion as APC makes U-turn, says campaign council lists not authentic

“I have, therefore, instructed my legal team to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge this decision, which we consider a serious miscarriage of justice.

“This is not about me or any single individual; it is about democracy’s essence, our collective right to determine our future, and our legacy for generations unborn.

“We remain resolute. We remain committed. We shall not waver in our pursuit of truth and justice,” Ighodalo said. (NAN)

Continue Reading